🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Glen R

I started feeding my dog raw chicken and now he has diarrhea and vomiting. My fiance is not happy and blaming the raw meat. I did some research and learned that any harmful bacteria will only be on the surface of the meat. So, is it possible to quickly cook the meat i am giving in order to kill the bacteria, but still have it raw for the most part bones and all. Also, what would be the best method for slightly cooking ( ~ 1 minute of boiling?).

My assumption here is that if I take for instance a frozen chicken drumstick and drop it in boiling water for a minute that the bones will remain uncooked and not splinter?

#65208 Report Abuse
    Glen R

Alternatively, could I soak the meat in vinegar or some type of acid bath? Reccommendations?

#65224 Report Abuse
    charles h

Hi Glen,

How did the change of diet happen, for example was your dog on kibble then one morning changed to raw food?

Any change of diet even going from one type of kibble to another instantly without a weening period can result in an upset stomach.

Bacteria does not affect dogs as it normally affects the intestines not the stomach however dogs have a much shorter intestinal track than humans so bacteria can not grow to cause issues.

I would guess you changed diet too quickly, persistence will ease any stomach upsets your dog has however you can use some human anti-diarrhea tablets in the meantime to make sure your dog does not loose too much liquid.

Bones such as chicken bones can also be used a binding agent to solidify stools so you can feed less meat and more bone to harden up your dogs stool then introduce more meat carefully monitoring their stools.

Hope this helps

Charles

#69055 Report Abuse
    Michelle T

I actually boil the drumstick for a minute then cut out the meat before giving the bone to my pup. Then I use the meat & some chicken organs to cook a meal with rice & minced veggies for her in the original boiled chicken water. I still mix her food with kibbles since I’m not sure what else I can add to ensure she gets all the nutrients required, & to try keeping her stool harder. Any thoughts?

#69061 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

From what I understand dogs should never be fed cooked bones of any kind.
    You can get in enough trouble with the raw. I had to take my poodle to the emergency place a while back due to vomiting and abdominal pain. She would work on a frozen beef marrow bone and grind the bone into small particles and consume.
    Well, the x-ray showed calcified material in her colon and stomach that had solidified and she was having difficulty passing. Luckily she did pass them on her own, had to take a pain med and Pepcid for a few days.
    My point is, that raw bones are not a good idea for all dogs. I still let her enjoy a small frozen raw beef marrow bone occasionally, but I take it away from her before she gets to the nitty gritty. My other dogs, the same thing, I don’t give them as often as I used to.
    But cooked bones, NEVER.
    PS: I tried raw but quickly realized it would be best to use fresh killed organic meat…which I can’t afford.
    So I slightly cook their food (minus the bone) and combine with a high grade kibble. I have posted a link to the natural diet (written by a vet) it is in some of my other posts, if you are interested.

#69065 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I even had a meat grinder, I recently donated it to the Goodwill. Way to much mess and cleaning (imo)
    But some people like them…

#69079 Report Abuse
    Michelle T

Sounds good LM, guess I’ll just remove the bone first before cooking the meat. I’ve only tried the raw bone once & took away the more brittle part before she was done with it, but she did got lots from it & enjoyed it thoroughly. I use Natural Choice kibbles to mix with her home cooked meals, a better choice, but would love an even better grade if I can find it.

#69108 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pdf
    “Natural Diet for Dogs: Guidelines for Optimal Nutrition”

I am leery of all bones, but I still give my dog a frozen raw beef marrow bone as a treat occasionally…with caution.
    For dental, I brush their teeth every evening, it helps.

#69117 Report Abuse
    Michelle T

Gave her a small raw turkey neck yesterday. She ate most of it then stopped with 2 inches left…guess she knows when it’s enough 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.