šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

stools are large and hard to expel, with some diarhea – very messy.
    their faces are stained;

#55596 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

YIKES!! If you just got the pupies from a breeder, put them on what the breeder had them on for at least 2 weeks. Then slowly change to a new food over the course of a week or 2. And shame on the breeder for letting the puppies go so young and not giving you better directions.

#55620 Report Abuse

I did not explain the whole story – sorry – the puppies are mine, and I started them on Orijen 3 weeks ago – ground it in my food processor, soaked it in 2 TBL water w/ added Goats milk esbilac and pablum. I’m still soaking it some. It’s been 3 weeks and it seems to be too rich. My last litter I started/fed Castor & Pollux and they did fine; but Orijen appeared to have the best ingredients of all. I want to use the very best for my puppies!

#55626 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If they were weaned on to it and are having issues digesting it, then it may not be the right food for them. I think with all the beans, peas, and lentils that are in there, it may be hard for some puppies to digest. I would try an easier to digest food. Please make sure they are stable on a new food before they go to their new homes. If you need suggestions, NutriSource is a good quality food that is easy to transition to. Their Medium and Small Breed formula has tiny pieces. Good luck with your pups.

#55677 Report Abuse

Thank you for your concern! I have ordered the NutriSource med to small Puppy –
    do you think starting it half and half will be safe? It appears a lot softer mix than the Orjen.
    The puppies are leaving in just over two weeks at ten weeks.

#55680 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hopefully, that will be plenty of time for their stomach to settle. I would probably transition 1/4 NutriSource at first and see if their stool starts firming up quickly. If it gets softer, stay at 1/4 for about 2 or 3 days before moving to 1/2. You don’t want to risk upsetting their stomach even more, because puppies get dehydrated so easily. If their stool stays the same, feed 1/4 for a full day or 2 before going to 1/2.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.