🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

We are looking around for ActiFlex 4000 for our dogs right now. It’s the only economical joint supplement that we can find so far… At $30-40 for 32oz (aka 64tbsp or 192tsp), I figured it’s better than $20 for a 15-20 day supply.

Anyway, how many mg of glucosamine should Cassy get? She’s a 12y.o. Labrador/GSD, weighing about 65lb.

Here’s the supplemental values of an ounce (2tbsp) of Actiflex:
    Glucosamine Sulfate 8,000 mg.
    Chondroitin Sulfate 4,000 mg.
    Type II Collagen 3,000 mg.
    MSM 3,000 mg.
    Ester C (Ascorbic Acid) 1,000 mg.
    Yucca 150 mg.
    Hyaluronic Acid (HA) 125 mg.

One tsp has about 1,333mg glucosamine, so half as much chondroitin, etc. I think I’ve read somewhere that the suggested dosage for a dog her size would be 1/2tsp (1tsp for first week)… That’d be about 666mg glucosamine. Is that a good amount for her, or could she handle more?

There /is/ glucosamine/chondroitin in her food, but she gets barely 100mg of g and 15-20 of c, so it doesn’t do anything for her.

Thanks for the help! I’m really not looking for suggestions about a better supplement out there, because this is the only thing so far that will work with my wallet, as I’m an unemployed teenager who pays for all of Cassy’s extra supplements. I’m just wondering about proper dosage and what the max amount of glucosamine a senior 65lb pooch can get.

#33004 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You could continue the 1 teaspoon if you needed to, but after the loading dose, you really may not need to. And you can do the loading dose for 10 days instead of 7 if you are still seeing improvement at the 7 day mark.

#33013 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Thanks, Patty. Right now, she’s already on a basic joint supplement (I forgot to mention that)… It actually has 650mg G, maybe 200mg C. in it, but I think she needs some more, so I may keep her on a full tsp daily.

#33017 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You may find with the other ingredients that you can get by with less. My experience is with horses, but MSM made everything more effective and HA did more for my horse than any other supplement.

#33031 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Alright, thank you. I will just have to experiment with her 🙂 I think her current supplement has MSN, maybe one other thing…but I really can’t remember.

#33057 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Patty,
    I have a 14 year old Maltese. She has two degenerated discs mid spine and has begun to have back legs tremble. Sometimes both at the same time, some times only one at a time. Never both at the same time and it doesn’t happen all the time either. The vet said it’s something called white dog syndrome. I’ve done tons of research on line and it does not appear to me that that’s what she is suffering from. White dog syndrome makes the entire body tremble. Anyway, she doesn’t appear to be in the least bit of pain. Vet gave me a prescription for Rimadyl but that didn’t make any difference in her whatsoever. So, I’m hoping you can give me some guidance. She’s been on Glucosamine Chondritin for a few years (degenerative discs). Is there a particular brand you have tried that seems to have better results. I know all dogs as with humans respond differently to supplements but the vet has her taking Dasaquin with MSM. I’ve got a feeling it’s probably the one that all vets prescribe, kinda like a Hills Diet deal. Also, how much should be be taking daily. She weighs 8 lbs. My girls are all on Primal Pronto diet with fresh veggies and fruits. I’m trying desperately to do everything I can for her and have her live a longer healthier life. She saved my life when my son passed away 7 years ago so I need to do for her what she has done for me. Thank you!

#33059 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi dchassett

I don’t know how much help I’ll be, but I’ll try. I believe the leg trembling could be because she is losing muscle mass in her rear legs. I’ve seen that in dogs with spinal arthritis and degenerative disc disease. As they lose muscle, their remaining muscle fatigues faster. I think there is probably not much you can do about it, except to make sure that she gets regular walks and consistant gentle exercise. As far as the joint supplement, Dasuquin is the one vets recommend because it’s made by the makers of Cosequin, and cosequin actually has some research behind them. I have always had the best results with supplements containing MSM and HA. I have many times bought MSM seperately because I wanted to try a supplement that didn’t have it. The one that I have had the absolute best results with was called Joint Armor.

#33060 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi dchassett,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your son. I cannot imagine how painful it must be to lose a child.

Peace & Blessings,
    Betsy

#33067 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Betsy. My name is Dori. I wanted to thank you for your kind words.

#33068 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Patty. Thanks for the advice. When whether permits I’ll start taking her for short slow walk around the neighborhood. She’s light enough that if she tires I can carry her home. No one had explained to me that it might be atrophy of her leg muscles which I suppose would start at her age anyway. She had become quite lazy in the last year or so but since starting her on raw foods and rotating brands and proteins she has gotten back a lot of her old spunk. I will also look for Joint Armor. Hadn’t heard of it.
    Thanks, Dori

#33086 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Patty. The only Joint Armor I’ve been able to find on line says it’s for horses. Is there one specifically for dogs or is this the one you mean? Sorry to keep bugging you.

#33094 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s the one. I use my horse joint supplements on my dogs too. My horse didn’t like the taste of that one though. Your dogs would use just the littlest pinch of it. I also use Cortaflex, also a horse supplement.

#33096 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori, I can’t answer your questions but I wanted to say I’m sorry about your son. We’re a bunch of strangers but we’re here for you.

#33104 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie. Thank you for your kind words. Dog lovers are never really strangers, are we?

#79568 Report Abuse
    corgwnmom

Actually, ActiFlex 4000 sounds like a really good one. I like that it has Glucosamine SULFATE vs. HCI. Did you end up using this product and what are your thoughts on it? I have a corgi so I would image he would need about 1/2tsp for the first week and then 1/4tsp following. He tore his ACL and will be having surgery this week so I am looking for joint supplements other than the Dasuquin given by the vet.

Any advice is appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.