šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

Hi All,

I am thinking of putting Jasper on a probiotic. The vet found that Jasper has a lot of yeast in his stool. He currently put him on Purina Veterinary FortiFlora. The vet said that once the yeast clears he should not have to remain on a probiotic, but I am thinking it might be a good idea. Jasper has had several bouts of not wanting to eat his food, and will eat grass and vomit the grass/bile. On a really bad day, he refuses to eat at all. On a normal day he is so excited to eat. I’ve tried a few different foods, but he was mainly on Fromm Gold, and Canidae Lamb and Rice. He was on the Canidae since late summer when finally in March he started to not want to eat and wanted grass and to throw up. I tried Zignature, but he didn’t seem to do well…I finally put him on Fromm Beef and Veg GF. Then we ended up at the vet. He said not to switch foods right now and to use the probiotic. After doing research, I would like to eventually get him on a Grain Free/Potato free diet and add a probitoic daily. I’ve read about Probiotic Miracle and Wholistic Pet Digest. Is anyone familiar with either one of these and if so…would you recommend it…or is there something better?

#17580 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have used products from Mercola and Swanson Vitamins. Both are very good but I will use the Swanson ones simply because of the cost.

#17581 Report Abuse
    DieselJunki

I’m not sure the Purina would really help anything (It’s an awful food in my opinion)… I would put him back on the Fromms. The Fromms is at least a much better kibble and then add in a probiotic. I use the Mercola one’s but if price is an issue for you the Swanson one’s would definitely be cheaper per dose.

I heard you say he doesn’t like to eat sometimes, Hound Dog Mom suggested Trippet for my puppy when he was a picky eater. A couple spoonfuls and he was chowing down!

Vets really aren’t all that great when it comes to the nutritional requirements of a dog. If all else fails and you can’t get the yeast under control think about raw. I’ve heard many stories where feeding raw helped allergies, smelly dogs, yeasty dogs, ear infections, ect. Not that it fixes all problems but I believe what I read was that kibble is full of carbs that contribute to feeding the yeast.

#17582 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Forti Flora has very few strains of different probiotics and when you need to get yeast under control, using as many strains as possible is better. Swansons has a really good probiotic called Dr. Langers and it has a really nice price tag too. You pay a lot more when it is marketed to pets, but human probiotics are good for pets too.

Carbs in the diet feed yeast so getting your dog on a low carb diet is important, but you may need to switch over a month or so instead of the usual week or so. I highly recommend Brothers Complete for dogs with yeast problems. Their foods were specifically designed for dogs with these types of problems.

#17583 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Also, take him off city water and anything else you can think of that might kill gut bacteria, like antibiotics.

#17586 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Dr Langers is buy 1 get one free at Swanson’s right now.

#17623 Report Abuse
    jpminnix
    Participant

I just ordered from mercola.com for my chihuahua you can read and listen to the vet on the website about the probiotic she sells.

#17627 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

Thank you all! I just watched the video at Mercola and was quite impressed. I decided to order the 3 pack of the probiotic…and I googled for coupon codes and was able to get a $10 off coupon! Really hoping this will help his digestive issues.

#17808 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

Ok All, I purchased the Mercola Probitotic but haven’t started it yet because I wanted to continue with the Forti Flora and see if there was any change in his stool with the yeast amount. There was not. I told my vet about the Mercola product and he took the info and said he wanted to check into it to see if it was a good product. I just spoke with him and he said he called Mercola and they were very vague, he asked if any studies have been done on the product because he wants to make sure the bacteria are actually live, like they claim etc. He said he was put on hold for 11 minutes and they never picked him back up. This makes me a little nervous. Has anyone really used this for any length of time and seen good results? He said the only other probiotic he would recommend is Pro-Viable. I have not done research on that as of yet.

#17809 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Proviable looks a lot better than Forti Flora – it has 7 strains of probiotics which is a decent amount. The company that makes Proviable, Nutramax Labs, is also a pretty reputable company. If you want to go with a product that your vet approves of, I’d go with that. I’ve never used the Mercola supplement – I prefer my dogs to get their probiotics from natural sources such as raw green tripe, kefir and yogurt – but I would trust any product Dr. Becker put her name on and I know several of the “regulars” on this site have used it with good results.

#17810 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used Mercola probiotics for about 2 yrs now but have just purchased some Dr Langer’s also (for me to use too). It depends on what I’m feeding. If it’s wet food, I like to sprinkle in the probiotics, if dry kibble, I just like to give them a pill without having to wet the kibble. It’s quite time consuming sometimes to wet the kibble with canned food. This week I’m feeding 12 dogs. Maybe it’s not so much time consuming but the dogs are sooooo impatient when I pop open a can and it can get quite loud!!

