šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christine B

I just became a member of this site and was shocked to see the Acana brand on top of your list. A class action suit has recently been filed against this company because of high levels of various toxins in their dog food, i.e. arsenic, lead, etc. Lead can cause liver problems. This is exactly what my dog experienced. I immediately stopped feeding her Acana and she now gets only what I prepare for her in my OWN kitchen. Please check out these facts and remove Acana from your list based on your findings.

Important: Click here to view admin reply below.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Mike Sagman.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Mike Sagman.
    #112656 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

Janet A wrote:

I was curious about the table listed in the lawsuit naming the different Orijen and Acana Foods and the amount of contaminants found. The contaminants are listed in ug/kg and I converted them to parts per million or PPM which is what the MCL or maximum contaminant level is usually given in. I then found what the amount of the contaminant allowed in human food from the International/National Standards for heavy metals in food and compared it to the newly converted amounts in the dog food. Except for two that were barely over the Mercury level allowed, the amounts were found to be safe. For BPA I did not find a concrete set of data for MCL.

#112657 Report Abuse
    Angela P

I paid the year’s subscription TRUSTING this website. I have been feeding ACANA Regionals for last several years because of its 5 STAR Rating under Editor’s Choice. WHY HAD IT NOT BEEN REMOVED? WHY WAS THERE NO ALERT SENT ABOUT HOW THIS DOG FOOD IS DANGEROUS? My beagle died of sudden kidney failure two years ago after I spent nearly $9,000 trying to save him. We could not determine what caused it. NOW I KNOW IT WAS THE ACANA DOG FOOD. I am joining the class action lawsuit. I am also CANCELLING my membership here because I was totally mislead by the recommendations of this website. It cost my dog his life.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Mike Sagman.
    #112658 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. Itā€™s incrediblely hard to trust an ingredientā€™s source and which formula is beneficial for your pets. This website alerts you about recalls but states it does not test the dog food. Home cooking is great but you need to make sure you add the correct amount of vitamins and minerals. If you do choose to go back to kibble, there are many labs you can send a sample to to get tested for whatever concerns you may have.

#112753 Report Abuse
    Sherie S

I just became a member and only came to the this section because I have a question. Iā€™m very disturbed to see there is a food with a major issue on the editors pick list!! Please rectify this immediatly

#112796 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

We have read the same reports. And we share your concerns. However, our ratings and selections are based on verifiable facts. Not on frivolous and unproven claims.

The so-called “study” on which this lawsuit is based appears to have been performed by the same company that published the misleading report on baby food back in 2017.

Here’s another article. And yet another.

Before you fall victim to all the noise and misinformation that pervades the Internet and deprive your dog of some of the very best and safest foods available, stay focused on the facts.

Unlike recalls, lawsuits are based on complaints and accusations only. And when they result in a settlement, the truth or falsehood of the allegations are usually not revealed to the public.

Each of our reviews is based upon the factual information we retrieve from government-regulated and standardized pet food labelsā€¦ and nothing else.

If youā€™ll Google the name of almost any major brand, youā€™ll likely find hundreds of complaints, claims and lawsuits for many of their products.

Once any dog food has been confirmed to have a serious problem, the FDA requires the related company to voluntarily recall its product.

Until we know with certainty if a particular dog food has been tested and recalled, it would be unfair and irresponsible for us to consider unverified claims when writing our reviews.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.