🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Haleybop

Hi! I feed my 10-month-old beagle Back to Basics (all four high-protein varieties while the duck is still in stock). I add coconut oil in the morning, an additional source of lightly cooked protein for lunch, and a capful of raw ACV (to help keep yeast in check) for dinner.

Since BTB is a high protein/high fat quality food, I’m wondering about my choices for adding additional protein for that one meal. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, BTB does not have any probiotics in it. After a recommendation from Hound Dog Mom, I bought Swanson Ultra Soil Based Organisms. My dog actually chews her food and bites these capsules open. So, I started opening them and pouring half of it in her lunch (she’s only 24lbs). Do you think the probiotics in this item will even make it past her stomach and into her intestines or am I wasting the product? I know there are some dog products out there that your sprinkle on their food, but I wonder about their effectiveness, as well.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!!!

#53142 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some of the probiotics will be destroyed in the stomach, but some will make it through. That’s how they get probiotics naturally. They dig in the dirt and get some of it in their mouth and swallow it, or the suckle from their mom and get what is on her, or they drop their saliva soaked toy and pick it up, 110 times a day.

#53257 Report Abuse
    Haleybop

Thanks, BCnut! I appreciate your input! Have any thoughts on toppers for her food? I already add water to it (and the other stuff I mentioned) but am wondering about even more protein and moisture. I’m thinking of getting some canned green tripe, sardines and maybe just some really good canned dog food. I just figure that the less processed, the better since she’s already on a kibble. Thanks, again!!!

#53274 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Cage free eggs, any lean meats, a few berries for the antioxidants. If you can handle it, a raw turkey, chicken, or duck neck. Fresh is definitely better!

#53350 Report Abuse
    Haleybop

Thanks, once again! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.