🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff S

So I have a 14 week old Australian Labradoodle puppy who I was possibly transitioning to raw or at least mostly raw—want to keep some kibble to make it easier for travel and friends watching her. Anyway started transitioning her to Raw about a week ago. Have been using a sample pack from Darwin’s as well as some Primal Raw frozen–both chicken. She seems to be doing generally ok, although it seems that for about 1/2-1 hour after she eats, she gets very hyper–sometimes running in big circles with her tail between her legs and/or being very restless. Spoke with Darwins’ but they said they haven’t heard of this. has anyone experienced this? So far I have been only giving her commercial raw, except for yesterday when I gave her a piece of raw turkey wing (which she enjoyed and chewed up pretty well). Yesterday about 3 hours after eating the turkey wing she did regurgitate with much of the turkey looking undigested (she re-ate it). She then seemed fine. After playing for a bit and taking a nap she seemed very hungry so gave her a handful of kibble (Acana). About another 2-3 hours after, she threw up agin–mostly partially digested kibble. She was good the rest of the night (slept through until morning). Fed her kibble this morning and she was good most of the day. Fed her some more raw (Darwins chicken at lunch) got a bit hyper again but was good most of the rest of the day until after dinner–which was some more Darwins and a bit of Allprovide. Again shortly after eating she got very hyper, racing around the yard picking up sticks, etc.

So, is this normal? Am I transitioning her too quickly? is the hyper ness possibly an upset stomach (she sometimes seems to run and sit quickly–once and a while dragging her butt a bit (has been dewormed plus saw a tapeworm before i stated the raw and she was dewormed for that as well).

Also, since we’ve had her she has been a bit itchy/biting around the base of her tail and back legs, although the vet could not find any fleas and didn’t think it should be any more worms. Since starting the raw nothing has really changed with the itching (I realize it is kind of soon to expect any change in that–just bringing it up in case it’s a sign of something else).

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts. Not while I’m writing this, she has been panting a bit heavily and looked like she was going to vomit again although nothing happened.

Thanks

Jeff

#104936 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Panting could indicate pain/anxiety. I would get to the vet for an x-ray asap. Bowel obstructions can occur with bone, even finely ground up bone.

Per the search engine. /forums/topic/dog-not-digesting-bones-properly/

#104938 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Example
    /forums/topic/rectal-issues/

#104943 Report Abuse
    Jeff S

She has been pooping just fine. Stool isn’t white at all. Looks pretty normal. Can they poop and still have an obstruction?

#104944 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yes, they can have a partial obstruction or gastrointestinal distress. The blockage could be higher up in the stomach. That might explain the vomiting.

#104946 Report Abuse
    Jeff S

She is still quite playful and besides the panting and restlessness seems generally ok. I’m due to take her in tomorrow or Monday to the Vet for her next distemper so I can have her checked.

Would canned pumpkin help at all? Gave her some last night and it seemed to help

#104948 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Glad you are taking her to the vet. At the least she is having GI distress.
    I have never used pumpkin. If something looks gross to me I don’t serve it to myself or pets.

#115200 Report Abuse
    Sloane K

Hey Jeff, how did everything turn out with your pup?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.