Lamb liver

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Margie R

The raw diet primal lists lamb liver as its second ingredient. My vet was horrified. Any comments?

#81188 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Why was your vet horrified? Raw fed dogs need organs. Unless your vet is a holistic vet or nutritionist, he/she doesn’t know much about nutrition. They get very little nutrition education in veterinary school.

#81194 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Margie,

Liver fed in excess can lead to toxicity of some nutrients. You can’t know from the ingredient list how much liver is present which could be why your vet is concerned. Ask the company for a full nutrient analysis of the food and then have your vet look at it to see if it is appropriate for your dog.

#81207 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Aimee-
    If a company claims that its food has met the AAFCO guidelines, shouldn’t that mean that the liver levels would not lead to toxicity?

#81230 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi crazy4cats,

I’d agree that if the diet is formulated to meet AAFCO then levels shouldn’t be toxic. Primal makes products that are formulated to meet and others that are for supplemental feeding.

Excessive nutrients was the only reason I could think of as to why the OP vet was “horrified”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.