šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    cms60
    Participant

Short of feeding the all fresh meat diet (with 5 animals that could be pricey), what food do you suggest for a dog who has tested allergic to rice, barley, peas, carrots, flaxseed, alfalfa, soybean, sunflower, and peanuts? All the meats are OK, and oats, wheat, corn, canola, and cotton seed are OK.

For sake of getting a consistent feeding schedule with all my family members helping, I use dry food with table scrap flavorings/moisteners. The crunch seems to keep my dogs’ teeth in pretty good shape. I could go with canned I suppose, but then I need to figure out a way to keep the tartar off of her teeth regularly. Plus also figure out a way to not make the other animals think they are deprived if I give this one something really select.

The allergy symptoms are licking and chewing the fur off of her front paws. No GI symptoms.

Thanks for the help!

#16641 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Can’t think of many foods except Pioneer Naturals Grain Free and Great Life RX LID/Dr.E’s both made by Great Life.

http://www.doctorsfinest.com/Healthy_Chicken_dog_food_p/dr.%20es-gfd.htm

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, Pinnacle Peak.

#16745 Report Abuse
    cms60
    Participant

I’m so impressed! I had searched and couldn’t figure out what to do! There are stores carrying that brand close to me and I will try it! My poor baby has multiple allergies besides the foods, but the vet said the foods are usually the easiest to start eliminating. I might have to get an extract made for pine and grass allergy, but I want to try this first. This year suddenly became a consistent problem to the point she licked a raw spon on one of her paws. (She is 8 years old and has only had seasonal problems before). I tried medications and multiple imaginative ideas to protect the spot, but finally had to resort to the silly collar that doesn’t allow her to chew her feet at least until the one paw gets well.

Thanks so much for this great site, and the advice!

#16783 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can try a small amount like a teaspoon of local raw honey daily, and/or stinging nettles with quercetin, and a supplement for the immune system, an allergy herbal, coconut oil, and even omega 3 oil (fish oil, krill, sardine, other fish) to help with environmental allergies.

#18160 Report Abuse
    angels6121
    Participant

I am having a hard time finding a food that my Maltese can eat. He is allergic to chicken, potatoes, peas, barley, and milk. I was feeding him California Natural Lamb and Rice until the recall. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#18161 Report Abuse
    angels6121
    Participant

He is also allergic to tapioca, and White potatoes, not sweet potatoes.

#18169 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

angels,

What about Stella & Chewy’s? Excellent food. They make raw dehydrated medallions that are meat & bone based, with organic fruits, veggies, seeds and do not contain any of those ingredients you listed. In fact they don’t include any starches or grains period. This is great brand and dogs seem to really love the stuff. With a maltese it would be pretty affordable to feed, vs a medium or large breed dog. They’re easy to feed too, can be fed either with water or dry, shredded/broken into quarters/whole. Try the DuckDuckGoose — has duck, turkey, goose. No chicken.

Also, I highly recommend Timberwolf, have fed it for years. The Platinum Ocean Blue (fish based) has sweet potatoes (which you said are fine), but no peas, white potatoes, or grains. It has sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans (chickpeas). It’s nutrient dense, very high calorie; so you would be feeding very little especially to a tiny dog. I’d recommend introducing this food slowly over 1-2 weeks to ensure tolerance, as it is very rich and contains ingredients not commonly found in other foods and all at once.

Aside from these, rather than trying a whole bunch of commercial foods, I’d try first pinpointing what your dog CAN handle by feeding ONE protein and ONE carb. And I’d try to make sure that something is an actual allergy vs an intolerance or upset, since they are different. I’d try boiled turkey or cottage cheese and sweet potato OR oats (since you know your dog is okay with either). (By the way, many dogs are intolerant of lactose & milk, but fine with yogurt or cottage cheese.)

#18170 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Angels6121,

Look up these foods or brands and look through their different varieties:

Canine Caviar GF
    EVO cans
    Fresh is Best dehydrated
    Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance freeze dried
    Great Life GF
    Honest Kitchen Zeal dehydrated
    Hound and Gatos canned
    Merrick 96% canned
    Natural Balance LID dry
    Nature’s Logic canned and dry
    Only Natural Pet Easy Raw and MaxxMeat dehydrated
    Pioneer Naturals GF
    Sojo’s Complete dehydrated
    Smack dehydrated
    Tuscan Natural Simply Pure dry
    Weruva Marbella Paella
    Wellness Simple canned
    Wellness cans – duck, turkey, venison, whitefish

#18172 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Edit: I mixed up one thing from cms60 vs angels.

Sorry, angels! Make that white rice, not oats as above.

