đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer B

Does anyone have info about a recent lawsuit vs Orijen/Acana regarding lead and arsenic levels?

Lawsuit filed against Champion Pet Food – Acana and Orijen

Important: Click here to view relevant admin note below.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Mike Sagman.
    #112249 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

I feed my Cavapoo Origin Original (live in Georgia) and she is thriving on it. The only information I have seen is the same article fort which you provided the URL. I guess we now wait for Champion’s response

#112250 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

How Much Is Too Much?

So, exactly how much is too much lead, arsenic, mercury or cadmium for pets? The FDA has no set limits.

“In the absence of any federal regulation, for pet food, we had to rely on something that could really help consumers understand the levels that we were seeing,” Bowen said.

So for those of us feeding our family pets dog food from Champion, we wait?

#112253 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Unlike recalls, lawsuits are based on complaints and accusations only. And when they result in a settlement, the truth or falsehood of the allegations are usually not revealed to the public.

Each of our reviews is based upon the factual information we retrieve from government-regulated and standardized pet food labels
 and nothing else.

If you’ll Google the name of almost any major brand, you’ll likely find hundreds of complaints, claims and lawsuits for many of their products.

Once any dog food has been confirmed to have a serious problem, the FDA expects the related company to voluntarily recall its product.

Until we know with certainty if a particular dog food has been tested and recalled, it would be unfair and irresponsible for us to consider unverified claims when writing our reviews.

#112256 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

This is a reply from Champion Dog Food facebook page:
    Champion Petfoods is with Maureen Randall Breakfield.
    18 hrs ·
    Dear Fellow Pet Lovers,

The allegations contained within a Class Action Complaint that was brought against us on March 1st are meritless and based on misinterpretation of the data.

Let us assure you that our products are safe and that we systematically test our products at two third-party laboratories using the Official Methods of Analysis by Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC). While we plan to comprehensively refute the wide range of false allegations in a court of law at the appropriate date, in the interim we want you to be confident in the safety and quality of our products.

For more information, we urge you to read: ORIJEN and ACANA Foods in Comparison to Pet Food Safety Standards, here: http://bit.ly/2HMvJiy

As you know, our commitment to using fresh and raw meat and fish ingredients means that pets and Pet Lovers can count on Champion to provide safe, Biologically Appropriate™ nutrition. Much like the natural human food we consume, Champion Petfoods contains small traces of a range of naturally occurring elements. These so-called ‘heavy metals’ are found throughout the Earth’s environment, and the miniscule amounts of these substances found in Champion Petfoods are a safe and common component of both human and animal diets. Our Biologically Appropriate™ foods feature much higher levels of quality fresh and raw meat ingredients than conventional pet foods, including fish and seafood ingredients.

Please know that we are confident that we will prevail as the facts and evidence are presented to the court, and that these baseless claims will not deter us from our mission of delivering award-winning Biologically Appropriate™ foods. The legal complaint has no bearing whatsoever on the activities or operation of our business, and you will continue to enjoy the same high degree of professionalism and quality you have come to expect from Champion.

Thank you for your continued commitment to our company and our quality food products.

Champion Petfoods

Image may contain: text

#112266 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

It’s found in certain ingredients & can be compared to amount of lead in water that’s safe to drink. Their 6 month test study wouldn’t be viable if you’d been feeding a high lead formula for years and years. To find out about your specific food, you’ll have to send it to a lab, many to choose from.

#112282 Report Abuse
    Marla G

I’m comfortable with what Champion Pet Foods told me yesterday via phone, and also the owner of my feed store. He has toured the Kentucky facility for Acana and was beyond impressed. It is truly considered state of the art. He said there are so many checks and balances in place to insure food safety, he couldn’t believe it, but was very happy at the lengths they go to. He talked about putting booties on his shoes when he entered each section of the plant, and did so over a dozen times along with hand washing too. He said he personally feeds Champion Pet Foods along with his gf, family and friends.

#112283 Report Abuse
    Lewis F
    Participant

Maria: Thank you for the post. I’m not changing from providing Orijen to my four legged family member. I will however, follow the information on the law suit

#112286 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Lewis,

I don’t blame you. I’ve been monitoring legal cases myself for more than 9 years. I’ve not found many of them very helpful.

That’s because…

When a lawsuit results in a settlement, the truth or falsehood of the allegations are almost never revealed to the public.

Your best defense is to be sure you’re on our our free dog food recall alert list. And to favor brands known to regularly test their foods. Unfortunately, many don’t.

Hope this helps.

#112574 Report Abuse
    Janet A

I was curious about the table listed in the lawsuit naming the different Orijen and Acana Foods and the amount of contaminants found. The contaminants are listed in ug/kg and I converted them to parts per million or PPM which is what the MCL or maximum contaminant level is usually given in. I then found what the amount of the contaminant allowed in human food from the International/National Standards for heavy metals in food and compared it to the newly converted amounts in the dog food. Except for two that were barely over the Mercury level allowed, the amounts were found to be safe. For BPA I did not find a concrete set of data for the amount allowed in food. The MCL for levels in drinking water is much more stringent than what it is for food.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Janet A.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.