🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    metalotaku
    Participant

so my dogs can’t have any food or treats with potatoes in it as i will go into anaphylactic shock when they lick me.

nor can they have food that has a strong fish smell or odor, as i’m super sensitive to smells and the main caregiver. i will get sick just opening the food bin.

my new pup as has an allergy to red food dye.

our last attempt at a dog food was blue bufflo wilderness, water fowl. as one of my dogs is a lab mix and it was suggested, however something in it didn’t sit well with him. he lost the ability to control his bowels. we immediately switched back to the old dog food we has been using first before trying different blue bufflo flavors. which was beniful. and his issues cleared up.

our dogs are currently on beniful which the new pup can’t have because of her allergy, and she is on iams puppy formula for sensitive tummies, as she’s fresh from the pound. which gave her a mix of dog chow and iams. they are a lab basset mix and boston terrier fox terrier mix

other considerations are i’m allergic to nuts. but haven’t seen this in a dog food yet. only been issue in treats.

if anyone has any suggestions for a dog food that meets these needs i’d really appreciate it.

#21262 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

So far Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance and Sojo’s Complete, Nature’s Variety LID, some of the Natural Balance LIDs. I’m sure there’s more. Be back later…

#21266 Report Abuse
    metalotaku
    Participant

looking the natural balance has potatoes even in the grain free lines. 🙁 (potato starch for me is the same as the whole thing) it’s a popular thing to put lots of foods it seems, even people foods. it’s used as a thickener in all manners of soups and gravy mixes.

and i’m not sure about freeze dried foods. i’ve never seen them or know much about them to know if i feel ok with those.

#21267 Report Abuse
    metalotaku
    Participant

i almost forgot. thank you very much for the suggestions and help though. as it’s helping to get to know a few brands i’ve never heard of before.

#21269 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Are you saying all potatoes – white potato and sweet potato/yams? The Grandma Lucy’s you add water and soak and then serve. And about the fish – do you mean fish oil as well? The Brothers Complete Beef and Egg and the Brothers Turkey Allergy doesn’t use potatoe/fish or fish oil but uses algea instead. I and Love and You Nude Food (onlynaturalpet.com and some retailers) chicken formula has a little bit of fish oil in it. The main fat is chicken fat so maybe it wouldn’t smell that much. Back to Basics high protein formulas only have fish oil, no fish meals.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    • This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #21270 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Check the ingredients for Zignature…pretty sure it meets your needs.

#21278 Report Abuse
    metalotaku
    Participant

all. sweet white red. the fish is just a potent smell. are most of those in stores or online only orders?

#21279 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Mark off I and Love and You Nude Food and Brothers Complete Beef and Egg. They have sweet potato. All of the foods you can find online. I’ve seen Back to Basics and Grandma Lucy’s in retailers. Check the store locators at the websites.

#21281 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

You can google for the dog food by name and find the company’s website which almost always has a “where to buy” link at the top and enter your zip code. They also have all the ingredients listed by variety. Each “flavor” varies so read them all. They may say duck but have fish too.

#21291 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Try these food. No potatoes, no dyes. They do contain some type of fish oil, not sure if you’re avoiding the oil too.

/dog-food-reviews/dogswell-nutrisca-dog-food/
    /dog-food-reviews/dogswell-nutrisca-freeze-dried/
    /dog-food-reviews/fresh-is-best-dog-food/
    /dog-food-reviews/natures-variety-freeze-dried/
    /dog-food-reviews/smack-dog-food/
    /dog-food-reviews/vital-essentials-dog-food-freeze-dried/

You can go to this website. There’s a product finder that will let you choose the ingredients you want to avoid. The database is not complete. They only have food that the store carries. It should still be helpful.
    http://www.petfoodexpress.com/products/search/

#21293 Report Abuse
    rinndy
    Participant

You can go to Wag.com, they sell many brands of dog food. If you click on a food you are interested in, you will find thumbnails of the bags, click on the one showing the back of the bag and it will enlarge. Then hover over it and it will zoom in so you can read the ingredient list. You may or may not want to buy from Wag, but they are a great resource for information on many dog foods (and cat foods).

#82390 Report Abuse
    james w

When it comes to dog food, always looks a quality food just like us that we eat fresh and nice food. Same thing for them, you need to find good and fresh brands. See how this guide at http://awesomebook.eatmywords.com/ will help you find the right dog food brands.

#82425 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Arby,

I’m curious, is it correct that are there 39 brands of food represented on your food finder?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.