🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl S

I am feeding Bear, 10 1/2 year-old Black Lab, Rachel Rays’ ZERO GRAIN Beef, Potato and Bison dry food. He is also taking APOQUEL for allergies. I would like to try another dog food to see if I can wean him off the allergy pills. They cost $61 per month and I would rather avoid medication if possible. His allergies cause ear yeast infections and some licking, I would judge the licking at 60 out of 100 before he started Apoquel. These symptoms are usually food related according to my research. Any thoughts ? Thank you 🙂

#97452 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Switch immediately to Zignature kibble, different formulas, proven for allergy prone pets. Anything Potatoes exacerbates yeast issues. Do not wait and stop the mess. Your vet should know better.

#97453 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Sorry, I meant stop the meds.

#97454 Report Abuse
    Christi B

Has your dog had blood drawn for an allergy panel? We had problems and found out our dog was allergic to several things and we’re feeding Fromm Chicken a la veg

#97455 Report Abuse
    Joelle V
    Participant

You may also want to investigate Petcurean go sensitive dry or canned food. For a dog I had with similar allergies, I also made my own food, with rice, a single protein, some veggies, and vitamins and fish oil. It helped, it did not cure the allergies, as grass was also an allergen.

#97464 Report Abuse
    Leslie W

Potatoes, peas, carrots create “sugars” thus you have the creation of itchy yeast. Definately look for something without the potatoes and low to no peas or carrots.

#97468 Report Abuse
    elaine c

omg stop the meds and get him on ANSWERS dog food. I know that the well meaning people in the post above are trying to help but I am telling you and even them that kibble is processed and it is not great for dogs. They will live on it but not thrive. look this food up and yo will never never go back to kibble or canned food. Meds make up for bad food!!
    ANSWERSPETFOOD.COM

#97480 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’d avoid foods with white & sweet potatoes, if you can. I have a yeasty dog and he finally cleared up on raw.

Good luck!

#97574 Report Abuse
    Laura B

I have a 2 year old English Mastiff that suddenly developed “spots” all over his back, head and face, some scaled (just on back) and some not, dry nose (use nose butter). No itching, no crying, doesn’t seem phased by it. I originally gave him benedryl thinking he may have been bit by something. That didn’t phase the “spots.” I took him to the vet, they said allergies. He’s on prednisone and an antibiotic for an ear infection. I’m assuming it’s his food, but we feed him Fromm and have for the majority of his life. We also have 4 other dogs and we are the nasty free feeding kind (please do not judge, when we did timed feeding 3 out of the 4 gorged themselves and free feeding they don’t). My question is the vet said let him get off his pills and if the spots continue, change foods. We’ve done the grain-free and he had the runs, so swapped him. Now, he doesn’t want his food, only milkbones and peanut butter milkbones. I am in search of a recommendation on how I know if this allergy is his food or just outside allergies (pollen). He does also eat raw chicken and pork (usually chicken) on occasion.

#97918 Report Abuse
    Cheryl S

THANKS for the advice 🙂 I just ordered Zignature Kangaroo for him 🙂 The 26% protein and 14% fat is good for him. Concerning cost..It is $68.97 and free ship for a 27 lb. bag from Chewy.com. The Rachel Ray was $22.98 plus sales tax for an 11 lb. bag so Zignature is app. $7 higher cost, minimal. With the free shipping it is actually cheaper 🙂 I will let you know how we do 🙂 Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.