šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Rachel M

Do those unhelpful results have anything listed in the ingredients window?

#63512 Report Abuse
    Dori

Rachel. The ones that show up as a food with the ingredients in the title that I am trying to avoid do not have anything at all in the ingredients column. I love the idea of this calculator of yours and I cannot even imagine how much time you have taken to do this so it is very much appreciated by all, I just wish I could figure out if it’s me that is doing something wrong or if I’m just not reading it correctly.

#63515 Report Abuse
    Rachel M

The issue right now is that I haven’t finished putting in the ingredients for the last few foods on the list, so anything that comes up with an empty ingredients box is a food with no entry yet. That should be fixed as soon as I finish entering the ingredients for Wild Calling, Wysong, and Zignature. I also need to remove the foods that have been discontinued over the months I have been working on this project. Hopefully we’ll get those last few entries done and update the data soon.

#63516 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks Rachel. I’ll keep an eye out for updates. One of my dogs has so many food issues that my checking so many ingredients may be screwing something up.

#64061 Report Abuse
    Rachel M

More updates and everything should be working correctly now. I’ve just started adding some canned, dehydrated, and freeze-dried foods to the database as well.

#64075 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yay! I realized this topic came before I learned about the “subscribe” feature, so I missed the last two posts. I’m thrilled you’ve improved it though, it’s been super useful to me!

#64169 Report Abuse
    Jill T

Hi, I have a Bischon and I believe she is allergic to poulty, she scratched quite a bit and she has dried brown tears below her eyes. The vet wants to charge me over $300 for allergy testing, which I don’t have. Do you suggest any brand of dry dog food that will help alleviate her symptoms? Thank you!

#64171 Report Abuse
    Rachel M

I would start by trying a limited ingredient diet, I’m fond of Acana singles pork and apple. I also like Orijen Six Fish as a place to start for digs with allergies. Allergy testing is expensive, I’ve found that an elimination diet was a less expensive and more accurate way to determine what my dog could eat.

Check out DogFoodWizard.com for my food selector tool, you can tell it to exclude foods that contain poultry and any other suspected allergens for your girl and it should give you a whole list of foods she can eat.

#64185 Report Abuse

Rachel,
    You are “THE WIZARD” for creating this tool. Just great
    Thank you

#64570 Report Abuse
    Rachel M

After hearing from several people looking for foods with specific protein and fat content, I’ve begun adding those to the database as well. We’re also planning to make the results sortable by caloric content or rating soon.

#69985 Report Abuse
    cms60
    Participant

I used Dog Food Advisor years ago when my sweet Betty was first diagnosed with allergies. Wish your site was active then! I’m going to have to try something new now, so I’m glad to have it! The only allergy Betty has that isn’t listed is peanuts, but they don’t seem to be in any of the foods she can have otherwise since you kindly listed the ingredients.

Here is my problem: She is now a little older and the vet says she has an alarmingly high Calcium Oxalate concentration in her urine. They recommend the prescription dog foods, but the only ones she can have with her allergies are the wet ones, and I’m not a fan of the all wet diet. My dogs have always had great teeth, and I can’t discount the fact that I make them crunch some of their food. I add anything wet immediately before they eat.

Her allergies are: alfalfa, barley, carrots, peas, rice, soy, sunflower, and peanuts. My personal research indicates she could benefit from a diet higher in protein, sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and moisture and contents with decreased urine acidifying potential. The dry food has a greater potential for problem than wet (no moisture). In contrast, there is some evidence that diets higher in fats and lower in protein and potassium are likely to increase urine acidity and cause the Ca Oxalate to precipitate out.

Do you have any suggestions about this since you seem to have thoroughly studied the ingredients? I have been feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formulation for years. Currently, I am adding a lot of water to it to increase water intake.

Thanks!
    Carolyn S.

#69987 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

/forums/topic/calcium-oxalate-crystals-help/

/forums/topic/struvite-crystals/

Two threads you may find helpful.

#84605 Report Abuse
    Dog Pack Mom

Hi Rachel,
    Thank you for all your hard work and this tool. Looks very promising for making narrowing down choices much easier.

#85421 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

Oh! I LOVE THIS. Thank you thank you thank you! For putting this together! You ROCK!

#87586 Report Abuse
    James F

All the information will be helpful.

#91178 Report Abuse
    Jennifer C

Is there a way to add products to this? I use Pioneer Naturals right now that fit my search criteria but it doesn’t come up so thinking it has not been added.

#91182 Report Abuse
    Rachel M

The tool is currently out of date and needs to have many foods added, unfortunately I lost my programmer and need to either find someone else to help me update or learn the skills to do it myself.

