šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vanessa D

Hi there — I just joined today. My large breed puppy (a Chinook) is doing well on Fromm, but he poops 6-8 times per day, which seems like a lot compared to our other dogs who poop 1-2 times per day. Our vet suggested switching to a different brand of food that he would need to eat less of to feel satisfied. Anyone else grappled with this sort of shift? And is it true in your experience that different types of food lead to lower amounts of poop? He’s doing great with housetraining, but it’s gotta be tough on the guy to need to go that many times a day! Thanks.

#91645 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Vanessa D-

Yes, it could be true that different types of food affect how much your dog poops. Also, you may be feeding too much. Are you feeding a large breed puppy recipe to him? How old is your puppy? How often are you feeding him? The younger they are, they usually do need to go more often. Puppies are a lot of work!!!! But, so cute, thank goodness!

#91646 Report Abuse
    Vanessa D

He’s almost 7 months and almost 70lbs. He soulful get to about 85 when he’s done growing. He eats between 6 and 10 cups per day. Some days it seems he’s going through an insane growth spurt! On those days he just eats and eats.

#91647 Report Abuse
    Vanessa D

Soulful = should!

#91648 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Vanessa-

Have you seen and read this artlice on the review side of this site?

/best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

It has extremely important information on feeding a large breed puppy. It’s best to feed them an appropriate large breed puppy food until they are about a year old, limit exercise and make sure to keep them lean.

They do eat a lot when they are growing, don’t they? I have two 85ish pound dogs and they also liked to eat socks, gloves, rocks and anything else they could get in their mouths at that age. They eat much less these days, but I still have to keep an eye on them when it comes to the other stuff and they are five years old.

Is the formula you are feeding high in fiber? At 7 months, I would think that he should start slowing down on the amount of times he has to go #2.

#91682 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

My American Staffordshire Terriers are part Chinook, we did a DNA test, they have the black around the eyes & snout!

You’re doing fine, puppies eat a lot, withholding type or quantity in food is a myth. You wouldn’t control a human baby on how many times he/she should poop into their diaper, you know?

Caution is for large breed pups that are prone to hip dysplasia and cruciate tears (like my dogs). They had eating and growth spurts until after 3 yrs of age, stopping at 77 lbs each. I don’t free feed or force them to eat more or less. As long as the poops are healthy and there are no food intolerances, you can start rotating different kibble to introduce new protein. Follow the Bristol stool scale.

I fed Orijen puppy food and now they thrive on Zignature dog food.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.