šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tania D
    Participant

Hello! The rescue dog I want to adopt has been using the Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food. I have been searching and searching for an alternative. Is there anything other than the Hydrolyzed Soy that makes it special for this type of diet? I am waiting for a call back from the Rescue to explain a little more as to what brought him to this point. (whether it was skin / fur related or digestive) That will help me decide if he needs a strictly SOY PROTEIN diet ā€“ or if the other brand Iā€™ve found (the WholeHearted Grain Free ā€“ thanks to this site!) would work as well. If it strictly a SOY ONLY diet ā€“ what are my options as to making my own food? Is there a Hydrolyzed Soy Protein I can buy? Any ideas are much appreciated! Looking to cut down the cost of the prescription food and feed him more naturally. Thank You!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #153078 Report Abuse
    anonymous

First of all the folks at the shelter are not veterinary healthcare professionals. I would ask to speak to the vet that examined the dog and prescribed the therapeutic diet. Your request will probably be denied.

I would then request to take the dog to a vet of my choosing for an examination (you pay). The diet you mentioned is probably a food trial to rule out sensitivities so I would suspect that the dog may be suffering from allergies.

If this is the case the dog will need to be under the care of a veterinary dermatologist for the rest of it’s life.
    There is no cure for allergies but there is effective treatment.

And, NO, there is no substitute for prescription dog food, the one you mentioned goes through a special process so that the dog will not respond to any of the ingredients. Hence, the price.

All commercial dog food is subject to cross contamination. If you think the cost of the dog food is too much I would not adopt this dog. Allergies usually require lifelong treatment, they have flareups so it can be expensive.

BTW: There are no veterinary healthcare professionals affiliated with this site. Some of the regulars give dangerous advice involving raw diets and such.

Good luck

#153079 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/hydrolyzed-diet/

#153197 Report Abuse
    m3ntat
    Participant

Hydrolyzed veterinary diets are prescribed for a variety of health conditions in dogs, formed in the last few years when novel protein diet was not “hypoallergenic” enough for affected dogs. The protein is hydrolyzed, a process of “predigestion” or breakdown that decreases immune-mediated response to absorption of protein’s peptides. Royal Canin’s hydrolyzed diets can be a formula combined with a renal friendly diet, or urinary diet formula, so multiple disease processes are managed with a single prescribed diet. Hydrolyzed protein diets have additional B vitamins and essential fatty acids, especially omega 3’s incl EPA and DHA, to promote healthy cell division and decrease inflammation, a proponent of skin health; but these are not in excess, as excessive B vitamins and fatty acids can cause toxicity symptoms, more common in homemade diets or over-supplementing diet. Some dogs with specific cancer, autoimmune disease, lymphangectasia (inflammatory disease of the lymphatic tissue surrounding GI tract), skin/ear/feet/anal gland allergy are prescribed Hydrolyzed protein diets. Ask if the dog has done well specifically due to its current prescribed diet, or if it is still in a diet trial phase (first 8 weeks on the new diet) so effect is still unknown. Inquire as to other effective or ineffective treatment the dog has tried. Often, hydrolyzed protein diet is utilized after acute symptoms have been treated and controlled with initial glucocorticoids, antibiotics, probiotics, antiemetics etc. A diet is challenged after 8 week trial by single introduction of a whole food ingredient to determine catalysts of symptoms/disease only if the dog is deemed healthy enough to trial and error diet triggers, with emergency treatments on hand if a response is triggered. Most derm vets start with a few grams of apple or carrot, then rice or oatmeal, then a lean meat-derived protein source, one ingredient per week added until note a reaction or immune-mediated response signifying sensitivity or allergy. Many owners elect to maintain status quo and never challenge the diet, as the journey leading up to the hydrolyzed protein diet was difficult and taxing to them and their pet.

#153242 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

The only case where a dog should be permanently on a soy based food is if they have EXTREME allergies to every other protein. Which is incredibly rare and will probably be a life long struggle for u and him if that is the case. Diets like the one heā€™s on are usually given for elimination diets to narrow down ingredients the dog is sensitive to. Iā€™ve have seen ppl who feed chicken based diets and the dogs are horribly allergic to chicken but when switched to a fresh or raw food diet they donā€™t have the reaction anymore. If youā€™re interested in adopting the dog I would see if the rescue (or your vet) can refer u to a vet nutritionalist whom can make u up a proper balanced diet using fresh foods that wouldnā€™t flare up his allergies.

#163912 Report Abuse
    Astra F
    Participant

We just had our Miniature Schnauzer tested for food sensitivities as we needed to find the cause of her atopic dermatitis.
    I strongly recommend getting blood test done although pricey about $280 (NY) it will pinpoint some of the key triggers.
    Low and behold Lola is pretty much allergic to everything, with beet pulp being the highest allergen. Vet reccomended Royal Canin Hydrolyzed dog food. I checked the ingredients and saw that Beet Pulp is one of the main proteins. I contacted RC and found out that the Beet Pulp is NOT Hydrolyzed and they recommended Royal Canin Ultamino. My vet apologized as he was not aware of that the beet pulp was not hydrolyzed. We are going to try the Ultamino this week. My Rottweiler’s had all types of skin issues and was always sick on the best kibble I could buy and eventually put on a “raw diet” and was never sick. The healthiest he could be.

I too wish there was an alternative to Hydrolyzed Prescription dog food as I would prefer to prepare the food myself but I have to try the Ultamino first as that seems to be the only option for her.
    Below are her Lab Results sharing for those who are in similar situations with their dogs. I will keep all posted how she does.

Mites & Mold IGE Detected
    Beet Pulp F409 2557
    Liver, Beef F252 1636
    Kangaroo F410 1602
    Flaxseed Ground H2 1293
    Milk F293 708
    Beef F241 329
    Lamb F251 192
    Chicken F265 186
    Venison F264 185
    Fish Mix F01 144
    Barley F56 138
    Duck F266 135
    Turkey F346 133
    Eggs F271 121
    Soybean F209 121
    Oats F154 117
    Pork F258 116
    Pinto Beans F61 115
    Rabbit F259 111
    Corn F102 100
    Rice F200 98
    Wheat F235 96
    Brewers Yeast M67 Neg
    White Potato F191 Neg

#163978 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Aastra,

The only way to diagnose food hypersensitivity is by a food elimination trial. I think Ultamino is a good choice to use for a elimination trial. You can read about food allergies and doing food trial here https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951526

Be aware of anything that crosses your dog’s lips. Sources of food triggers that you my not think of could include capsules from medications, sources from scavenging outside, stool consumption from cat boxes or other dogs in the house etc.

Doing an elimination trial correctly is challenging. Good Luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.