🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shirley F

Hi, I´m new here and would like some feedback about nutrition facts and lack of nutrients in the raw food I feed my 2 dogs? My older is 4 years old and has recently been diagnosed with crystals in his urine. My vet recommended a dry food that contains an SO index, but he would rather eat carton than that kibble…I am using vitamin C and a cranberry dosage in his food, but my vet said that would not clear up the crystals, but am I wrong in assuming that the SO index is just magnesium? I´m feeding them Nordic, a food blended here in Iceland, but the same ingredients the Swedish company uses except for the meat, it´s local. They also get raw turkey necks once a day. Anyone here with thoughts on extra nutrients in their diet? Thanks!

#85213 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Have you checked the search engine at this site for “bladder stones”

Example: /forums/topic/crystalstone-in-bladder/

Often when the infection is treated (antibiotics) and water intake is increased the condition clears up, unless they have another type of stones, also. They can have more than one type. Often there is a genetic component.

The best thing you can do is to increase water intake and offer frequent bathroom breaks, opportunities to urinate. Sure, dogs can hold it, but that’s not good for this condition, You want to keep the bladder flushed. Stagnant conditions in the bladder are conducive to stone formation.
    PS: Has your dog had an x-ray to rule out calcium oxalate stones?
    I use a potassium citrate/cranberry supplement I get from Chewy.com. It depends on the type of stones.
    It is best to get approval from the veterinarian that is treating the dog before adding anything, and I would go along with the prescription diet for now. PH levels fluctuate and it takes a while (sometimes weeks) to see changes, at least that is what my vet told me.

you may find this site helpful: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/ Recent blog about cranberry supplements.
    I don’t know what you are talking about “So Index”. I would listen to the vet and use the prescription food, just a a bite of something tasty, pre-soak it overnight, a spoonful of plain chicken broth…he’s right, cranberry will not clear up crystals. Antibiotics will, but they will come back if you don’t make necessary changes.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by anonymously.
    #85217 Report Abuse
    anonymously

This must be what you are talking about:
    “Supports Struvite Dissolution
    Supports urinary health
    Increases urine volume to help decrease struvite and calcium oxalate levels
    Royal Canin Urinary SO Index® promotes a urinary environment unfavorable to the development of both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals
    100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition
    100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
    Canine Urinary SO Small Dog is a complete and balanced diet specifically designed for small breed adult dogs. It is formulated to aid in the nutritional management of calcium oxalate and struvite urolithiasis.”
    – See more at: https://www.royalcanin.com/products/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-canine-urinary-so-small-dog-dry-dog-food-8.8-lb-bag/488488#sthash.XwQ2ioGa.dpuf

#85236 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi when I rescued Patch he was weeing blood, we did ultra scan & he had crystal, Patch was put on the Royal Canine Urinary SO wet & dry for 6 weeks only, wet for dinner, kibble for breakfast & no other foods then after the 6 weeks he had another ultra scan & all crystals had dissolved & were all gone…… 🙂 then vet said he can stop the Royal Canine SO & eat a normal diet… here’s a diet for preventing Urinary Crystals just scroll down & click on “Acidifying Raw Diet” its raw but it can be cooked it gives you an idea..
    http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/natural-diet.html

#85281 Report Abuse
    Shirley F

Thanks so much for your answers, I have visited all these sites, and yes, I am talking about the Royal Canine urinary the vet advised, my Lenny would rather chew on cardboard, he didn´t eat for days, refused to eat it. He is actually used to raw food and won´t touch anything else. Do you know where I would find a nutrition chart so I could compare the nutrients in his food? Thanks so much!

#85282 Report Abuse
    Shirley F

Also, most if not all companies do not ship to Iceland…I looked up the site chewy.com and liked what I saw, but cannot order, so I´ll have to find another solution 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.