šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chloe G

After ruling out medical, I don’t know why my pup stopped liking the taste of the wild high Prairie puppy food. I got him when he was 7 months old, transitioned him from Purina puppy chow to TOTW and he loved it! I doctor it up with egg, olive oil, cooked meat and a bit of yogurt (or some combination of those ingredients) each meal. One day, about a week and a half ago, he stopped eating it. He’ll lick the yogurt, pick at it, and walk away. My trainer said sometimes dogs will not eat to see what else you’ll give them, so in the meantime, exercise him well and over the food right after. He still doesn’t eat it. I’m looking to try a new kibble, in case TOTW is too rich for his stomach and giving him indigestion.

Any recommendations at this point? Something decent quality, maybe not too rich? Or something?

#83409 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

He might be waiting for whatever topper you’ve used that he likes the most. Will he eat it with the cooked meat or the egg etc? Or does he just eat that off the top and leave the kibble?

#83411 Report Abuse
    Chloe G

The topper didn’t change when he started avoiding his food. And it didn’t matter which topper was presented, he still only ate a little or licked the egg off a little. He even left pieces of bacon I mixed in in an attempt to encourage his appetite!

I’m thinking I’ll just start transitioning to a mid-tier food like nutro puppy food to see if it’s just now palatable and take it from there…

#83413 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

See if you can get Fromm or NutriSource near you. My picky dog ate both of those without canned. Seems to have good palatability. I’m not sure if Nutro does or not, but you could try it.

#83415 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Were you using a new bag of food when he started to refuse? Might be something about that bag he didn’t like, a bad batch? Or if the bag was in use, perhaps it was starting to get a little stale, or oils going rancid? Something that we wouldn’t notice , a slight odor for example, might be enough to turn him off. Wouldn’t hurt to try a new bag if you really want to keep him on the TOTW. Otherwise, many of us feed a rotation diet so getting him something new isn’t a bad idea anyway.

#83467 Report Abuse
    David H

My two 3 year old Pit Bulls refused to eat the Rabbit version of Blue Buffalo, I mixed in a can of canned food per the suggestion of the salesman at Petco. The dogs at the food, then immediately vomited it up.
    I went back to the store and got a replacement bag of a different BB flavor, the one I normally purchase, and they ate it with no issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.