🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Cyndi

I’d like to know what you guys use for shampoo on your dogs. I saw the stuff on mercola’s website but it’s a little pricey. I love a great smelling shampoo, because Bailey sleeps about 2 inches from my face, and now that her coat is alot softer, I want it smelling pretty too. & plus she hasn’t had a bath in a while and the shampoo I have here is full of stuff I can’t even pronounce, let alone spell.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

#18474 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I have Mercola, Earth Bath Mediterranean, Green Bulldog and Brothers with Tea Tree.

#18476 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Sandy! I’ll check those out.

#18478 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

We rarely bathe t home but we do have Tropiclean here, just in case.

#18483 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Marie! I saw an old post of yours that made me laugh. Someone had recommended getting their dog tattooed, I think the thread was about microchipping, and you posted something about getting all excited to see the topic of tattoos brought up, Lol! Made me laugh! I’m curious to know how many you have. I have 10 myself. 11 and 12 coming soon. I’ve gotten ones in memory of my immediate family members I’ve lost, and each one I want touched up, and I still need to get one for my dad who passed last year and one for my Moose (my doberman), who I lost almost 2 years ago. My other tatts are just random ones.

#18484 Report Abuse
    Boxermom
    Participant

I use John Paul shampoo for pet. Didn’t even know he’s known for his human hair products when I bought it 🙂
    It says on the bottle “tested on humans first” 🙂

#18487 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I generally use Earth Bath Tea Tree & Aloe and their Creme Rinse. I got Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Protection shampoo for fleas and ticks that I’m trying out now.

#18489 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Boxermom! I didn’t know they made pet shampoo either. That’s funny what it says on the bottle, lol!

& thanks HDM! Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Protection is one of the ones I was going to get. I might also try the Mercola Organic Lavendar shampoo. I LOVE lavendar, even though that stuff is a little pricey.

#18639 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Well, I ended up buying Earthbath Meditteranean Shampoo from Chewy.com when I ordered Bailey’s supplements. I gave her a bath about an hour ago & I LOVE that shampoo! (Thanks Sandy!) I took Bailey outside after her bath to sit on the deck to dry in the sun & holy crap does her coat shine! I am amazed! Not that it was that dull, but man, what a shine! & she is so soft & smells amazing! So, she’s been eating a raw diet for a month now, got a bath with all natural shampoo & she looks awesome! She’s got a soft, shiny coat, bright eyes, whiter than white teeth & a very happy mommy! 🙂 Thank you everyone for all your help, suggestions & opinions! I couldn’t have done it without you! I hope everyone’s having a great weekend!

#18640 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hey Cyndi –

I’m glad to hear Bailey is doing so well. 🙂

Did her diarrhea clear up?

#18642 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Hi HDM! Thanks & yes it did clear up, thank god! All week she’s had small hard normal poop & she’s been doing great. (knock on wood) This week I am going to start giving her tripe. I get my next order from hare today on Tuesday so hopefully that goes off without a hitch. I got tripe by itself and I also got the ground beef with the organs, tripe and bone. I’d like to eventually take her off the Fresh pet all together and do the beef grinds in the mornings instead. Even with the problems she’s had, I am so glad I switched her to raw and stuck with it!

#18658 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cyndi: I have 30+ tattoos. Upper left arm is a crappy St. Francis with three dogs. Too big to cover. Right above the crook in that arm is my two grandaughters footprints/names/birth flowers. Lower left arm is my “catholic arm”: Mary, Jesus, two doves, two cherubs that are coverups. Right upper arm is my favorite: portrait of my two sons when they were little. Rest of that arm is a mis mash: two fairies, one christmas elf (for a friend of mine), a Guatamelan man with samuri sword (memorial for someone). butterfly and my grandsons name. Back has two dragonflies, one dove, one celestial, one cardinal and lower back is some lillies my son grew. I have a big whole in the middle of my back but any time I think about filling it in, I get sick.

Right thigh has three portraits of dogs. Lower right leg has a cross with our names & wedding date and an old school heart with my sons names.

Left thigh has one of my parrots. Lower left leg is an ocean scene I’m working on. The fish/animals came out great but almost 5 weeks ago he did part of the water and it’s horrible. I’m very disappointed. I don’t want him to finish it but I have no choice, no one else has said yes. I went to see him on Saturday but he had the day off.

in a nutshell, thats bout it.

#18660 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Wow!! That’s awesome! From that picture of you that you had just posted, I so wouldn’t take you as having that many, lol! I want to get my dog Moose, who passed away, done, but I am so scared that it won’t come out looking like him. Other tattoos are different, because it doesn’t have to be exact, but the ones of loved ones and our pets, they have to look like them, and I would be totally devastated if I went thru getting a big tattoo like that and it didn’t look like him, you know?

