🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mini Me

Can anyone tell me which of the 5 star foods is the least expensive? How much luck have you guys had with them?

#35163 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’ve not done too much research as to most and least affordable, but if you’re not opposed to foods made by Diamond, I believe a couple of their varieties (DN small breed puppy and Extreme Athlete) are 5 star, and usually it’s about $1.50/lb. There are quite a few others that are relatively affordable, but you’ll probably be looking around at least 2-3$/lb. Some TotW and Victor foods are 5-star as well.

I’ve not tried a vast variety of foods myself, as I don’t have access to a whole lot, so I can’t tell you what /the/ best balance of price/quality will be.

Hope you find something that works for your dogs and your wallet!

#35166 Report Abuse
    Naturella

My local Petland sells the Earthborn Holistic (Grain free is 4.5 stars, I think) for the least amount of money ($25-$28) for 15-lb bags. Also, Victor (the grain inclusive ones) are mostly for UNDER a dollar/pound, and the grain free (5-star ones) are for a little over a dollar/pound. Petland’s Holistic Health Extension (4-stars except for the grain free, which is 4.5 stars) run for $12-$14 for 4-lb bags.

Online, just watch for sales on websites that sell dog food, such as petflow.com and chewy.com , or pet store websites. If there are pet boutiques around you, they usually put bags that expire soon on mad sales, so you can get a 5-star food, 5lbs for like $8 or 40lbs for $35!!! So just browse around, and good luck!

#35184 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

My dogs are doing great on Victor Grain free right now. It is one of the cheaper 5 star foods that have worked for me. I can’t get it as cheap in my area as others as it is not very available. But, still less than a lot of other quality foods. There is also Earthborn, Nutrisource, Taste of the Wild (Diamond), and Dr. Tim’s. good luck!

#35210 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I am interested in this as well. I’m hoping to adopt a shelter dog soon. They are coming for a home visit next weekend so Fingers crossed for us! So with 2 dogs, I may have to feed partially kibble. I like Annamaet Grain free for the price. But then I’ll have to pay shipping for a small bag. Small dogs. Wellness Complete Health has one 5 star and a few 4 1/2 star foods. They are listed under 4 star. Petco has a $5.00 coupon this week and you can get a Manuf. coupon on their website I believe.

#35371 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

IME, prices vary store to store. I have two stores within five minutes of my house. There is one food they both sell & there’s a $7.00 difference between stores. You may find foods cheaper ordering online like a lot of us do.

#40219 Report Abuse
    Suburban Gal

I’m NOT against 4, 4½ and 5 star foods, but I’m going to have to agree here with the OP. Many of these foods are very expensive. Then again, they’re expensive because they’re really good foods.

That said, I agree with Naturella. I’d look into Earthborn Holistic. I’m in the process of switching Gizmo, my 7-year-old papillon, from Blue Buffalo to Earthborn Holistic and I just paid less than $40 for a 28 LB bag of food at Pet Supplies Plus. It’s normally $34.98, but I ended up paying $32.98 with my PSP Preferred Pet Club card. Their canned/moist food runs a little over $2 a can/tub.

NutriSource and Taste of the Wild, which crazy4cats recommended, are also worth looking into.

You may also want to look into Chicken Soup, Holistic Select, ByNature, and Blue Buffalo’s wilderness line.

#40220 Report Abuse
    Suburban Gal

Out of all the foods I recommended, I’ve had the best luck with Blue Buffalo’s wilderness line, Holistic Select, and ByNature.

Blue Buffalo is probably the most readily available. Heck, PetSmart has a whole isle devoted to Blue Buffalo.

#40335 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

It also depends on how you feel about Diamond products due to many recalls (includes Diamond, Kirkland, Chicken Soup, taste of the wild, and others)…. That being said, Kirkland Signature (sold at Costco) has palats of 5 star canned for about $18. Seems like after doing the math, that’s only about .70$ per can. A steal, really. Sorry, I can’t remember if the cans are 13oz or 6oz, but I thiiiiiink they’re 13.

Since I’m on such a tight budget, I don’t mind taking the “risk”, as my dogs have been on Diamond a while now and have done just fine.

#40345 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

The Kirkland Cuts in Gravy is manufactured by Simmons, not Diamond. It is a great bargain! Diamond does not have a cannery. And yes, it is 13 oz. it is a regular in my canned rotation for my dogs. It makes a great topper as it is very easy to mix.

#40371 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Oops, sorry for being misinformed on that. Thanks, C4C! 🙂

#40375 Report Abuse
    Suburban Gal

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Kirkland. Then again, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Costco.

#40401 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I love Kirkland food, but some dogs get all gross on it (diarrhea, hair loss, itching) even though other foods with similar ingredients are fine. I’m considering trying Hyperion GF variety just for the heck of seeing if my lab does any better and has a possible allergy to rice. She’s doing fine on the grain-in stuff, but has been having some dandruff. Luckily no itching.

Anyway, back to the rave: I love Costco. Wish there was one closer (have to drive 2hrs)…. Coconut oil is a fave supplement, but I wouldn’t feed it as it was SO spendy (a little tiny jar is about 20$). Found it at Coscto! A jar about 5-6x the size was only 24$. Boo-yah!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.