#17811 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I used Mercola Probiotics with great results, but I was feeding something else with probiotics at the same time so I don’t now how much one helped more than the other.

#17817 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’ve tried many probiotic supplements for my dogs, including Mercola which I thought worked fine.
    Recently, I used Micro Flora + from Herbsmith and loved it! Now, however, I’m not using a probiotic for them because they are doing great without one. I admit I have switched them back to Natural Balance’s limited ingredient kibble. Right now, they are eating the Swt. Pot. & Fish. I’ve been topping it with Merrick, NB, TOTW, 4Health, Blue Stews, Wellness Stews and all are doing the best they have done in years. Stools great, breath great, coats great, appetites great and all without any supplements. I’m just flabbergasted! I admit I boycotted NB (because of Diamond) and I still don’t like the fact that they use them :(, but I have to say this food is working so well. Laverne, who is my worst in the stool, allergy/intolerance dept. is doing the best she’s done since I’ve had her. Twelve year old Lucy is acting even more young, Hazel’s coat is so shiny. I’m very pleased! But, back on topic….if I were to use a probiotic again I would go with Herbsmith’s Micro Flora +.

#19918 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

I have been using the Mercola on Jasper for about a month now. I started out at the Theraputic dose…twice a day. I saw immediate improvement. He no longer had the upset tummy and no longer had the need to go out and eat grass so he could vomit! After 2 weeks, I changed to just giving once a day in the morning. He is still doing well! I am so relieved. I do like that it is a powder and I just mix with a little plain yogurt. I am thrilled with this product, but it really is pricey. I see that Mom2Cavs recommends Herbsmith, which I found that a local natural pet food store sells, and that InkedMarie recommended Swanson’s. I didn’t realize that the Dr. Langer’s by Swansons was for humans. If I switch to Swansons, do you break open the pill and pour it over the food? And if so, how would I figure the correct dose? Jasper is a larger Cavalier and weighs about 27lbs.

#19929 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

When I give human supplements to my dogs I just open the capsule and mix it with the food. I base the serving size off a 100 lb. person. So for example I’d give a 25 lb. dog 1/4 the recommended human dose, a 50 lb. dog 1/2 the recommended human dose, a 75 lb. 3/4 the recommended human dose and a dog >100 lbs. the full human dose. There really is no risk of “overdosing” with probiotics so you don’t need to stress too much about getting the dose exactly right.

#19932 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

Thanks HDM for your sound advice!!

#20016 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HDM told me I could I’ve them every other day for my 21 pounder o I didn’t need to do half a dose or less.

#20067 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I found that there is a lot of good information and recommendations about supplements including probiotics on dogaware dot com.

#24227 Report Abuse
    labber
    Participant

We tried a round of almost every probiotic for “dogs” out there… mercola, purina, micro flora, blahblah blah. I can vouch for Probiotic Miracle. We got the best results with PM and when we decided to stop supplementing for a few weeks all the allergies and poop problems came back. So now all our dogs get Probiotic Miracle every day, which, if you get the 3-pack, it is very affordable (and way cheaper than vet visits!). Been about 2 years now and we have healthy dogs all year round. Last 6 months we’ve also switched over to their raw grain free dog food formula which is cream of the crop in my opinion. Anyway PM is the way to go where probiotics for dogs is concerned.

#24281 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

Jasper has been doing very well on the Mercola Probiotic and hasn’t had an episode since Spring! However, it is pricey and I was hoping to find something similar for him. I don’t feel comfortable going the human probiotic route…at least for now. The Mercola lasts around one and a half months. I decided to look into the Probiotic Miracle and even though the cost appears to be the same for a smaller container, the container should last around 4 months for his weight category. The reviews were also very good for it. I just ordered a container and will see how he does and will report back later.

#24309 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Why won’t you use the human form? Alot of us use Dr Stephen Langers from Swanson Vitamins. Human ones are more closely regulated and dog ones aren’t.

#37737 Report Abuse
    Kim L

So just to be clear, I can give my 17 pound Shih Tzu this human probiotic and it will not hurt him at all? http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Langers-Ultimate-Strain-Probiotic/dp/B0078NKEJ4/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396643431&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=steven+langers

And about 1/4 of the serving size of a human?

Thank you so much. This information is truly so useful.

