Allerderm EFA-Z Plus?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Allerderm EFA-Z Plus?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leah12345

Not sure if this is diet and health or another forum so let me know. My year old Lhasa mix had some food allergy issues that led to paw chewing that was solved with better food. Unfortunately after a few months of no itching she started itching this week all over. Biting her behind and scratching terribly. Poor girl. The vet suggested Benadryl and Allerderm EFA-Z Plus. The Benedryl did nothing, but when I added the Allerdem EFA-Z Plus, her itching decreased by 90% or more. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Is it okay? It is added to her kibble and is a fatty acid/zinc/vitamin supplement. Could I get the same result from changing her diet? Any thoughts are appreciated. Leah

#49325 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve never heard of that product, sorry.

#49329 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Leah, I just googled Allerderm Efa-Z Plus & its made by Virbac, from what I read it looked very good high in omega 6, Virbac also makes Allerderm EFA Gel Caps & the gel caps have 130mg of Omega-3 & 48mg omega-6, there also was Allerderm EFA-Caps HP with 200mg omega-3 & 88mg omega-6, much stronger then the the liquid & gel caps, I’ve been looking for something for Patches itch & red paws all week & was going to try the Flaxseed oil but now I’m going to try the Allerderm EFA Gel Caps with Patch first & see if he can stomach the caps & see how we go… if your having good results then stick with the Virbac liquid, but the liquid didnt have no omega-3 & omega-3 is needed for itchy skin, maybe try the gel caps with the omega-3′ & omega-6 when the liquid is finished…..What is her diet?? & was her poo’s Ok after having the Allerderm EFA Liquid..

#49341 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Leah

These are the ingredients from the MSDS sheet for the Allerderm EFA-Z Plus:
    Sunflower Oil 85 – 95%
    Fish Oil 1 – 10%
    Borage Seed Oil 1 – 10%
    Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate <1%

The fact that your dog’s “itching decreased by 90% or more” is remarkable and you are very lucky!!!!

If I were to evaluate this product based on the ingredients alone I would say that the Fish Oil (Omega 3’s EPA & DHA) and the Borage Oil (Omega 6, GLA) are two very good oils for reducing inflammation in a dog’s skin. The Sunflower Oil makes up most of this product and I think the Fish and the Borage oil are far superior for itch relief. Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate is actually a skin and eye irritant and I am not sure why it is in this product. It is sometimes used as a zinc supplement.

I would have recommended a Human Grade fish oil product first and a Borage oil supplement second as these are proven to relieve skin irritations.

Bus since you are achieving such amazing results with the Allerderm EFA-Z Plus I say count your blessings and if the time time comes when the Allerderm is no longer doing a terrific job I would try the Fish oil and the Borage oil.

As for changing her diet you might not get as good results or any results at all because we don’t know if the itching is food related but upgrading her to what you consider a better food is always a good idea!

Good Luck and give your little girl a scratch and a belly rub for me!!!

#49385 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Leah, have you tried “Dermoscent Essential 6” spot on, here’s a link… https://www.pawbyblackmores.com/products/essential-6-for-dogs ..after seeing what is in the Alerderm liquid, Im no sure about giving it to Patch with his IBD & Pancreatitis… I mite try the Dermoscent Essential Spot On instead, that way its on his skin & not in his stomach… what I hate is you pay all this money then Patch has a reaction, my cupboard looks like a chemist shop…
    USA Dog Treats where did you get the ingredients for the Allerderm liquid as I’d like to know what is in their Allerderm EFA-caps HP as they are higher in Omega-3 200mg & 88mg omega-6…when I looked it just gave the omega-3 & omega-6 mg’s, not the ingredients what I need…

#49388 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi sue

I got the ingredients for the Allerderm EFA-Z Plus here:

http://www.virbacvet.com/pdf/product_pdfs/ALLERDERM_EFA_Z_Plus_Essential_Fatty_Acid_Luquid_msds.pdf

And here are the ingredients with amounts for the Allerderm EFA-caps HP:

http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1023100

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Per Capsule
    Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 120 mg
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 80 mg
    Linoleic Acid (LA) 50 mg
    Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) 38 mg
    Vitamin A 800 IU
    Vitamin D 25 IU
    Vitamin E 11 IU

#49393 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks so much! I stopped the benadryl and no additional itching so I am cautiously optimistic. I agree Sue66b about buying this stuff and getting stuck with the products when they don’t work. I have gotten better at returning when possible. USA_Dog_Treats thanks so much for your help and for explaining the ingredients. I am going to stick with this while it works and then change to oil supplements later. My experience says she will need a change in a while. Thanks again and for anyone who comes later, I will try to remember to give an update in a month or so with a better informed rating of this product.

#49394 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi USA Dog Treats Thank-You, now more confussed which product to use but I mite try the Dermoscent Essential Spot on’s first & see how he goes…. Patch isnt scratching at the moment, he just has a few hive like lumps on the white part of his head & his paws, inbetween his toes are always red by night time, I put Cortisone 1% cream at night before bed, when Patch wakes up inbetween his toes are all good again, no redness.. its been raining again for a few days & his paws are real red & sore after the rain… Patch hates his baths so he hasnt had his Malaseb bath for 2 weeks & he’s a bit stinky, yeasty smell…the Malaseb medicated shampoo clears everything up, his toes all clear up but then after a couple of days walking his toes are red again…In the summer I make shallow bath & wash his feet in the Malaseb Shampoo but its cold at the moment & if he hears that bath running he’s off.. He runs around the furniture, I cant catch him, then I think if he hates baths that much, I dont bother …Summer is coming & I want to start him on something by the end of August so he’ll be right for hot summer..
    A lady just rung me from Blackmores she asked what did the vet recommend & I said the vet reconmended the “Dermoscent Essential Spot on”, she said try that first & see how Patch goes cause its applied on the skin there’s less chance of an upset tummy/bowel.. Blackmores also makes PAW Dermega Omega-3 & 6 oral supplement or PAW Coat Skin & Nails multivitamin chews..but again he has to take these tablets or treats..

#49397 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi sue

Since the Malaseb works I am going to make a suggestion for a natural, soothing, cooling, antibacterial and antifungal rinse or spray for the skin that costs me about $15 USD to make a gallon

1 Gallon Aloe Vera juice. No sweeteners or anything else, just aloe vera juice. Remove 16 oz of juice. Replace with 8 oz of regular witch hazel and 8 oz of raw (cloudy) Apple Cider Vinegar. Shake Well

The Aloe soothes and helps rebuild damaged skin.
    Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural, effective antibacterial and antifungal.
    Witch Hazel soothes and cools irritated skin.

You can put it in a spray bottle and mist Patch’s feet and in between his toes. You can mist his body paying special attention not to get any in his mouth, nose or eyes. You can put some in your hands or on a cloth and gently rub it into the places on his head.

This mixture is safe to use up to 2 times a day. The witch Hazel contains some alcohol but the amount used will only bring the total alcohol content of the gallon to just under 1%. I like the regular witch hazel better than the alcohol-free version because the alcohol-free version is preserved with either parabens (bad) or benzoic acid (i’d rather use a little alcohol).

Good Luck and give Patch a body rub for me!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.