šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Richard K

Hi everyone. I always feed my dogs the best rated 5 star dog food but i have yet to find one that my dogs will eat without me having to add something else to it like 5 star wet food. My dogs are pretty picky i guess but I have yet to find a 5 star rated dry dog food that my dogs really like. Does anyone know of a 5 star rated dry dog food that dogs really love? Or is that not possible? Any help would be appreciated. I usually just add wet dog food to the dry and i have to make sure the food is actually wet from the wet food or i have to add a little water because my dogs will just eat the wet food off of the dry food and then spit the dry food out. So if anyone knows of a 5 star dog food that dogs really really like please let me know? Or something I can add to it which is also good for them that will make them eat it lol? Sometimes I add tuna to their food but not more than a little bit and only about once a week because of the mercury content in tuna.
    Anyway thanks for the help ahead of time.

#95610 Report Abuse
    Christine W

My older Pug puts her nose up to everything! any dry food.I finally got her to eat Wellness Core,reduced fat & Wellness Core original.They are a bigger kibble,but at least she eats it.

#95622 Report Abuse
    elaine c

Hi, All kibble even 5 star is limited as to really good nutrition because it is PROCESSED. I feed Answers Pet Food ( look it up on the advisor and you will see there are NO red words).
    It is raw, easy to feed and amazing. My dogs love it so much they carry their bowls around with them after they eat!!

#95626 Report Abuse
    Z B

My dogs haven’t refused any kibble. But I do add toppers to make it healthier:
    Canned sardines (water packed, with no added salt) once a week
    Chicken hearts once a week

And then a mix of the following that i use as a daily topper:
    Scrambled eggs
    Boiled chicken, pork, or turkey and the water that it was cooked in
    Baked Sweet potato purƩed with greens ( spinach, parsley or kale)

I make a batches of this mix once or twice a month to freeze, then defrost as needed. It’s a lot cheaper to do this than using 5 star canned.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Z B.
    #96142 Report Abuse
    Richard K

Hi Elaine. I was wondering how much that answers dog food costs you per month to feed your dogs? I am on limited income. I have 2 small dogs both about 15 lbs. I spend approximately 60 bucks a month to feed my two dogs dry food with wet mixed in.

#97017 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Richard, I have a suggestion you can try before you buy. They’re a 4 star food, but don’t let that stop you. They’ve been in the dog food business for almost 30 years and they’ve NEVER had a recall. They stay on top of nutritional needs AND consumer demands and still deliver a really fantastic product. Do a google search for VeRUS Pet Foods. Fill out the contact form then monitor your email for a response from an ACTUAL person – who will likely be the company’s VP. They will ask you a few questions about your dogs then send you FREE SAMPLES. The beauty of this is that you get to try it out at no cost to you. Then when your dogs love it, you can go to Pet Flow.com, order it, and have it autoshipped. It runs about $35 per 15 lb bag on average, however, the bag always seems like it holds a lot more than 15 lbs. The food isn’t stinky and your dogs will have good poops on it, too – not too frequent, not runny or too hard.

#97018 Report Abuse
    Susan W

P.S. I don’t know why this food is just a 4 star. Seems like with all the great nutrition and the no recalls, they’d get a new review & up the rating.
    Also, in case you’re wondering, NO, I don’t work for or have any investment in VeRUS. I just LOVE that they send free samples instead of coupons.

#97134 Report Abuse
    Richard K

Hi Susan. I have 2 dogs both seniors and both about 15lbs. I cant afford more than about 75 dollars a month for their food. Can i feed them both for around that price with versus?

#97149 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Oh, absolutely. On PetFlow (which is where I order mine) the price ranges for a 15 lb bag is from 30 – 43 dollars, depending on the formula. I feed my little mutt – 17 lb dog – a little more than a cup per day & my big dog a little more than 4 cups per day & a 15 lb bag held us for about 3 – 4 weeks.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Susan W.
    #97943 Report Abuse
    Beverly G

Susan, thanks for the recommendation of VeRus foods…I just messaged them for a sample or two for my Labradors. I have a 2 yr old and a 10 yr old. We were very happy on the Canada formulas of Orijen and Acana…they aren’t doing as well on the USA formulas. The 6 fish made my older dog sick, sick, sick!! The puppy seems to tolerate it a little better. I’m just ready to find a better food and company all together!

#98028 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Excellent! Beverly, please let me know how you (and your dogs) like it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.