šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am concerned with the #7 on the bottom of wet dogdood packaged in plastic tubs. As I understand that designation signifies BPA is present and will leach into the food. I have tried contacting the companies they just say there is no BPA in their packaging . I don’t understand since thatr #7 means there is BPA. Can anyone clarify this for me. I am thinking the industry is SO deceptive it is probably best to cook for my new pup. Thanks for any info.

#16145 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would say that you are right about the BPA and they are deceptive or the person on the phone is pig ignorant. Which, unfortunately, is a real option. Before you start making your own food, make sure you do the research. An unbalanced raw food may be worse for your dog than a little PBA. The easiest way to get started is to buy one of the premixes that you just add meat to. That gives you time to research more, before you are completely making your own.

#16148 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

That’s very interesting. I’ll have to look at some tubs next time at the stores. Is it next to the recycle symbol?

#16157 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The #7 is in the recycle triangle. It is so hard to believe that these particular food companies would guse really high quality ingredients and then put them in a contaminated container.

I will do more research on home-cooked diets. Thank you for your input.

#16168 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi havapup6 –

Not all containers with the number 7 contain BPA, so I wouldn’t automatically assume the company is trying to deceive you. “In general, plastics are marked with Resin Identification Codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are very unlikely to contain BPA. Some, but not all, plastics marked woth the Resin Identification Code 7 may be made with BPA.” I would actually be more apt to assume the food is BPA free – the reason being all large dog food cans (to my knowledge) contain BPA so the reason behind some companies
    going to tubs and pouches is to avoid BPA. If there was BPA in the plastic why wouldn’t they just use a can (which would cheaper)? What brand of food are we discussing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.