šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lori L

Nice to meet everyone! I have a 7 month old pup. For the first four months she couldn’t digest food. She had diarrhea from almost everything. I had to make her boiled turkey and rice for weeks to get her back on track. I now have her on a cheap limited ingredient grain free food. She poops like six or more times a day. She poops in her crate, and she doesn’t appear to be able to help it. She doesn’t pee in the house, just poop. I am thinking that I need to up the quality of food a bit. She’s eating “Pure Balance” right now. I am not able to afford a real expensive dog food, and I know that I can find one that is reasonable. I just don’t know what to do with this poor dog. I buy her only the special grain free treats, and I’m thinking to eliminate those. I want her to be getting all her nutrients and such or I would feed her the turkey and rice forever. She is about 30 lbs. so it’s not like she eats too much. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#83236 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

How much are you feeding?

#83240 Report Abuse
    Lori L

I follow the advice on the bag and from the vet. About a cup and a half.

#83245 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Lori L-

Which Pure Balance recipe are you feeding? It is a decent food and many posters on this site have reported good things about it. However, it sounds like it may not be right for your dog. Does she have diarrhea, or is she just pooping a lot? Sometimes it is related to the fiber content of the food, being fed too much or it just doesn’t agree with her.

Another possibility is worms and/or parasites. Has she had a fecal test done testing for worms or parasites? They are fairly common in young dogs.

Here is a link to a helpful website for digestive issues: http://www.dogaware.com/health/digestive.html

Been there, done that and it’s not fun!! Report back with updates, please!

#83246 Report Abuse
    Lori L

Thanks!!!! I’m giving her the grain free limited ingredient salmon flavor. Limited ingredient grain free stopped the diarrhea. Now she poops way too much. Maybe I need to add something?

#83248 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have one dog that has a bm (bowel movement) once a day, another that has a bm twice a day, another that has about 4 small bms every day. They are all healthy and fit. They are fed twice a day. All dogs are different, just like people.

She is still a pup, ask your vet about the possibility of going to one feeding per day? It will be easier to predict when she needs to have a bm. Also, it is best to offer dogs a bathroom break to urinate, at least every 4 hours. “Holding it” can lead to bladder stones in dogs that have a genetic predisposition. It may not show up till they are older, often starts with urinary tract infections.

#83251 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Maybe you are over feeding. I use the feeding guidelines as a baf, sometimes ut i usually use the food calculator here, on the review side.

#83253 Report Abuse
    Lori L

Hmmm I feed her only once a day. We asked the vet and verified with a few people. She seems to go so much she can’t hold it. I was thinking I needed to add fiber or something. She is almost eight months and spayed.

#83254 Report Abuse
    Lori L

Also the pee she holds no problem. Just poop is the problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.