🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jessica A

Hi! I am a new member and have been researching dog foods for years now. I have been involved in animal rescue for 3 years and now have 7 dogs and 2 cats of my own. My dogs range in age from 4 months-12 years old. Most are large breed with 3 being medium size. I have had my dogs on everything over the years from Iam’s, Wellness Complete, Core, Blue, Blue Freedom, Basics, Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, Active Maturity, Large Breed, Advanced Fitness, Simply Nourish, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient, and a few more….I have a 4 month old lab, 2- 17 month old mixes (unsure of breed), 4 yr old border collie mix, 4 yr old golden, 5 yr old lab and a 12 yr old lab….so we need different ranges/types of foods. Biggest problem is allergies with our Border Collie and size/growth for our labs…any thoughts??

Thanks so much,
    Jessie

#76382 Report Abuse
    Jonathan S

I have two border collies… 9 months and 11 months. They’re very fickle about their protein sources… Both are intolerant of bison and venison, one can handle beef but the other cannot. Both are sensitive to changes in fats in their diet… too much fat causes them some nasty stools, but too little and they get dry and itchy.

I had them on Taste of the Wild for a long time, but they get really twitchy moving from one mix to another. I’m starting them on Acana Sport and Agility this week. I feed them half raw food as well.

Remember with borders that their metabolism tends to run hot due to their need to work and possibly work long past exhaustion. If you normally feed once a day you might want to consider twice a day for the BC.

#76385 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

2 Under 1 year old border collies…you must have a lot of energy! 🙂

#76386 Report Abuse
    Jonathan S

Ah, yes, that. Here’s how it went… My wife and I like big dogs, and she was interested in an Irish Wolfhound. I was iffy because of the lifespan. I said, instead of one large dog, we could get two medium dogs… makes sense. We looked around and fell in love with border collies. People warned us that they have a lot of energy… we were ready for that. People warned us that they need to work… we were ready for that too. People warned us that they’re really smart… we were prepared for that.

Had someone said that we were about to get the dog equivalent of a Ferrari, I might have thought twice about it. 🙂

I love ’em though… wouldn’t trade them for the world!

I see by your profile pic that you may be familiar with what I’m saying. Speaking of which, how do you upload a profile pic?

#76387 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

http://www.gravatar.com is the site you create a profile and upload on. It takes a bit to show up once you do it.

That’s Dani-she’s actually a sheltie, though in that picture she certainly has some BC qualities. I don’t think I can handle a BC, even being fairly active in dog sports, haha. I admire them though, and can easily see why you fell in love with them. Their fun dogs and I’m around them a lot.

#76433 Report Abuse
    Jessica A

Thank you for your response! Currently all of our dogs eat 2x a day. We have thought about feeding her just once a day because she doesn’t show any interest in the mornings. She has gone 2 or 3 days without eating before. With having 7 dogs, currently we have 5 different types of food. I put all five foods out in five bowls to see what she would choose. She did choose her new food which is Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato. However, after 4 or 5 days of eating that she stopped eating again, so I did the 5 choices again. She then chose her old food which was the Science Diet Advanced Fitness…..she drives me CRAZY!! lol! My male mixed breed who is very similar to her was the same way, but now loves the NB LID Duck. All of our others labs…eat anything lol. My husband leaves it up to me, because I am the one who does all of our animal food, meds, vet, etc…..To be honest I think I could put 50 foods in front of her and she will only eat if she is hungry then wait a few days no matter what I feed her….unless, I just haven’t found the right food for her?? Thoughts?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.