Is duck too similar to chicken?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Is duck too similar to chicken?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

I don’t think Boone can have raw chicken; he hasn’t had any ear issues in years but in the past few months, he’s had two. For kibble, he did best on turkey or fish. For THK, he ate Embark & Zeal (turkey and fish). When he ate half Darwin’s, it was turkey, beef and duck. I think we had much less duck. On Hare, it’s beef, duck, chicken & turkey.
    Ear issues back. He’s had more duck and chicken lately; is duck that closely related to chicken? I’d really like to have him never have another ear infection.

#18824 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The best way to find out is to cut it and the chicken out altogether until you are seeing no signs and then feed him duck a few days in a row, watching for any signs. As far as allergies go, duck and chicken are very different, but he could be reactive to both.

#18835 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Patty,
    Checked my supply and lucky me, I have very little chicken or duck left, mostly turkey and beef. Guess I’ll have to wait to figure it out! I hate seeing him with ear infections again, been so long without one.

#18836 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Some of the hard core raw feeders in my group avoid chicken during the summer months. They say it really helps with allergies/itchiness. They will feed duck instead as it is suppose to be a cooling meat. Although some sources say it is neutral or damp, I’m not knowledgeable on the Chinese theory of warm/neutral/cool meats). Not sure if this will help with the ear infections.

#18843 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hey Sandy! That’s interesting. Is turkey a cooling meat?

#19062 Report Abuse
    beaglemom

Hey Marie,
    I found these websites provide a decent explanation of the warm/cool/hot meats, etc… not sure how much I believe all this but I first started looking into it after noticing that Primal actually puts a symbol on the back of their bags to note what’s hot, warm, cool, or neutral. http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/yinyanbalance.htm and http://www.scottsdaleacupuncture.com/food.htm. Turkey seems to hop between “warming” or “neutral” depending on where you look… duck and rabbit seem to be most consistently listed as “cooling”. Venison and lamb are most often the hottest.

#19063 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thank you, Beaglemom!

#19076 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Have you seen one with goat listed anywhere?

#19082 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Marie,

Still using THK? I just saw that Sosjo’s Cat is lower in fiber (4.5%) and has more protein (30%) than their dog food.

#19152 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Yes, still using THK. I always will. Right now just using it for Gemma. I just Re-started Darwin’s, will get here on Thursday. My hope is that Gemma can eat it and not get bound up. I ordered less chicken since Boone won’t be eating it.

#19160 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Patty,

I’ve only seen goat milk listed as warm, but not goat meat on any list.

#19174 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’m guessing that it would be similar to lamb/mutton and would be warm so I shouldn’t be feeding quite so much of it to my warm dog, but I have a freezer full of it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.