šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nicole A
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a six month old mix who will likely be around 55 pounds full grown (he is currently 37). He loves all of his treats, but will not touch his Science Diet Puppy Chicken & Barley food. We tried mixing it with Science Diet wet food, which he likes a little better, but still won’t eat most of the kibble.

We has him on Blue Buffalo Puppy food, but he was having diarrhea and the vet suggested we transition away from it because of the high fat content.

I am overwhelmed by all of the puppy food choices. Any suggestions for a puppy who is bored of mealtime with a sensitive stomach?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

#153038 Report Abuse
    dogsforever123
    Participant

Have you considered a raw diet? Dogs tend to love it and you can incorporate raw foods quite easily…I don’t have any specific dog food brands I would recommend so I suggest you try a few different types of dry and wet food and see what your puppy likes.

#153081 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

You might want to give Stella & Chewy’s a try. I know many pet owners comment on their f/b page and under reviews on their f/b page that they went through many foods but will eat Stella’s kibble and do very well with feeding their food https://www.facebook.com/pg/stellaandchewys/reviews/?ref=page_internal believe it’s high protein average fat and low carbs. As dogs forever suggested also that incorporating a little raw would be great. I myself use Stella’s alternating between their raw coated chicken grains free and also grain inclusive. No stomach trouble ever.e My two also are fed freeze dried in different brands with the flavors/proteins which are lower in fat since my one tends to get diarrhea also from the higher fat foods. Just make sure when introducing new kibble or other foods that you go VERY, VERY, VERY slowly. Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Patricia A.
    #153205 Report Abuse
    m3ntat
    Participant

Shelter puppies do well on Pro Plan puppy, their small breed, regular, and large breed variations, even during sudden transition when surrendered or picked up as abandoned/stray. It’s highly palatable, as they invest in veterinary nutrition r and d proving and improving palatability, safety, balance, and good growth development. It has higher DHA/EPA concentration, essential omega fatty acids contributing to formation of cardiac, bone, nervous system, eye, kidney and skin tissue during development. Purine ONE is a step down in ingredient quality, but their puppy diet is also highly palatable, with dehydrated shreds of meat amongst the kibble pieces. Royal Canin is another option, although Pro Plan is more palatable by most clinical observation of puppies’ appetites. HIll’s Science Diet puppy isn’t as palatable as competing similar puppy diets, as shelter and veterinary professionals can attest despite its good nourishment for lactating mothers as well as puppies, but if your pup’s apathy towards commercial diet persists, as long as he’s maintaining body condition aka adequate covering over bony processes such as hips and spine that you can feel these when press lightly, but not see them, he is ingesting enough to maintain during his growth and development. Mealtime training, with less treats between meal time, i.e. 2T peanut butter in kong at crate time twice daily, after meals, but not treats throughout the day, can improve appetite at meals. At his size and age, his approximate daily energy requirement is 1000-1200 kcals. It will be closer to 700kcal when growth is complete. Diarrhea on a rich, fatty diet does not necessarily imply sensitivity. If his body condition was good on Hill’s per your DVM, maintain; if he was a bit low body condition per your DVM, try the Pro Plan, or ONE, or Royal Canin. Boutique diets advertised as human grade or superior quality don’t have the r and d testing to ensure appropriate growth and development, safety, and palatability that more established manufacturers have. Adding less than 10% of the total diet as cooked egg, lean meat, whole grain such as rice, pasta, orzo, lentil, can entice appetite, but can create a dog that will not eat food without these added, may not eat the treats you have on hand for training, and lead to more restrictions due to preference down the road. This can especially make medicating or prescription diet feeding difficult. Food for thought.

#153210 Report Abuse
    m3ntat
    Participant

1 to 1.3 cups per the Pro Plan puppy guideline for 6mo old who will be up to 50lb at maturity. Up to 2c at 8mo. Compared to Hill’s 4c/day for 6-9mo old, very large volume for 37lb pup to try to ingest, lots of poop waste of nonabsorbed content. Pro Plan Pup https://www.purina.com/pro-plan/dogs/dry-dog-food/focus-puppy-chicken-rice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.