šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kate

I’m at my wits end trying to combat dermatitis in a foster English setter. She is greatly improved since Oct. when she came to me, but still itchy. Medicated shampoos, antibiotics, antifungals, and 2 steroid shots helped but still has skin issues. She is on Natural Balance LID fish and potato (grain free). Should I be avoiding potato? Would peas be better? I’ve read that sugars AND starches can feed yeast. Also, someone suggested adding apple cider vinegar and coconut oil to her food. Has anyone had success using natural remedies? And what bagged foods would you suggest? I’ve always fed grain free, chicken free. I’d hoped that Van Pattens would do the trick, but it hasn’t so far.

#32385 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

All of their formulas are pretty high in carbs, which is not ideal for yeast. You should look into Nature’s Variety Instinct’s LID formulas. Antibiotics make yeast worse too.

For my dog, I used 1/2 Brother’s Complete Turkey and 1/2 raw. I added ACV, coconut oil, spirulina, probiotics, and digestive enzymes.

#32389 Report Abuse
    BlackandBlue

IMHO, Natural Balance LID foods are good for finding what your dog is reacting to, but then move on to a higher star food. First determine which your dog shouldn’t eat: the fish or the sweet potato. If you switch to NB LID venison and sweet potato and the dog gets better then it was the fish she can’t have. If she doesn’t get better, then it’s the sweet potato. Switch around with the meat and carb types, and take notes on your dog’s reactions to each food.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.