#37738 Report Abuse
    Kim L

And sorry to post again, but for a very yeasty Shih Tzu, can anyone recommend a dog probiotic that has worked for them in the past? We are dealing with some yeast and I would love to get him on a good probiotic soon. He is currently on the Vetri-Science probiotic chews, but they have brewers yeast in them which is not ideal.

Thanks so much!

#37739 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

You have to be careful with alot of probiotics, many cheap probiotics are unstable & lose their beneficial properties in a dogs stomach before the probiotic can reach the intestine… google this [Dog Probiotics warning & reveiws] this site gives you names of good probiotics that will work on ur dogs…I use Protexin that’s used for horses…

#37741 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Would some yogurt help a dog with occasional gas? (it’s very random, doesn’t seem to rely on what he eats. But when he gets it, it’s stay-outta-the-room bad) or would investing in a probiotic be needful?

#37743 Report Abuse
    Dori

One of my dogs was very yeasty, the other two were mildly so. What worked for them was switching their diet and adding Mercola’s Complete Probiotics. The switch in their diet back then was to a grain, soy, rice, white potato, poultry free. All yeast, bad breath, horrendous gas issues, runny goopy eyes all went away. Also one of them had terribly dry skin. I later transitioned them to all raw and that is what they eat now.

Mercola Complete Probiotics is on the expensive side but I think it’s a really good company and product. It’s also a lot less expensive than being at the vet every time you turn around and being charged their outrageous prices for meds that don’t fix the actual problem, only the symptoms and then to add insult to injury they want you to feed your animals their horrible foods that the sell and get kick backs on.

#37747 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I too use mercola probiotics and digestive enzymes. I love these products!

#37750 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Shasta 220, Ive read that yogurt doesnt work on dogs unless the yogurt has live bacteria cultures, like Activia Yogurt owned by Dannon. some people mix their probiotic with 1 teaspoon of yogurt…

#37752 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Shasta 220. The best yogurt is plain greek yogurt. But plain greek yogurt still does not have as many cultures as you can get in, let’s say, Mercola Complete Probiotics. Not Activia. Plain greek yogurt is much better for humans as it is for dogs.

#37760 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Ah, I was going to say Greek, yes. I wouldn’t use activia since I don’t think it comes in plain – all is full of extra sugar.

I may give it a go, and if he still gets his “troubles” (plugs nose) by the end of the container, I’ll look into an actual supplement.

#37765 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Greek is quite divine though. I am so frustrated that I have dairy allergies (to the lactose and one other thing, can’t remember what.), so I can’t even have yogurt anymore. Buuuuuut they make cultured coconut milk (even Greek style!), so I’m happy again XD

#37768 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

You get the Activa light & fit, its sugar & fat FREE plain flavour, not the berry flavoured ones..it will still have its sugar/protein proportions that naturally occurs in milk but it wont have added sugars..

#37846 Report Abuse
    Cavalierluvr
    Participant

I too have had problems with my dog having too much yeast in his system. I also highly recommend Mercola’s Complete Probiotic. I have had great success with it. However, it is pricey. I will switch between Mercola and Nusentia Probiotic Miracle. It is the same price, however, with Probiotic Miracle, the amount given is smaller and will last for 3 months versus just over 1 month with Mercola. Unfortunately, both must be purchased off the internet, they are not sold in retail stores.

#37847 Report Abuse
    Dori

I use both Mercola digestive enzymes and Mercola Complete Probiotics. They are well worth the money. My dogs are doing so well. Cost wise I guess it the size of your dog or dogs would come in to play as to how long they last. My dogs are 5 lbs., 6 lbs., & 7.3 lb.s. When I purchase them I always go for their deals where you can buy more than one at a time and get a “little” bit of a break in cost.

#37902 Report Abuse
    Zanes Mom

I have been rotating probiotics and recently started adding kefir to my boy’s meals. He really loves the kefir so I plan to keep it as part of his diet but now I wonder if I should cut back or eliminate the powered probiotics. He is on a kibble diet with a canned topper or fresh chicken, veggies etc. He also gets sardines three times a week. I would also like to know if anyone makes their own kefir and if there is a source for the grains they would recommend. I have learned so much from visiting this site and appreciate the wealth of information that is freely shared. Thanks to all!

#37945 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

I understand that Vetri Science has a good Probiotic. I am looking for a good one too. Several on this site have mentioned using Greek plain yogurt and Kefir before the meal. That sounds viable to me and could be very easy and cost efficient. Will be interested in what other say.

