🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Heather L

My 15 1/2 year old min poodle stopped eating about a week and a half ago. After examining his mouth we discovered about 3/4 of a inch of his tounge was grey. There was a distinct line from healthy tissue to dying tissue. I started him immediately on antibiotics and then brought him to the vet the following day. The vet confirmed the necrosis and gave me more antibiotics and pain meds. i wa told the dead tisue would fall off and hopefully he will adapt to not having the tip of his tounge. For the past week i have been feeding and giving him water by syringe. The tip of the tounge did fall off after 4 days of antibiotics. So now we are going on day 7 of meds and just yesterday we were able to get him to eat some boiled chicken on his own. I am still having to give him water by syringe since he hasnt figured out the water thing yet. My question is what is the best food to try him on that will be the most nutritious and hopefully entise him to eat on his own.
    Thank you for any suggestions
    Heather

#64411 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Heather that sounds awful, poor thing, boil some pumkin & sweet potatoes then I freeze little sections of pumkin & sweet pototes…. I use to put the boiled chicken breast, boiled pumkin (1 spoon) & a boiled egg into the blender & blend & have enough for 2 meals, also sardines in spring water, dogs seem to like the smell of sardines…..
    I have CREST & when I have my bad ulcers on my tongue the Dr said get some Glycerine with a cotton bud & put on tongue, my mum is going thru chemo & her Dr also said to use Glycerine, I don’t know what it does but it helps & taste sweet..

#64412 Report Abuse
    Dori

Oh my goodness! This is so sad. I’ve never heard of anything like this before. Did your vet have any discussion with you as to how this may have occurred? You didn’t mention what he was eating before. Dry, canned, raw, dehydrated, freeze dried? Did he get blood work done to make sure everything else is ok? Heather I am just so sorry this has happened to your dog. 🙁

I just googled Necrois of the tongue and the sites state that a biopsy is crucial. Did your vet to a scraping or anything for a biopsy? It sounds like some form of vasculitis but it could be some other things also.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #64414 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You might consider offering him some Stage II baby food. It’ll provide some nutrients (although not complete and balanced) and help to stimulate his appetite in an easily digestible form that he’s able to eat while he’s in discomfort. Look for meats in broth and be sure there’s no onion added.

As he continues to recover, maybe some watered down canned food might appeal to him.

#64415 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I am so sorry you had to go through this! Wet food will probably be easier to eat then dry food, so you could look around at some 4 and 5 star wet options and chose one to start with. I agree with DogFoodie about the baby food, just make sure that it does not contain onion or large amounts of garlic.

#64417 Report Abuse
    Heather L

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Prior to this ordeal he was eating dry food with a bit of warm water. Unfortunatly at his last teeth cleaning 2 yrs ago he had to have a bunch of extrations that ended him with 5 teeth left. He totally adapted well to that and has had no isues with eating pretty much anything. This past week i have been giving him a special food from the vet that is high in nutrients via syringe and stage 2 baby food (no onion or garlic). I am finding that now that he is attempting to eat the chicken, it is best if its cut in longer strips. He seems to be able to get it in his mouth easier. I thought little boiled meat balls would be good but they seem to just roll out. I am also still doing food by the syringe due to me not feeling hes getting enough with just chicken. I know its going to take time for him to adapt. As of right now my husband and i are just excited he has come this far with all of this. Hes one strong PUP!! To answer your question Dori were thinking he may have had a seisure that cut off the blood supply due to his jaw clamping down on that area. The line that was on his tongue from good tissue to bad was identical to his upper jaw gum line. He has had seisures in the past but never enough for the vet to put him on meds. They are far and few between. He may have had one when we were not home and we didnt even relize. We do have two other dogs another mini poodle and bichon frise so to say if a Pee accident occured which is a sign of a seisure we wouldnt have known it came from our oldest. 🙁
    Thank you all again for your help and comments

#64418 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

It sounds like you are doing the right thing and he is on the road to recovery! Just out of curiosity, what kibble were you feeding him before? Were you still feeding kibble after the tooth extraction? (I think you said this, I’m just trying to be sure.)

#64420 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

What about a dehydrated food that you reconstitute with hot water like The Honest Kitchen. It has texture to it that he would probably appreciate and you could make it as thick or as soupy as you need. FreshPet would be like the size and shape of kibble, but softer like real food.

Poor little guy.

#64423 Report Abuse
    Heather L

Dog Obseed, i was feeding him dry kibble ( Fromm family) before and after his tooth extrations. its been 2 yrs since that and hes done great with it.
    thanks Dog Foodie i will try that Honest Kitchen. i am headed to the pet store tomorrow to get some new food. i bought the Fresh pet (both log and soft chunks) he just puts his nose up.. UGG.. LOL.. thank goodness i have two other hungery little buggers becaue none of my food attemts are going in the garbage. at the end of all of this im going to have 3 picky eaters. lol lol…

#64427 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

THK is a great food, so that is worth a shot. That’s funny, about the Freshpet. Oh, dogs. Good luck!

#64433 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I’ll be curious to see how he’s doing on the foods you try. I hope you’ll come back and give us an update on his diet and his condition.

Good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.