Advise please

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Advise please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Muttley
    Participant

Hello. I ve adopted a mini schnauzer. he will be 8 in 3 months. he always been fed with Alpo and he is at least 6 -7 lbs overweight which is huge for that type of dog. I want to switch him to grain free dry food. My question is,will he lose weight with grain free dry food? I have selected origen senior grain free dry food or Nutrience grain free dry food. Or should I start him with a diet food and then switch to grain free ? Thanks.

#25033 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Orijen IS grainfree. I’d have suggested Wellness Core reduced fat but Orijen is a great food, too.

#25035 Report Abuse
    Muttley
    Participant

Yes I know its grain free. My question was will he lose weight with a grain free fgood or should I start him on a diet food and then once he lose the extra pound go with origen ? Or does Origen or Nutrience grain free will help him losing weight from the get go with reduced portions.

#25068 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Weight loss is a matter of feeding less calories than the dog is burning. If you feed the same volume of food on Orijen that you were feeding of Alpo, he will gain weight because Orijen has more calories per cup and is better utilized. If you figure out how many calories you are feeding and make sure you reduce calories, then your dog will lose weight.

#25074 Report Abuse
    Muttley
    Participant

Ok . Thank you. I ll go with Origen senior grain free and see from there. Gonna be an improvement anyways from Alpo and less crap in it .

#25077 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That is a really huge change in quality, so transition really slowly, really slowly.

#25078 Report Abuse
    Muttley
    Participant

Yes I still have 5 kilo of the Alpo so i ll go very gradually to make the transition. Thank you very nuch patty

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.