šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

I have gotten my dog into the habit of having an after meal snack/treat, which was originally intended to be for the purpose of teeth cleaning, and something he thoroughly enjoyed chewing on……the CT Dental chews. However, over time, he has started chewing the smaller/thinner ones so quickly, that he swallows larger pieces and then regurgitates them. This has become a growing concern to me, obviously. He loves to have something for “dessert” that is chewy. Other than raw bones, are there any suggestions out there, that would be nutritious and enjoyable as a “chew”? It has to be very low fat, non-greasy and help with tooth care. I’ve given him raw bones, but he gets bored with them once the meaty parts are gone, plus I don’t want to give him too many of those. I need something he can spend some time on, as he loves to chew. I’d love to find some type of bones or chews that would fit this description and would give him some real chewing action. Suggestions welcomed!

#26541 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m not sure how much fat is in a chicken or turkey neck with the skin removed.

#26557 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Beef rib bones, cow hoof, and I think trachea is just cartilage, no fat, and some empty marrow bones, braided bully stick.

#26569 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m not sure if ribs would be too fatty, but I love the cow hooves idea. Wasn’t it you, Sandy, that mentioned stuffing them and freezing?

#26587 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

She can cut the meat off the rib bone and yes restuffing cowhooves and marrow bones can add variety. Also stuffing them with something that is not tripe allows them to eat it in the house!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #26595 Report Abuse
    Molzy

Do you have a kong toy? It may not have the dental effects of bones, but for everyday use they are great! We put canned pumpkin in ours, and freeze them overnight. Gives the boys extra fiber, as well as something to do when I leave for work!

#26597 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Well, looks like we’re not off to a very good start with the raw. Gave my little guy a SMALL (a little larger around than a Ping pong ball, about 1/4 inch thick) beef bone, with the marrow in it (just got from the butcher shop this morning), and already have the runs. Not a good indication of things to come if I keep with my plans to start a raw diet! Any comments?

#26598 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

I forgot about the “kongs”. I have a few of them somewhere. I’ll have to get them back out. Great idea! Thanks!

#26601 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nancy M,

Sorry to hear that, but I wouldn’t have started off by giving fatty marrow! Now he might need a bland diet for a week. How about starting with just a bite or two of regular raw food. Just a bite or two per day and increase from there. Instinct comes in bite sizes and you know Primal comes in the small 1 oz size. Half an ounce in the morning and the other half at night when he feels better. Be sure to check the guaranteed analysis on the different flavors and make sure there’s less fat than protein.

#26607 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Pugmomsandy

Thanks for that tip! As far as the marrow goes, obviously you are correct. But the bone had maybe a tsp. of it in there……didn’t think that would affect him like that. Anyway, he’s actually fine now. Ate his evening meal just fine and acting fine. No more runs. I will wait a few days and then start with your suggestion. Thanks very much…..AGAIN.

#26608 Report Abuse
    neezerfan
    #26611 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Neezerfan,

I like that idea! I ordered a couple of those, along with the deer hooves. I had tried the deer antlers once but he lost interest in those after a few days. Hope he likes these! Thank you!

#26615 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

You’re welcome! My dog didn’t love the antler either, but he chews this bone every day.

#26627 Report Abuse
    Rahat

Chewing is a natural behaviour for all dogs. It allow them to explore the world around them, exercise their jaws and even clean their teeth. Bully sticks are one of the most popular dog chews today. Made of beef pizzle, they are dense, flavorful and come in various sizes. If anyone want know more about gourmet dog treats you can visit this site http://www.bowwowbeautyshoppe.com/dog-treats/ you will find so many ways of dog treats in the above site. I hope my post will be helpful for all of you.

#26663 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

What about “bully sticks”…. are they safe? I’ve heard they are loaded with calories and can even introduce bacteria? Opinions and recommendations requested. What kind are best? I have a 20# dog! but he’s an active and hardy chewer…..

#26771 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ve been buying Canine Caviar bully sticks on petflow.com, they seem to have a good price on them. I believe someone once told me that a bully stick can have about 22 calories per inch. Mine usually finish them off pretty quickly, so I’ve never been particularly concerned with bacteria.

Mine have also been loving Himalayan Chews. They’re not soft and they really have to work at them to soften them up enough to scrape any off. I found that when they get to small, you can pop them in the microwave and they puff up like a marshmallow and then can be chewed more easily and don’t pose the same choking hazard as they do when they’re hard.

I was wondering…, I recently got a couple of split antlers and both Sam and Bella love them. Does anyone have a preferred source / brand for antlers? The whole ones don’t seem like they’d be as tasty as the splits. Opinions?

#26779 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Bully sticks are bull penis. LOL! I think sometimes they’re called Pizzle Sticks in certain areas of the country. There are also tendon chews, tripe chews, snout chews, trachea and ears, etc. They even make treats out of lungs! As far as bacteria go, any treat can be potentially contaminated with bacteria. Pig ears have been recalled before.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #26807 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some bully sticks are not properly prepared and you will know it the first time you give one to your dog and the whole house starts to smell like old cow pee, pretty nasty.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.