šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NectarMom

I have a few questions. I know my dogs cannot handle high fat in raw and I am going to keep them on Brothers Turkey and Egg as the main diet and they have been back on Brothers for 6 weeks but they just smell so yeasty even though they get their tea tree and aloe baths and they are itchy and chew the heck out of their feet. I know since our Pancreatitis episode we have to get past the Candida yeast again since antibiotics but I feel if I just start them off slowly on lean young beef with Steves topper for the added vitamins mixed with the lean young beef that they might benefit from that quicker than just being on kibble 100% of the time?? I would order it from My Pet Carnivore. They just smelled so different than when on kibble. Am I trying to fix this sooner or do you feel this would be ok to try in small amounts?? Please I seriously need some help here.

#18645 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Also the reason for this post is mainly because all 4 of mine are having issues with when I let them outside to go potty that they are mainly focused on eating earthworms in the yard and so this tells me that they are not getting enough protein ( 2 of mine that are doing this NEVER did this before) so my reason for adding lean raw in moderation , like 80% kibble and 20% raw to start out with just to be safe??

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by NectarMom.
    #18670 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Since you know your’s may be sensitive, I would start out with 10% raw and 90% kibble and do that for a couple weeks before upping it anymore. If you stay at 20% raw and 80% kibble, you don’t have to worry about balancing it.

#18701 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thank you for answering Patty. I am thinking of ordering from Hare Today since they have a couple of low fat proteins that might work for my girls. I was thinking Goat and Rabbit since they would be low in fat and one is red meat and one is white meat so a good variety to start out slow. My question is those of you that buy 5 lb buckets of it how do you defrost what you need and keep the rest frozen?

#18702 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would pull the parts that are thawed from outside off of the frozen center and put them in ziplocks in smaller portions, and repeat until it’s all repackaged. Might take a few days. I put a whole 20 lb box of chicken legs and a 40 lb box of chicken necks in the bathtub overnight and still frozen solid the next day!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 10 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #18704 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Thanks Pugsmom. I am going to see if Hare today will call me since they do not have a phone number k
    On their website. Hopefully they tell me more if I should order the Rabbit and or the goat or both or something else.

#18707 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hare Today’s phone number is on the homepage, almost to the bottom.

#18711 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Goat is a low fat meat? My goats have plenty of fat in their meat and they aren’t as fat as a lot of goats I’ve seen. However, their fat is kind of in chunks that are very trimable, not marbled through the meat.

#18732 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I totally missed the phone number on the site but Tracy called me this afternoon and told me what I needed to do. Shes very knowledgable on the Raw topic. I placed my order for ground Rabbit and Rabbits small chunks and some ground Sardines. She recommended no veggies or fruits. I think she is right on the fruits and veggies being that even some veggies have some amounts of sugar and when trying to clear up yeast issues it is best to stay clear of them and she said they are not a part of a wolves diet in the wild so same for dogs. The Rabbit was the lowest fat and next would be young beef which we will offer that at a later time. Tracy said a month at least on the Rabbit then slowly introduce beef and the other meats but she said my girls need to build up their systems on Lean raw before we offer other proteins.

You are correct Patty, Goat is not a low fat but it isn’t really high either. Tracy recommended Rabbit for now since it is a white meat and eventually we will need to feed a red meat. I just wonder if I can use Steve Browns mix with the Rabbit or would that be over kill? I bought 3 bags a while back and need to use them. They are in my freezer right now.

#18735 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If you use a pre-mix with a meat/organ/bone grind the calcium to phosphorus ratio will be off. Most pre-mixes are designed for the addition of boneless meat.

#18778 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Steve Brown says in his book that his mixes can be used with bone or without? I will email him again to make sure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.