šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    irene w

I have an 8 year old chi and he has lost some teeth after we had them cleaned by our vet. we are having trouble finding small kibble and have been using only this 1 brand. I like to give him healthy food and look at all the ingredients and mix some home cooked chicken or beef or egg to change the flavor.

Can anyone share the name of the brand they are using in small kibble size.
    Thanks

#88973 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Nutrisca has small kibble, check chewy.com reviews. I presoak my senior’s kibble overnight in the fridg, using water or plain homemade chicken broth. Some of these seniors don’t drink enough H20.

#88974 Report Abuse
    irene w

Thanks for your response I will definitely check it out

#88996 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nature’s Logic and Amicus are tiny. There are several brands with small breed sized kibble. Wellness is one example.

#89005 Report Abuse
    irene w

Hi
    Thanks for your response.
    Maybe you can answer another question for me. I read on this blog somewhere that it’s good to change the food you give your dog.

How many brands do you keep? or are they just different flavors?

I thought someone told me to be very careful not to upset your dogs eating by changing off to different flavors
    Thanks

#89006 Report Abuse
    anonymously

In my opinion, it depends on the dog.
    I know my poodle mix doesn’t tolerate changes well, so she gets Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea as a base, sometimes I get a small bag of Nutrisca Chicken for in between.
    My terrier does well on the Nutrisca (fish or chicken) but he also likes Orijen, so I alternate for him. The poodle doesn’t like Orijen, I think it’s too rich for her, she tends to vomit when I change her diet, so I stick with Nutrisca for her.
    However, I change the toppers frequently.

#89008 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I highly recommend feeding a variety of foods (different makers not just flavors) plus different types; add canned, dehydrated, freeze dried.

#89012 Report Abuse
    irene w

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback and thank you all for responding

#89014 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I change kibble every bag. The canned food topper is different each time. I probably have six or so flavors of canned. When I make rehydrated food, it probably lasts a few days. Raw food varies as well. I might have three or more different proteins.

#109645 Report Abuse
    Kathleen S

Although this is an old thread, I saw “small kibble” and had to comment. Not only is the food we feed our canine companions important, but the vehicle is also. My English Bulldog spent his 10 years heartily scarfing down his top-quality kibble and it showed in his good health. Right up until this past week when he inhaled a piece of it. Pneumonia quickly developed. He was in intensive care for 36 hours before I had to euthanize him. It happened that fast. Now I am kicking myself…if only I had changed his diet to a wet food…obviously the metal “slow down” ball in his bowl wasn’t enough…what if I had gotten him to the hospital faster?…? So now, I am no longer feeding kibble to my younger dog, despite my veterinarian’s advice. Something to consider as we pour over the nutritional breakdown of what we feed! How do we feed it?

#110768 Report Abuse
    Jeanette R

Dear Kathleen S,

So, so sorry to read of your loss. Your story is heartbreaking.

You obviously are a loving, deeply caring and responsible pet owner.

Sometimes, despite all we do, accidents happen.

Please be kind and forgiving of yourself. Surely you have suffered enough.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.