šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer N
    Participant

We started feeding our 4 dogs Acana Grasslands on Thursday, and on Saturday one of my four dogs had bumps all over his back. The other 3 dogs are fine. Of course this skin issue could be from anything, but I am trying to rule things out and wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar reaction with the food? This is the first time I had tried Acana.

#97251 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, you have to look at the ingredients, there may be 1 ingredient your dog is very sensitive tooo where your other dogs are OK, when my boy eats, Chicken, Turkey & cooked beef carrots, oats & barley he starts to smell & gets itchy & starts scratching & when he gets his environment allergies in Spring & Summer he gets the hive like lumps all over his body, I bath him in Medicated Malaseb Shampoo weekly or twice a week when he’s real bad…With the Malasab you can bath daily if needed it’s a mild shampoo…. Start keeping a diary for this dog & you’ll start seeing a pattern if it’s Seasonal Environment Allergies & start reading ingredient list & see if there’s an ingredient that keeps being in the kibble when this happens…….
    Acana make a Pork & Squash formula maybe try that formula for him or get the “Canidae” Pure Sea, its limited ingredients & the protein Salmon & is high in omega 3 fatty acid what is needed for skin problems….

#97258 Report Abuse
    Jennifer N
    Participant

Hi Susan, thanks for your reply. I actually gave him a Malaseb bath Sunday night and we’ll continue with that. I understand what you are saying about the ingredients and I do pay attention to that. I was just wondering if anyone else had recently had the experience with this food and a skin issue. Thanks again.

#97271 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, yes there was 1 lady on the “Reviews” section, her dog was reacting to the new US Acana but I don’t remember what formula it was??? also are you feeding the US Acana or the Canadian Acana? the US was sold to new owners…
    It will all depend on the dog, 1 dog might be fine eating this formula then another dog may be sensitive to say the chickpeas, lentils, peas, or beef etc so your dog must be sensitive to an ingredient now you have to work out which ingredient it is. Look for a limited ingredient kibble with a single protein….
    It’s hard working out skin problems it can be environment or food & its weird you have just started this new formula & he has the hive like lumps, but its also the beginning of Spring as well… It’s taken me 3-4 yrs working out my boy & he has Seasonal Environment allergies & food sensitivities.. He does best on Taste Of The Wild Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb & Holistic Select Adult/Puppy Salmon, Anchovy & Sardines grain free & now I’m trying the Canidae Pure Wild so I have a few kibbles I can rotate with, so he’s not eating the same protein 24/7 then reacting to something in that kibble…

#97304 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Susan-

Can you please post where you read that Champion in the US has new owners?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.