Need to know if a 5yr dog can have a high Glucosamine diet?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Need to know if a 5yr dog can have a high Glucosamine diet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

Ive think I may have found a low fat kibble that I can buy, it’s the Holistic Select Senior, fat is 10% fiber is 3.50% But my boy is only 5yrs old when I’ve compared this kibble with other Holistic Select Flavours most of the ingredients are the same but the Glucosamine is 750mg/kg in the Senior, where the other kibbles the Glucosamine is only 340mg/kg.. Will that matter the Glucosamine being so high, Can a 5yr old be on a senoir diet will it matter to his health…

#36786 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m a little confused by your question, sorry if I’m missing something. I was under the impression that by the time dog food is cooked, whatever glucosamine was there is all but gone. Buy a joint supplement if you need it.

Why do you need a senior food?

#36787 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

No, Vet said I need a kibble that is 10% or under in fat, he said he likes 8% fat, for Pancreatitis, He showed me the Hills & Royal Canin vet diets & I dont like all the crap in them, its bad enough he’s on the Vet Diet Eukanuba Intestinal, but the Eukanuba seems a bit better then Hills & R/C so Ive been looking at all the kibbles & the weight loss kibbles are low in fat BUT the fiber is always high 7-10% so now Im looking at senior kibbles as the fat is normally low but Ive found that the Glucosamine is high in the Holistic Select its 750mg/kg. Im just woundering will it matter him being only 5 yrs old & having alot of Glucosamine…

#36809 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That really isn’t high for glucosamine and even if it were it would be fine. The only problem would be that later on if you need a joint supplement, glucosamine might not be as effective.

#36813 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Oh OK, he’ll be 6 in November, I think 7 yrs old is the start to be a senior dog, as you’ll see 1-6yrs for aldult foods then 7+ for senior foods, Also the Ash in kibbles, what should it be around.. I see 7.5% 9.5% 11% should it be lower or higher & what does Ash do,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.