Lawn chemicals and allergic reaction? Could it be?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Lawn chemicals and allergic reaction? Could it be?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

I’ve written several comments here about my dog’s paws being red and irritated. She had a terrible case of infected paws back during the winter and they are finally healing all nicely and BAM they broke out again out of the blue. They were still kind of pink so still quite sensitive. I assumed the outbreak was caused from a change in food which did not occur until two weeks on the food. I took her off the food I’d tried and back on one that was doing pretty good though not perfect at all but her paws were not inflamed anymore and she did not scratch at them.

So I started thinking after they began to heal all up again and then BAM they break out again. This time there was no change in her food! Each time they’ve broke out, she had been over at our neighbors visiting for a few minutes in their grass the day before and they use that TruGreen stuff each summer. Could standing in that grass a few minutes(10 or 15) be enough to cause her paws to get all red and get pustules on them? It’s supposed to be safe for pets after it dries.

I’m just trying my best to come up with some logical explanation for the sudden irritation. Yes a change of food could have caused it the first time but then it happened again for no apparent reason. I had noticed that after we went on our walks around the neighborhood, that her paws were a bit irritated so I began to rinse them off when we got home and after that is when they really began to heal up nicely and the hair was growing back in finally. Then the sudden inflammation happened.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by somebodysme.
    #23807 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Oh yes!!! It is “generally” safe for pets, whatever that means. Many pets are more sensitive to chemicals than that though.

#23811 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Patty, you don’t think it’s just wishful thinking to connect the two outbreaks with standing and sitting in their grass? Her feet and her privates were itching and she was sitting on the grass so her privates would have been touching the grass/chemicals. We do not use any chemicals at all…yes our grass look just heck but…whatever…HAHA! At least I keep it mowed. 🙂

#23813 Report Abuse
    Colorado huntress
    Participant

Yes, standing in that grass for 10-15 mins where they use Turf Green could definitely be causing these flare-ups! You might think about not bringing her over there, especially when she has open sores. If you do bring her over there, what about using dog booties? I would also suggest rinsing her feet off ASAP after she’s been on ANY grass that might contain chemicals…

#23815 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

She does have some booties. I will definitely be washing her feet if we visit again…oh and her private area too! GAH! The company is called “TruGreen” if that makes any difference. According to the man that came here to try and sell us, it’s supposed to be “perfectly safe and that’s why it’s called TruGreen because it’s safe for animals and humans”. So is that why they put out the warning after they get through spraying?…because it’s SOOOO SAFE? HA!

#23816 Report Abuse
    Colorado huntress
    Participant

No comment, lol 🙂

#23820 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It may be wishful thinking but I certainly wouldn’t rule it out, especially since the problems are in damp areas of her body.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.