🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Krystal H

OK, so there are a lot of options for every dog out there, and I have 3 with very different needs! I’m hoping I can get some suggestions for food brands for all 3 of them that I can hopefully find from the same (reliable) source. I am on a budget, but I do want quality. No known allergies/sensitivities with any of them.

Roxie:
    Medium size
    Mature/Senior
    Overweight

Kovu:
    Medium size
    Young Adult
    Active

Dessa:
    Extra Large size
    Puppy

#79229 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Are you looking to be able to feed one food for all three? That could be tricky with a giant breed puppy because of their strict dietary needs and with one older dog being active and one being overweight, they will both need different levels of protein and fat.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Pitlove.
    #79231 Report Abuse
    Krystal H

No no, not at all! Having them on different foods is not a problem, I’d just like to be able to get them all from one source, not having to go to 2 different stores and order one online, etc… I have trouble with my local stores keeping anything in stock besides the big brand name junk foods.

#79232 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

There is a few options here. If you go to the canine nutrition thread, there is a sticky for foods appropriate for large and giant breed puppies. Read the first few pages of information for the pup, and then page 36ish or so has the most recent one. Any food on that list is formulated for growth-also known as puppy food or all life stages food. You can keep all the dogs on this. Feed the overweight/not so active dog for the desired weight, and the other two appropriately.

Alternatively you could feed a weight management food for the one, and the other two on the same one.

#79245 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Krystal- Alright, that makes things a bit easier. Are you unwilling to shop online? Chewy.com does autoshipping and they usually have good pricing on a lot of popular and excellent foods. What are you able to pay monthly for food?

#79259 Report Abuse
    Krystal H

I actually prefer to shop online as long as shipping doesn’t make the price ridiculous! I have checked out Chewy and I love the idea of autoship! I can’t always get out to the stores, and my local stores sell out of quality foods really fast, so online is really my best option. I’ll check out that thread when I get the chance, but I am assuming it’s just a lot of options like the editors choice lists, which leaves me scrambling to check the quality, cost, and availability of each one and weigh the options for each dog and I start losing track of where I started and getting all mixed up! LOL I need a chart for this! LOL
    I would like to get Roxie and Kovu on the same food if possible, but I know with her being mature and chubby and him being young and active, that might not be the best idea. I know Dessa needs to be on her own since she’s a puppy and a XL breed mix. I’m leaning towards the Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy Food, but that’s just based on what I’ve been able to find that’s of acceptable quality and I can find easliy from sellers I trust. I’m more than open to other brands though as I really have never used any Fromm products before.
    I don’t have a set budget for pet food, I’ll work a bit extra if I need to, but I definitely can’t afford to feed Orijen and the like. I’ve been feeding Kirkland lately because it’s the only acceptable food that I can find reliably locally besides junk. I used to feed Taste of the Wild when Kovu was a pup, but it’s so hard to find locally I couldn’t keep up with hunting it down.

#79262 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Krystal H-
    Wow! You have your hands full. I know what you mean by needing a chart. I have a note book that I keep information in for different foods and supplements for my crew. I just wanted to let you know that I have a repeat delivery set up with Chewy and it works out really well. They are extremely flexible with being able to switch up your order as far as frequency and items in your list. You can delete items, add items, delay or move up the delivery as much as you want. They give you a heads up email about a week before your order is to be delivered to allow you to make any changes. I have tried other company’s programs who said they were flexible and definitely were not.

I currently am rotating between Victor (unfortunately not available on chewy) and Whole Earth Farms kibble for my dogs. I feed them the same food but different amounts. They are litter mates, but have two totally different metabolisms. I feed the hyper one first since he gets more food and then take my time to put the bowl down for the chubbier less active dog. If allowed, he will eat his real fast and then rush over to help his brother finish his meal. But, they do eat the same food, just in different amounts. What breed is your XL puppy?

#79264 Report Abuse
    Krystal H

LOL You have no idea! (I also have 2 kids, 2 cats, a turtle, 4 ball pythons, a crested gecko, an axolotl, a bunch of fish tanks, and a husband, oh, and my elderly handicapped parents who live in the lower duplex here with me that I help care for, who might be getting another dog soon for my father’s advanced Parkinson’s disease. LOL Never a dull moment in this house!)

My 2 younger ones are still fed in their crates, so I don’t have any issues with feeding time unless one of my kids tries to feed Roxie before they get the other 2 put up, because the puppy will eat anything and everything! LOL She’s a Saint Bernard, English Mastiff, and Presa Canario mix. Dad was saint, mom was pressa/mastiff. My brother has her sister too. LOL My vet says I’m a glutton for punishment. LOL

#79265 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Dear Krystal H-
    The husband has got to go!!! LOL!! Seriously, you do have a handful. You’ll get it figured out. Your puppy sounds awesome and adorable. Things will get a little easier once she gets out of the puppy stage. (fingers crossed) I have two golden labs, four cats, two college age kids and a husband. Not quite as hectic as your house, but VERY EXPENSIVE! And, yes, you are a glutton for punishment. Welcome to the club!! There are several of us on this site!!! 🙂

#79266 Report Abuse
    Krystal H

LOL Thank you! Dessa just started AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy classes and she’s got this down already LOL She’s an incredible puppy! I’m not used to such a mellow breed! LOL She’s great! 🙂 Kovu helps wear her out for me, LOL!

#79279 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

“She’s a Saint Bernard, English Mastiff, and Presa Canario ” Wow, sounds like a beautiful combo. I love Presa’s and Cane Corso’s in particular for the Mastiff breeds. Its great that you are doing puppy classes since these are some pretty powerful dogs mixed all in one. Excellent family dogs, but need a strong leader.

Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy is a excellent choice for your XL pup. It is always the first food I recommend as I feed Fromm and love the food and the company.

For your other 2- I think an all life stages food within your budget that is good quality could do the trick. Feed the overweight one for her activity level and target weight (not current weight) and feed the active one for how active she is and make sure she is consuming enough calories to make up for what she burns so she is not loosing weight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.