🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

I’m afraid ground raw isn’t going to work for Gemma. She went from pooping at least once daily while on THK /Bravo Balance to every other day on Hare grinds. The reason for going on Hare was her straining a bit to actually poop. She got stopped up a couple weeks after we got her, we don’t know why but she ate Grandma Lucy’s, which is chunkier.
    Anyway, it’s Saturday and she has not pooped since Wednesday morning. A couple other times, I’ve had to add some olive oil to her grinds but it’s not working now. This morning, I gave her THK, thought that might move things along.
    I know this pounds stupid but I can’t deal with this. It’s too stressful. We have a concert tonight, will be gone a number of hours so I’m doing nothing different today to get her o go.
    She has no teeth so no kibble. She is a senior dog, no teeth at all. She weighs about 22 pounds so not a big dog. The THK expired a couple weeks ago so I have to get something new for her. What might you all suggest? THK, canned….something I’m not thinking of? If its canned, what can you recommend for high quality, grainfree, probably human grade? If THK, any particular product of theirs do you recommend? Another dehydrated? Not GL, too chunky.
    Thanks….I just can’t deal with this. My other two can eat the Hare, not willing to continue with Gemma.

Thanks!

#17645 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

When I fed THK I used Zeal, Love, Embark and Thrive. As for canned – the only human-grade canned food is Weruva. My favorite canned foods are ZiwiPeak, Addiction, Nature’s Logic, Merrick and Nature’s Variety Instinct. I think mixing THK and canned might be a good idea – that’s what I used to feed my dogs before I switched to raw. She’ll be getting the bulk/fiber from the THK so that might help her poop but the addition of canned will boost the protein levels. Supplement with some enzymes and it will be nearly as good as a raw diet.

#17646 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HDM you ju posted, hope you red this. Suggestion as to what to feed tonight, THK or her?

#17647 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HDM: thanks for the suggestions. I need to buy stuff tomorrow. She gets enzymes and probiotics.
    I don’t know if I’m making too much out of this but I can’t deal with a dog who’s not pooping. It shouldn’t stress me out but it is. Almost 3 pm and nothing. We leave in a couple hours for concert too
    🙁

#17652 Report Abuse
    jpminnix
    Participant

I fed my dog organic brown rice (instant) and she started pooping a few hours after eating it.

#17653 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I was just making a general suggestion as to what to feed her – but if you’ve got THK and canned or just THK might as well try it tonight.

#17654 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

She ate THK for dinner (early as we’re heading out to a concert) and she pooped, finally! I need to get more, my THK expired last month and will get some canned. Thanks HDM!!

#17656 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I wouldn’t let one month bother you as long as everything looks and smells OK and you will go ahead and use all of it soon, it’s not like you’ve been storing it outside in summer, right.

#17667 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

no Patty, been in my cupboard. I didn’t realize it expired. Im just glad she finally pooped. I don’t like any dog going so much time without going.

#17670 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It makes me uncomfortable to think about it!

#17672 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

How was the concert?

#17673 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I know this is nothing but a quick fix but when I notice mine have not pooped I administer a baby suppository and wait a few minutes and then I got. Pooping dog on my hands. It may help your situation for at least one night.

#17675 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty, the concert was great! If you listen to country, we saw Phil Vassar, again. Our 8 th show of his, I think.
    I’m paying for giving her THK: she had loose poop now. Oh well, I’m relieved she finally went.

#17676 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jpminnix: I don’t give her rice but thanks for responding. Nectar mom, I’d rather she poop on her own, so to speak, not have to use a suppository. If she was trying to go but couldn’t, that’d be a different story

#17677 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Can you give her part THK for the fiber and part something else that isn’t so “bulky”?

#17679 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m tired, I don’t do well on five hrs of sleep…what do you mean bulky?

#17680 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Give her a spoon or two of Honest Kitchen with whatever else you’re feeding her if it makes her poop. I’ve been feeding my 14 yr old Sojo’s with eggs and kibble. He’s still such a food hound so the added volume of food from Sojo’s helps him stay full too.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #17683 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sandy: stupid question: do I add it to her ground raw as is or actually mix it up with water?

#17685 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Bulk is another term for fiber, that’s all. And I would add the water.

#17688 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sandy, so you said “part something else that isn’t so “bulky”…..what do you suggest?

#17689 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I know she doesn’t have teeth but are you afraid of feeding her kibble for that reason? As dogs don’t chew food anyways (most, can’t say all). But I don’t think a dog of her size would have any issue with small kibble. Many old foster pugs are toothless or only have a few and not the ones to crush food with anyways. I don’t know what all she has in her pantry, but just some Honest Kitchen with another one of her foods so she just gets the fiber/veggie bulk from HK to help with the slow poop. Whether that is HK with raw or HK with canned or HK with kibble. And are you still using olive oil? Or the herbal?

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #17691 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m not a huge kibble fan overall, one reason why the other two will be on all raw as soon as their kibble is gone. She is on the two chinese herbs for her joints, per the holistic vet. I tried olive oil to get her to go the other day but it didn’t work. She does get salmon oil and coconut oil (every other day)

#17693 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That was me that made the bulky comment. I would try it with her raw and see if you can figure out what proportion of raw to THK keeps her regular but with a firm enough stool.

#17698 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Oops, sorry Patty, I didn’t realize it was you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.