Can anyone tell me please the best recommendation for the correct percentage of Carbs in dog food? Thanks.

#37980 Report Abuse
    Kim L

Thank you all so much. This has been so helpful. Looks like I might be trying the Mercola probiotics. I currently give my boy a spoonful of Chobani fat free plain Greek yogurt. It does contain live active cultures including acidophilus which I know is good for yeast. Would it hurt to continue feeding the yogurt on occasion? Or could I really mix the mercola in with that? I guess I really should get a real probiotic and not use yogurt in lieu of it.

Anyway, thank you again. And sue66b, thank you for the helpful link. I am definitely going to go there before I buy anything.

#37989 Report Abuse
    Dori

Glad to hear you’re ordering the Mercola probiotics. I use them and think they are a good company. You can certainly use both the probiotics and on occasion use the greek yogurt. No problem. I give my dogs greek yogurt periodically also but I don’t use the fat free. Just plain greek yogurt.

#37998 Report Abuse
    kvee

I just placed an order for THK’s Pro-Bloom Goat Milk with probiotics and enzymes. I’ll share my experience when time comes.

#39618 Report Abuse
    chris h

Hi,

My dog is a golden/collie/spaniel mix that we rescued a couple years ago. She had terrible yeast issues when we got her, her skin was black which looked strange on a dog with golden fur. After too many antibiotics and recommendations from various vets, I decided enough was enough. I researched foods and put her on the Natures Variety Instinct limited ingredient turkey meal formula. I then researched probiotics and I ordered the probiotic miracle on amazon. I get the year supply for $39.99. It took six months and lots of research but her skin is now pink and healthy, her fur is silky and she is a happy dog. We really can’t try too many different foods or else she will start itching and having trouble again but she gets carrots and duck treats which she loves. The probiotic miracle has done wonders combined with the right food. Hope this helps.

#80915 Report Abuse
    Raquel A

I just wanted to take the time to inform those that may see this thread that we have a website completely dedicated to probiotics for dogs – Doggy’s Digest.

If you can help spread the word about our website, you can help us in our mission to inform more pet owners about the amazing benefits of probiotics. We think it’s a crime that dogs are being haphazardly recommended antibiotics.

If there is something you would like to see from us, please do not let us know and we’ll try our best to accommodate. Thank you very much for your help.

– Raquel A

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Raquel A.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Raquel A.
    #80918 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Raquel, my boy has IBD & suffers with the Helicobacter-Pylori on & off, we found this all out thru Endoscope & Biopsies 1 year ago, the only why to diagnosed Helicobacter in dogs is thru Endoscope & Biopsies….. he was put on triple therapy meds Metronidazole, Amoxicillin & Zantac for 3 weeks…. the vet that did the Endoscope & biopsies recommended prebiotics when the antibiotics were finished, he doesn’t believe in probiotics for dogs but Patches other vet does…..I have found diet plays a big part when too much bad bacteria takes over….
    My problem is probiotics & prebiotics seem to make Patch worse, he feels sick, nausea, wants grass etc after having his probiotic, it’s like the probiotics has a party with Patches bad bacteria & make everything worse, then I joined a group on Face Book called “Fast Tract Diet” run by Dr Norm Robillard, then I read about the die off period when you take probiotic & how you can feel real sick also Norm Robillard say’s you should take probiotics on empty stomach when your stomach acids are low, so either first thing in the morning or night before bed all by themselves, not with food, when we are eating our stomach acids are real strong & kill the live probiotics….
    Do you know anything about the die off period, Patch was taking a real good animal probiotic called “Protexin” a live probiotic that’s kept in fridge….in the Fast Tract Diet group Dr Norm Rollibard has a book & what foods to eat & not to eat starchy Carbs as they are the worst especially potatoes most dog grain free food have Potatoes, I haven’t bought his books yet, but Patch gets worse after eating potatoes he gets his bad fermenting breath back, he starts his whinging his stomach hurts, so I put him on the Metronidazole for 2 weeks & he’s all good again…I’ve been trying to work out his diet, I know raw is the best but he burps & some of the raw food comes up & then he get acid reflux, the Raw seems to digest real quick & then he regurgitates the raw… Do you have any research that probiotics are working & helping dogs?? cause I know a few other ladies from a IBD group & their dogs can not take probiotics either their dogs get sick with vomiting & the probiotics seem to make everything worse…..I know antibiotics are being over prescribe & are bad, here’s a link “Antibiotic Over Use” that was on the Fast Tract Diet Group site… http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4240113/

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.