šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Altoid
    Participant

I found a local butcher that has a variety of bones and other animal parts including, pig ears, aitch, bully sticks, pig toes, pig noses etc. They are all smoked except for the raw ones. So are the smoked bones relatively safe for my dog? Can I give them freely or use in moderation?

Also any information on providing and when to discard raw bones would be helpful. I did get one and gave it to her, but by the next day it was looking pretty discolored so I threw it out.

Thank you!

#12658 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Altoid –

Cooked bones shouldn’t be fed as they are likely to splinter – they are more likely to cause intestinal perforations or blockages. Bones should always be fed raw. If your dog is a light chewer heavy bones such as marrow bones and knuckle bones would probably be safe, if, however, your dog is a strong chewer I’d stick with bones that are entirely consumable called “raw meaty bones” (chicken backs, chicken necks, turkey necks, etc.). Strong chewers can break and/or wear down their teeth over time if given dense bones such as marrow bones and knuckle bones. Don’t leave the bone out for more than an hour or so, whatever your dog doesn’t eat can be stored in the fridge – use within three days.

#12670 Report Abuse
    Altoid
    Participant

Thank you for the information. So if I’m understanding correctly the smoked bones considered cooked right?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.