🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DogManDan
    Participant

hi guys, I’m curious if there are other alternatives besides fish oil to make the skin and hair of my pups shine 🙂 also wanted to know how young the pup can start having some of those alternatives. for example the pup is around about 2 weeks old 🙂

#27699 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Are you asking for non-fish oils or asking for other fish-variety oils other than generic “fish” – as in Krill oil, Salmon oil, Sardine Oil, Anchovy oil. Some people used coconut oil, emu oil, and even a blend of plant oils with success as far as skin and coat like Udo’s Oil (plant) and Ultra Oil (plant with fish). I’m just guessing, but when he weans off of mom, you can start giving it. These oils are in other forms of food already like kibble and canned foods, etc, and if he weans to raw food then he would get it naturally from raw fish and other meat/fat. Mine get a little bit from fresh avocado meat and raw sardines and I have Nature’s Logic Sardine oil, Udo’s, krill, coconut and emu oils on hand. I haven’t used anything but krill/sardine oils and raw sardines and avocado and what’s in their commercial food on my guys and they are super soft and have no smell or dandruff and my black one is real shiny. He used to not be when he was a pup.

#27758 Report Abuse
    DogManDan
    Participant

oh thanks a lot pugsmomandy, much appreciated. I see coconut oil on your list as alternatives that we have around. question though you mentioned tuna, is it alright to feed them with canned tuna flakes thats rich with fish oil but was made for human consumption. I plan on mixing them with some rice. so more like rice tuna flakes 🙂 I’m guilty at times of feeding them table scraps.

#27769 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes you can feed them canned/packaged tuna for people. Just try to avoid “salt added”.

#27859 Report Abuse
    DogManDan
    Participant

alright cool thanks on that pugs, im trying to make some switches between homemade cooked food and raw. thinking it would be good for them to make their stomach resilient to any food 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.