Which is a better choice?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Which is a better choice?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leslie R

I’ve been feeding Honest Kitchen Embark to my 4 Jack Russells for awhile. I try to switch up the variety but the other 2 5 star varieties are just too expensive. I use Annamaet grain free kibble when we’re away from home. It’s also 5 stars. Do you think the kibble is as nutritious as the dehydrated food? It would be easier to feed & less expensive. Or am I splitting hairs? Thanks for any input.

#59370 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Leslie-
    I don’t think that in general kibble is just as nutritious as most dehydrated foods. Annament is a very good one though. That being said, I know that Honest Kitchen is very expensive. I feed my dogs a base kibble and add something to it every meal. They get a few tablespoons of canned with it in the morning. In the afternoon, I rotate between eggs, beef heart, dehydrated, frozen raw patties, and sardines in their kibble. I also feed the See Spot Live Longer dinner mix with lightly cooked burger once a week. So, I guess what I am saying is if you go ahead with the kibble, you can always bump up the nutrition with toppers! From what I’m learning, variety is very healthy for our dogs.

#59374 Report Abuse
    Leslie R

Thanks! That’s the kind of stuff I was looking for. Great ideas…my pups thank you 🙂

#59385 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I agree with C4C. There are definitely things you can add to a diet of kibble, not the least of which are fresh, whole food ingredients! This is a great download from Steve Brown (it costs $2.95 and is worth every penny). It’ll give you some great ways to bump up a diet of kibble with whole foods and keep your pups nutritional balance on track. http://www.seespotlivelonger.com/home/sll/page_41/see_spot_live_longer_the_abc_way___electronic_down.html

If you’re a Costco member, check out Nature’s Domain Turkey and Pea Stew canned food there. For about a dollar a can, you can top kibble with a five start canned food.

#59397 Report Abuse
    Leslie R

Thank you DF! I’ll download right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.