#94278 Report Abuse
    bonnie d

I tried it and it worked great – going to try the Acana Grasslands Regional. I tried the Orijen Regional Red and my lab’s ears turned bright red and he started chewing his feet again. I figured it was the beek since I read that beef can cause an allergic reaction in labs (Morgan, 2005). She advises beef, wheat, and corn which I deselected from your great list (I was already aware of the wheat and corn).

#100283 Report Abuse
    Donna B

Thank you for trying to help us….

I NEED HELP! My sweet boy was identified with allergies a few years ago. We found a food and he was doing well. Now he is breaking out and has to be on Appoquel. He has been on it for several months. Wanting to get him off it, I did a fur and saliva test for sensitivities. Between the two lists, I cannot find food. I even tried to make food and it was a no-go. Perhaps someone here knows of a food. Here is his list:

ALLERGIES: Pork
    Soy
    Oats
    Sweet Potatoes
    Peas
    Yeast
    Peanut
    Kelp
    Sensitivities:
    Grains inc; rices(wht & br), corn, barley, quinoa,rye, wheat, millet,
    buckwheat, spelt
    Potato
    Kangaroo
    Lamb
    Fish Oil, Fish Meal, Salmon and Trout
    Green Beans
    Dairy except Goat and Sheep milk
    Apricots
    Cucumber
    Turnip
    Honey
    Mint
    and a few other spices

Your help and suggestions are welcome!!!!!

#100287 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Apoquel is prescribed for environmental allergies, not food allergies (rare) or food sensitivities that tend to fluctuate.
    Hair and saliva mail in tests are a scam.
    I would suggest that you take your dog to a veterinary dermatologist for testing and an accurate diagnosis and treatment options.
    Environmental allergies are complicated, there is no cure but there is effective treatment.
    Hope this helps http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=Allergies
    and check the search engine here for allergies and see my posts,
    example. /forums/topic/environmental-allergy-relief/
    /forums/search/Dr+Dodds+nutriscan/

#100338 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Donna,
    I bet if you did the Salvia & Hair test again you’ll get different results, the only way to test for food intolerances/sensitivities is to do a food elimination diet, you start with 1 novel protein & 1 carbohydrate, or use the Vet diets like the Royal Canine, Hypoallergenic wet tin food, R/C HP just has a Hydrolyzed liver protein & pea fiber as the carbohydrate & is high in Omega 3 fatty acids what is needed for dogs with skin problems, then once your dog is doing well you start adding 1 new ingredient for 6 weeks, remove new ingredient if your dog has any side effects, then start again with another new ingredient, it can take from 1 day up to 6 weeks for a dog to react to an ingredient & show symptoms…
    *For Skin Allergies the best test to do is the Intradermal Skin Test where they shave the fur on one side of your dogs body & then inject the allergen under his/her skin & see if he reacts, then once you know what in the environment irritates your dog they make up weekly injections to give your dog…
    *Baths – bathing weekly or twice a week or daily washes off any allergens, pollens & dirt that’s on their skin.. bath relieve the dogs itchy skin I use Malaseb medicated shampoo it can be used daily.
    *Food have you tried “Zignature” formula’s yet? a lot of dogs with food intolerances do really well on “Zignature”
    I feed Canidae” Pure Wild Boar Canidae has limited ingredients..
    Join this face book group, “Dog Issues, allergies and other information support group”
    they have heaps of info, a lot of people are using the new drug called CADI injections, some people have said as soon as their dog had the CADI injections it stopped all his itching… Apoquel can cause too many side effects in dogs the makers of Apoquel make CADI….
    Normally when a dog has Environment allergies they also have food intolerances/sensitivities also, my boy has both Seasonal environment allergies & food sensitivities & suffers with Intestinal problems when he’s sensitive to a food & gets red paws, itchy ears bum & skin….

#100345 Report Abuse
    Donna B

Thanks for the replies! Winston had allergy bloodwork done through the vet’s office, spectrum labs. Can I assume these are correct? If so, even if I ignore the skin and saliva test, Winston has a number of food allergies (and yes environmental as well) that makes finding food difficult. The Zignature and Canide brands both contain foods that the bloodtest says he is allergic to. His food allergies are:
    Peas
    Sweet Potatoes
    Pork
    Soy
    Oats
    Peanuts
    Kelp
    Brewer’s yeast

thoughts?

#100348 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

No, blood testing is notorious for false positives. I would not use those answers either.

You will want to conduct a proper food elimination trial with the help of your vet or perhaps a different vet if the one you see encouraged you to spend money on a notoriously invalid test.