#18192 Report Abuse
    angels6121
    Participant

Thanks all. I had my guy tested and he definately is allergic to milk. I forgot to mention that along with the chicken, he is also allergic to turkey.

#18211 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Sorry to hear about the turkey and dairy. Well, at least you know lamb and rice are for sure okay, as these are pretty commonly available in commercial dog foods. Ditto the sweet potatoes.

What about fish? It can be an excellent protein source with the added benefit of Omega 3 brain food and great for skin/coat. Beef? Elk/venison? Bison? Duck? Pork?

What are you feeding right now (since stopping the Cal Natural Lamb & Rice)?

#18212 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Here are the ingredients for the Timberwolf Ocean Blue Platinum I recommended:

1st 5 Ingredients: Herring, Salmon, Dried Salmon, Chickpeas, Ocean Fish

*Fish are wild caught Alaskan, no Ethoxyquin.
    **Food is low temperature steam/pressure cooked at 200-225 Degrees, max 10-15 minutes.

Herring, Salmon, Spray Dried Salmon, Chick Peas, Ocean Fish, Spray Dried Whiteļ¬sh, Sweet Potatoes, Olive Oil, Salmon Oil, Dried Organic Kelp, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Herring Oil, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Thyme, Anise Seed, Fenugreek, Garlic, Ginger, Mango, Blueberries, Cranberries, Whole Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Minerals: [Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins: [Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin (A Source Of Vitamin B3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboļ¬‚avin (A Source Of Vitamin B2), Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (A Source Of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (A Source Of Vitamin B1), Biotin (A Source Of Vitamin B7), Citric Acid (A Source Of Vitamin C), Mixed Tocopherols (A Source Of Vitamin E and A Natural Preservative)], Prebiotics: [Chicory Root (Inulin)], Probiotics: [Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product], Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Beta-Carotene, Fructooligosaccharides, Taurine, L-Carnitine, DL-Methionine, Lemon Juice, Rosemary Extract (A Natural Preservative).

#18213 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Ocean Blue Classic version *might* be okay too. I’d ask — because I know in the past, the “potatoes” the owner has used he stated are sweet potatoes, not white potatoes. It’s easiest to reach them via online chat (pops up on their website).

Classic is their lower priced, more moderate protein line, which may or may not by formula include grains. Here are the Classic version ingredients:

1st 5 ingredients: White Fish Meal, Herring, Salmon Meal, Salmon Oil, Blueberries

*Fish is wild caught Alaskan, no Ethoxyquin. Salmon oil is from wild caught Alaskan also.

White Fish Meal, Herring, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Figs, Basil, Dill, Anise Seed, Caraway Seed, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Marigold Flowers, Sesame Seeds, Almonds, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract

As you can see, there are no grains in this lower priced formula either. I’d inquire whether the potatoes are white or sweet potatoes.

#18214 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

It looks like the Classic version of the Elk would be okay for you also, none of known allergens listed for it:

1st 5 Ingredients: Elk, Salmon Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Salmon Oil

Elk, Salmon Meal, Oats, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Salmon Oil, Dried Kelp, Alfalfa, Pears, Blueberries, Strawberries, Figs, Sage, Rosemary, Summer Savory, Cinnamon, Flax Seed, Carrots, Celery, Beets, Watercress, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract

#18225 Report Abuse
    angels6121
    Participant

Thank you GSD, I will check out your suggestions tomorrow at a holistic pet store. I looked at everything on the shelves of two different stores and found nothing that he could eat. Some of the employees are telling me that chicken fat is okay because it isn’t the meat, I don’t know if that is true. I don’t want to give him something that is going to give him problems.

#18236 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Hi angels. Good luck — I’m so sorry you’re having a tough time of it!

The Timberwolf Organics you may only be able to order online directly from Timberwolf, depending on where you live. But the good news is that it’s also cheaper that way and no tax either.

In stores, from pugsmom’s helpful list, you’ll probably be able to find the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (the lamb very similar to your old formula), Honest Kitchen, Wellness or EVO or Merrick cans . . . maybe the Canine Caviar or Nature’s Logic (I see those in fewer places). Stella&Chewy’s will probably be easy to find and is an excellent (albeit pricey) brand, if you can find a formula without chicken or turkey or peas, the other ingredients aren’t ever in the foods.

Those Great Life grain-free formulas, which I’ve never seen in stores & would probably also have to be ordered online, also look good — just way less meat (I think) compared to Timberwolf. Some very unusual ingredients! (I don’t think my dog has ever eaten “green lipped mussel,” lol, and he’s eaten a lot of stuff!)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.