šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Saundra H

I switched my dogs over to Acana Regionals Meadowlands a few months ago. They responded very well, their coats have never looked so good. However I noticed that they started eating grass, not after each meal but often enough to know it was not normal. I cut out all other foods/treats and only gave them the Acana and the grass eating continues. I checked the Champion Foods website and recommended storage for their dog food is “the best storage is in your home in a cool, dry place with a temperature maintained between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit.” I made a mistake and left two bags in the back of my SUV in the barn for the past 4 days with temps in the 90’s. So I messaged Champion on Facebook to see if this was a concern. Here is their reply “High temperatures can negatively impact the nutritional integrity of our foods. It is difficult to say whether your bag of ACANA Meadowland would still be okay to feed. Depending on how warm the bags got while in your car, it could cause digestive upset.” So my concern is how this food is transported and how it is stored in my local store. I know that there is no place in my house that is between 50 – 70Ā°. My air is set on 75Ā°. And I am quite sure that the local pet store does not set their air that low either. So are my dog’s having intestinal distress because Acana food needs to stay below 70Ā°? I am waiting for a call back from their customer service.

#117642 Report Abuse
    Nita H

I feed Orijen, a sister food to Acana. I keep it in the bag inside a sealed plastic tub. My A/C is set at 75 degrees and I have no trouble keeping it fresh. Buying quantities which last about 4 to 5 weeks keeps it fresh in my opinion. I still believe Orijen and Acana are the best brands available.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Nita H.
    #117663 Report Abuse
    Saundra H

Two bags last me 5 weeks, which is why I purchased two. I keep it in a sealed storage tote as well but I know there are times when it gets up in the low 80’s in the house if the humidity is low and the air is off. I am more concerned about how it is handled by the many hands it passes through before it gets to mine. Case in point, it is in the 90’s today and when I went to return the two bags, the pet food store had no air, it was broken. So obviously the dog food is not being stored properly. I told them the two bags I was returning had been in the heat for days but I am certain they will put them back on the shelf. I have no problem with the Acana brand, I agree it is exceptional dog food. But I think the temperature requirements are not realistic.

#117732 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

When my dogs start eating grass it is always followed by vomiting and then not wanting to eat the food. Then it’s a vicious cycle of empty stomach and vomiting bile. I would say the switch but since it’s been months they are used to the food. Maybe in the long run its’ too rich for them? Maybe it’s time for some boiled chicken and rice to get their stomach healed and then slowly introduce the food again. I know I can take back any food at my pet supplies store and they give me full credit. Maybe you can buy a smaller bag and try to introduce the food again just in case it did go rancid. If the grass eating starts again maybe a new food search is warranted.

#117733 Report Abuse
    Saundra H

Hi, Patricia. My dogs never actually get sick, they just eat grass to calm their stomachs. So I think it is more of a sour stomach than an actual upset stomach. They are basset hounds and produce a lot of bile on empty stomachs so they are fed 3 times a day. I returned the Arcana and am going to transition them over to Merrick Grain Free Chicken and Sweet potato. I was telling my ex-husband about the temp requirements of 50 – 70Ā° and he said in all his over 2,500,000 miles of driving semi delivering cross country he has never seen dog food delivered in a climate controlled truck. That there is no way it would be delivered in the summer and meet the 70Ā° requirement. I voiced my concerns to Champion but they were not able to offer any assurances that these temperature requirements are being met.

#117782 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Hi Saundra…I feel for you. I have three chihuahuas. One being 16 who has one kibble and topper she eats(with EXTRA cooked food for her when the others aren’t looking) I then had to search for another kibble and topper when the younger one got very picky and stopped eating.Had to find topper and kibble that would agree with BOTH of them so as not to be buying like 6 different brands of food of wet and dry etc. FInally have them transitioned over to the Stella’s kibble and freeze dried raw. I’m able to get recipes like rabbit topper for the one that gains weight easily and duck for the picky one. Sometimes she still needs another topper on top of the topper to get her going. But so far so good fingers crossed. Don’t remember being this worried about what I was feeding my kids when they were little.. I really need some grandchildren. lol Hope the Merrick works out for you.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Patricia A.
    #117883 Report Abuse
    Saundra H

Well the Merrick won’t work as I forgot my female basset won’t eat sweet potato. Back to the store again. In the meantime, my female got very sick and after a $312 vet visit, she has intestinal inflammation. They put her on anti diarrhea medicine and ID canned food for 5 days. No way am I giving her anymore of the Acana. I have to assume all of the stomach upsets over the past 2 months (which is the amount of time they have been eating Acana) have been a result of this food being stored improperly during shipment. I told the vet about the temperature requirements for the food and she was shocked. You try to give your pets the best and it backfires!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.