#100349 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Intradermal skin testing done by a veterinary dermatologist is the most accurate method to identify environmental allergies. Food allergies are rare, the dermatologist told me I could skip the blood test (specific to my dog’s treatment)
    The ingredients you have mentioned are impossible to avoid, unless you consult a veterinary nutritionist and have a special made diet recipe. A lot of cross contamination goes on in dog food manufacturing plants.
    It may be best to find a vet that you trust and work with him.
    Ps: There is no cheap way out of this. Environmental allergies are complicated, there are effective treatments, they tend to be lifelong.

#100372 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Donna, try Royal Canine vet diets the PR-Potato & Rabbit, PV-Potato & Venison, PW-Potato & Salmon & PD-Potato & Duck wet tin food not the kibbles, see how he goes, there’s no pea’s & no soy in these formula’s, the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic has hydrolyzate soy protein but I think the soy has been broken down & is no longer soy, like the hydrolyzed chicken liver, my boy is eating the R/C HP wet tin for lunch & he can’t eat chicken & he’s not scratching or getting his red paws after he eats it…. I thought Patch was sensitive to peas & potatoes cause he was very itchy after he ate kibbles that had peas & potatoes in them, I tried the Eukanuba FP-Fish & Potatoes vet diet, it gave him bad diarrhea & vet assumed it was from the potatoes, so I did food elimination raw diet thru Naturopath, but cause of Patches IBD we had a few problems cause of his IBD, then I cooked the raw diet & he can eat peas & potatoes…so I don’t know what happened with the Eukanuba FP vet diet maybe the potatoes were green & off causing Patch to reacted he also got diarrhea after eating Earthborn Ocean Fusion formula the first nag he was OK then I bought a different batch & he had diarrhea, I sent an email to Earthborn Holistic & they said they use all types of potatoes, brown, white, rustic etc…. ..
    Here’s the Royal Canin link, look at the Canin wet tin diets, wet tin diets are better then feeding a kibble, kibbles need more carbs to bind the kibble.. I’d be feeding a fish diet PW the Omega 3 is higher. If you look at the PW fish kibble click on the Guaranteed Analysis you’ll see it’s higher in omega 3, DPA & EPA, it’s best to send Royal Canin an email a vet nutritionist rings you back & they will help you with the best diet to start with & then do a food elimination diet with, R/C Hypoallergenic wet can be used for a elimination diets.
    https://www.royalcanin.com/products/vet/food-sensitivity

#104920 Report Abuse
    Marta B

Great idea and Great tool

#106134 Report Abuse
    Kathleen S
    Participant

Would you be able to add ingredients like acid reflux and IBS

#110153 Report Abuse
    kimberley w

I just used your tool and I can’t thank you enough! My dog is allergic to almost every protein along with rice, potato, soybean and barley. I finally found a food to try. cross your fingers!

#113162 Report Abuse
    Lenore M
    Participant

Thanks so much, Rachel :O) You’ve given me some other brands to check!

My English Bulldog is allergic to more than than she’s not — Chicken, Pork, Duck, Turkey, Fish meal, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, egg, milk, soy, corn, wheat — you name it! My Boxer, now gone :O( was also allergic to Chicken and rice! What a nightmare!

I finally found one dry dog food that they could both eat: Earthborn Holistic Meadowfeast with Lamb meal: No Chicken, no Pork, no Duck, no Turkey, no Fish meal, no white Potatoes, no Sweet Potatoes, no egg, no milk, no soy, no corn, no wheat, no brown or white rice!

Hoping this might help someone else out there with the same problem. Here are the ingredients:

Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Carrots, Spinach, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.

Any other ideas, I am all ears!!!

#127157 Report Abuse
    Athony B

Thanks this is a very useful resource, but…I have two German shepherds with really bad skin allergies and I’m reading about this link between their problems and the residue oxytetracycline (antibiotics fed to chickens, turkeys, cattle etc and which stays in them when they become meat meal for our pets) in almost all pet foods.

Does anyone know of any brands that are ethically-sourced, organic/certified chemical free in the animals used to make them?

Thanks!

#127297 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Athony,
    Your dogs probably have Environment allergies, my boy has Seasonal Environment allergies & food senitivities, they both normally come together…
    I’ve worked out my boy food sensitivities & I’m in a routine for his environment allergies weekly baths in a medicated shampoo, twice a week when he’s really itchy, I use Dermcare Malaseb medicated shampoo, it relieves Patches itchy skin & paws & kills any yeast or bacteria thats on his skin & paws, he feels heaps better after his baths & Ive washed off allergens & dirt, then I use baby creams for his paws, “Bepanthen” soothing antiseptic cream for red rash on stomach from grass & “Sudocrem” on his paws to protect against the allergens, (grass).
    I also use baby wipes to wipe him down after being outside…