The rest of mine, except for the memorial ones, are just random stuff. My favorite is my tribal lion head (I’m a leo). I think it came out perfect. Tattoos are definitely addictive! 🙂 Thanks for responding! 😉

#18661 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I understand what you mean about tattoos looking like the subject. That’s what I hate about my st Francis. If you click on my picture here, you can see part of my catholic arm.

#18662 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Oh ok, I can see it. That is a great pic! I wish we could post more pics under our “profiles”.

#21365 Report Abuse
    mah4angel
    Participant

I use the Oster Naturals brand, I get it from WalMart, and also Nature’s Miracle fragrance-free odor eliminating formula. I’m not sure that it’s the best that I could be doing for Louie. I REALLY want to make my own dog shampoo and conditioner for him.
    I made my own shampoo and conditioner for myself for about a year and then found a GREAT all-natural, fragrance-free, CHEAP shampoo at Whole Foods that works even better 🙂
    I might check out some of the formulas mentioned here but, we have to give our pup a bath once a week. He wanders through everything and my fiancee and I have pretty intense allergies, PLUS he always stinks! He always smells like his food (which makes sense) but GOODNESS, EW! So, with having to bathe him once a week I need shampoo and conditioner that’s economical.

Also, tattoos! AH! I have two but I have like, three more planned… *sigh* SO addictive!

#63842 Report Abuse
    Cedric F

Hello guys, I have stumble across this little review website called http://bestdogshampoos.com/
    I have found it really valuable. their suggest & recommend mostly natural organic shampoo. I got for my dog Falcon, an awesome deodorizing shampoo called Buddy wash lavender & Mint, this stuff really works for my little yorkshire.
    I hope you guys found it valuable, like I did

#65317 Report Abuse
    Carolyn G

I’ve tried all sorts of dog shampoos, Johnson’s No More Tears (it’s supposed to be gentle), and now I’m on Head and Shoulders 2 in 1. It seems to be doing the trick in decreasing Gracie’s itching. The first time I tried it she was itch free for days. Now, she itches a little bit, but it’s also partly due to her diet – she has food allergies. For now, I’m staying with H&S. Let me know if you or anyone else thinks this is a good or bad product.

#65318 Report Abuse
    Carolyn G

Hi Cyndi. How did you get your picture on your profile? I cannot figure out how to do it.

#65323 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Carolyn G:
    Try using Selsun Blue or the equivalent that contains the ingredient selenium sulfide for your dog’s itchy skin. Leave the shampoo on your dog for 15 minutes before rinsing. This is one of the shampoos I use for my dog when he gets itchy.

#65326 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I have used Earthbath Orange Oil shampoo and Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic formula, and I’m thrilled with both. I also got some Nature’s Miracle Skunk Oder Remover shampoo last week, because we seem to have a sudden overpopulation of skunks in our area. Lily hasn’t been sprayed yet, (knock on wood!) but I figured it was a good thing to have on hand.

#65353 Report Abuse
    Dori

Dog Obsessed. Glad you got the Vet’s Best. I love that shampoo and allergy girl, Katie, loves it too. I use the Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic one on all three girls.

Cedric F. Dogs that have allergies or are prone to seizures should not be bathed with Buddy Wash. All three of their formulas contain wheat and rosemary. Wheat is a bad idea for dogs with allergies and there have been many reports that rosemary may trigger seizures in dogs that may be prone to seizures. Their formulas also contain tea tree oil which is an ingredient that I avoid. Their are controversies as to what the appropriate amount is ok and not ok. Too much could be toxic, a little would be alright. I just avoid it and don’t have to worry about how much is in a shampoo.

#65593 Report Abuse
    Kimi_forever

The shampoo i use is not technically a dog shampoo but is certainly suitable for both animals and humans and a whole variety of uses. It’s all organic, fair trade, and made of oils and obviously no harsh chemicals. i use the unscented mild baby version of Dr. Bronner’s Castile liquid soaps https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/BABYMILD.html

I will admit the labels on the soap freak me out a little, but i dont reallly think you can beat the formula he came up with…”Completely biodegradable and vegetable-based, our Castile Liquid Soaps have been called the “Swiss-army knife” of cleaning – usable for just about any cleaning task. These simple, ecologically formulated soaps are gentle enough for washing body, face or hair, but also powerful enough for tasks like dishwashing, mopping, laundry and even pest control. Different tasks call for different dilutions of the soap. ”
    ingredients:
    Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Citric Acid, Tocopherol
    * CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENT
    ** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Kimi_forever.
    #111967 Report Abuse
    Jack R

this is an actually good article about dog shampoo and grooming http://petfoodcare.com.sg/2018/01/23/dog-shampoo-grooming/

#112270 Report Abuse
    Matt H

Great discussion. Glad to know about this shampoo. 🙂

#113983 Report Abuse

I use Earthbath like posters above me because it’s easy to order from Chewy. I also recognize all the ingredients!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.