šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gary L

Hello

I just got my puppy Chihuahua from my breeder he’s 11 weeks old.
    So far he will eat some Royal Canine Starter Mousse that the breeder has been giving to him and he also seems to like boiled Chicken. When I give him dry kibbles of Royal Canine or Fromm he wouldn’t touch them at all.

He doesn’t seem to be very attracted by food, he only eats it when he “has” to. Should I be worried? I ordered some Wellness CORE puppy as I really wanna move him away from Royal Canine. How long do you think I should keep him on Canned and when should I start moving him to kibbles?

He weights 1lb now and is estimated to be 3lbs once adult.

THANKS A LOT!

#77048 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Gary- I would be cautious about changing your pups food so much at 11 weeks and when you also just got him home. It’s important to let him establish a level of comfort in his new home before you go ahead and make a food change. These behaviors could be his nerves from being in a different environment.

Keep him on whatever the breeder had him on at least for a few weeks and get him on a schedule of eating. Keep him on a schedule for going potty too. When you do decide to change foods switch him overly slowly so as not to upset his stomach and look for foods that have a similar GA as the Royal Canin.

I know you’re not happy about feeding RC, however for his sake I think it’s best for a little while longer.

#77049 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I usually don’t attempt to transition until I’ve had them home for 3-4 weeks actually. Keep him on the RC canned-I can’t imagine he eats much anyway. Then start to transition. If you can do it, I’d just keep him on canned forever and don’t bother with kibble. That size of a dog certainly won’t go through much

It couldn’t hurt to go to the vet either.

#77050 Report Abuse
    FoxEyeX

Frozen or Freeze Dried Raw Food brands like Stella and Chews or Primal. Mix with pumpkin or preferably dehydrate pumpkin add water. Start slow and work your way up to a full meal.

#77055 Report Abuse
    Gary L

Thanks for the replies!
    I’ll try to keep him on the RC canned food for now, he also love the THK Beams and Wishes so I might look into THK food when he’s ready for kibbles.

My order of Wellness CORE puppy canned food arrived already so we’ll hold on for another week before letting him try it, hopefully he’ll like it and we’ll transition him into that.

#77081 Report Abuse
    FoxEyeX

My humble opinion…. THK is gonna be better for your pup then kibble. Good luck Buddy.

#77256 Report Abuse
    Gary L

Hey everyone

My puppy now doesn’t want to eat anything else then cooked chicken and egg.
    I tried giving him RC Mousse that he started off with, Wellness Core puppy canned, Wellness Core puppy air dried, THK Embark. He wouldn’t eat any of those but once I laydown a plate of chicken he’ll eat them all.

Any ideas what should I do in that case? Should I feed him raw instead?
    I worried most about him not having all the nutrition he needs to grow up.

Please help!

#77455 Report Abuse
    Gary L

UPDATE!

I got him a bag of Ziwipeak Beef this morning and mixed it with Hills A/D canned food that he has been having for the past few days and he really likes it!!!

Im going to transition him to that slowly and hopefully he’ll stay on it!
    So far its the only food that can make him run toward his food bowl!!!

#77460 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Wonderful news. Glad he found something he likes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.