If you want a diet thats ethically-sourced, organic/certified chemical free you’ll have to feed a raw diet, organic meats & vegetables humans eat.. if you live in Australia, then I’d recommend “Frontier Pets” dehydrated raw, it’s free range, organic meat, eggs & veggies..
    I’ve heard “Answers” fermented raw is very good quality but expensive you could just buy their Goats milk as this will strengthen your dogs immune system also Vitamin C & Krill Oil added to your dogs diet..
    The only other thing you could do is see a good Animal Dermatologist & have a “Intradermal Skin Test” done to see what are your dogs allergic too in the environment then they get “Immunotherapy injections”

As the dog ages their allergies get worse, Patch is doing really bad this year at the moment its Spring & we’re having 4 seasons in 1 day some days, no wonder more & more dogs are suffering with allergies now….
    Good-Luck

Have you tried “Cytopoint Injuctions” a few people say Cytopoint injection have helped their dogs they last 4-8 weeks depends on the dog, Cytopoint has less side effect then Apoquel..
    Dog will have better quality of life relieving their itch, we dont have Cytopoint in Australia yet, we have Apoquel tablets, I bought 2 weeks worth but I haven’t used them yet, my vet said I can start giving Apoquel twice a day with his meals then once he stops his itchying reduce to just 1 Apoquel tablet a day, then 1 Apoquel tablet every 2nd day, a few of my vet dog owners are doing this then stopping the Apoquel & see how the dog goes in the cooler months..

#127298 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Athony,
    Your dogs probably have Environment allergies, my boy has Seasonal Environment allergies & food senitivities, they both normally come together…
    I’ve worked out my boy food sensitivities & I’m in a routine for his environment allergies weekly baths in a medicated shampoo, twice a week when he’s really itchy, I use Dermcare Malaseb medicated shampoo, it relieves Patches itchy skin & paws & kills any yeast or bacteria thats on his skin & paws, he feels heaps better after his baths & Ive washed off allergens & dirt, then I use baby creams for his paws, “Bepanthen” soothing antiseptic cream for red rash on stomach from grass & “Sudocrem” on his paws to protect against the allergens, (grass).
    I also use baby wipes to wipe him down after being outside…

If you want a diet thats ethically-sourced, organic/certified chemical free you’ll have to feed a raw diet, organic meats & vegetables humans eat.. if you live in Australia, then I’d recommend “Frontier Pets” dehydrated raw, it’s free range, organic meat, eggs & veggies..
    I’ve heard “Answers” fermented raw is very good quality but expensive you could just buy their Goats milk as this will strengthen your dogs immune system also Vitamin C & Krill Oil added to your dogs diet..
    The only other thing you could do is see a good Animal Dermatologist & have a “Intradermal Skin Test” done to see what are your dogs are allergic too in the environment then they get “Immunotherapy injections”

As the dog ages their allergies get worse, Patch is doing really bad this year at the moment its Spring & we’re having 4 seasons in 1 day some days, no wonder more & more dogs are suffering with allergies now….
    Good-Luck

Have you tried “Cytopoint Injuctions” a few people say Cytopoint injection have helped their dogs they last 4-8 weeks depends on the dog, Cytopoint has less side effect then Apoquel..
    Dog will have better quality of life relieving their itch, we dont have Cytopoint in Australia yet, we have Apoquel tablets, I bought 2 weeks worth but I haven’t used them yet, my vet said I can start giving Apoquel twice a day with his meals then once he stops his itchying reduce to just 1 Apoquel tablet a day, then 1 Apoquel tablet every 2nd day, a few of my vet dog owners are doing this then stopping the Apoquel & see how the dog goes in the cooler months..

#144860 Report Abuse
    Katie B

Is this tool still working? I tried today and couldn’t see the list of ingredients or check boxes?

#179524 Report Abuse
    Rob W
    Participant

What a unique idea. My dog don’t have any allergy to food right now but I will definitely use this tool to enhance my a food chart for my dog.

#180411 Report Abuse
    Rob W
    Participant

Great Insight. We all have to keep an eye on our dogs so we can find out from which type of food our dogs have allergy.
    Regards! https://farmlycanine.ca/shop/

#180586 Report Abuse
    Aro D
    Participant

Great tool

——
    https://promki.pl – best deals and coupons
    https://telinfo.co – who called me?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Aro D.
    #180641 Report Abuse
    Rosa P
    Participant

online gaming describes any computer game that gives on-line interactions with different players. Video games accustomed be classified by {an on-line|a web|an internet} Content PEGI descriptor to indicate whether or not they were online or not. However, as most games currently give on-line interactions this distinction is not any longer used.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Rosa P.
Viewing 37 posts - 51 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.