šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dogsatplay
    Participant

Reading here I learned that Merrick bought Castor and Pollux in 2012, and that the ingredients list includes poultry meal, instead of chicken meal. They also now list poultry fat, instead of chicken fat. I called Merrick today, and a customer service rep said C&P made that change before the sale, and that they use the term poultry meal because the front of the bag claims to have organic chicken, which it does, but the meal, is not organic. Regulations (I think she said AAFCO’s) say it cannot be called chicken meal (!). She declared that it is chicken meal and that the FAQ on their web page explains this. Checking the FAQ, I found it says Ultramix contains chicken meal, but it to me it appears to say Organix contains chicken and turkey meal, under the term, poultry meal. I’d like the label to be clearer. Also, one of the FAQ’s is, ‘what’s in the poultry meal?’ The answer is ambiguous at best: chicken and turkey with the fat melted down and removed. Nothing about muscle meat, organ meat, whole chicken, chicken parts, etc. I think it’s time for an update of the review of Organix, especially in light of the fact that it is now made by Merrick. I’m already studying other brands with the possibility that I might switch again.

#16703 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m responding to the title of your post. Dr Mike has a job and a life. He reviews new foods and updates already reviewed ones as time allows.

#16718 Report Abuse
    dogsatplay
    Participant

Thank you for responding. Is InkedMarie suggesting that there shouldn’t be an update, or just annoyed that I have the audacity to request one?

#16720 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I;m saying the guy can’t possibly update every dog food that has had a change AND post new reviews in the timeframe people might want.

#16721 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It was last updated on 11/02/2011 and they are usually updated every 18 months so keep your eyes open next month for an update. And give Dr. Mike a break if it takes until June to get it done. He does have other things going on in his life besides dog food reviews.

#16722 Report Abuse
    dogsatplay
    Participant

You may be right, or, in this case, you may not be. I have the right to ask. I’ll add this: the sale of a dog food company as highly rated as Castor and Pollux is significant, and while it may not matter to you, experts – including on Web site – stress the importance of delineating which type of meat is in an ingredient. Incidentally, you could have clearer and less rude in your first reply.

#16724 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

No one said you didn’t have right to ask. If you read the DFA, people ask all the time and I respond the same: the man has a life. He reviews and updates when life allows.
    As far as how I respond, if you took me rude, sorry about that. I had a shot in my hip yesterday that went in through my groin and I’m hurting. My answer is the same. Sometimes I wish people would think. Look at all the foods he reviews and the articles he writes. It doesn’t take much reading on DFA to see he’s a dentist and obviously has a job.
    I believe there is a link on DFA on how to find a good dog food; if something has changed in a food, read his article on how to find a good one and figure out if it’s good or not.

#16741 Report Abuse
    dogsatplay
    Participant

pattyvaughn, thank you for the information regarding the updates. I’d like to point out that no where have I demanded that Dr. Sagman do an immediate update. I’m just asking. And to InkedMarie, thanks for the apology. You are, however, wrong to assume that I haven’t already read the reviews on this Web site, and the articles, especially those on choosing a good dog food, or that I won’t do it again if I decide to change foods. I’ve researched beyond “DFA” as well. May I suggest http://www.dogfoodproject.com, and http://www.thepetfoodlist.com for interesting information on who makes the foods? You can also get deeper information about the companies themselves simply by searching Wikipedia.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.