How long should kibbles last??

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients How long should kibbles last??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Susan
    Participant

I’ve noticed that Prescription vet diets kibbles & wet have long use by date 13months & more..I think thats too long, Some Holistic kibbles dont have as long for their use by dates, I thought maybe cause they dont have preservatives, does anyone know how long should a kibble last & still be fresh & healthy??

#35291 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

How long it lasts in an air tight container and how long it lasts once opened are 2 different things. Even with natural preservatives, sealed bags should last more than a year. Once you open that bag, you want to use it up pretty quickly. Hound Dog Mom has said she wants a kibble used up in less than 2 1/2 weeks after opening because of the rate at which fats oxidize once exposed to air. Over the winter, I don’t mind a bag lasting a bit longer since it is cool and low humidity and I leave food in the original bag with all the air squeezed out and the top rolled down and clipped closed. But over the summer, I use up a bag as quickly as possible.

#35301 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I generally try to finish an open bag by 3 months. Kibble can have an 18 month shelf life.

#35325 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I see, I didnt realise that after opening a bag of kibble the fats starts to oxidize from the air, I normally buy the 12-13kilo bag of kibble as it gets cheaper, I fill 2 containers for the kitchen 1 container holds 12 cups of kibble the other air tight container holds 40 cups kibble then I seal the bag & put in one of those real big plastic air tight containers, u find in junk shops & keep in a cool A/C room. ..I just thought the use by date said say Jan 2015 so I can take my time with that kibble, I have to buy a new bag today & I mite get the 3 kilo bag instead of the 7 kilo bag if it is fresher. It will take me 15 days to use a 3kilo bag as there’s 12 cups to a kilo, Thanx

#35329 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Our food is stored outside in the wood shed, we keep it in an air-tight container. Usually we use up a 40lb bag in 3-4wks. I’d definitely agree – in warmer weather, it should get used up sooner. I’m on the Oregon coast, so it stays 40-60* most of the year, and the wood shed will keep the food an extra 10* cooler usually.

#35337 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Yes, I just drove 15mins to a Pet Barn that has Air Con this morning as the Pet Barn just up the rd from my place is a big hot tin warehouse & it gets so hot there, I often think about all the dog & cat food in the heat, they even leave pallets of kibble in the sun all day that wouldn’t be good, It says on some bags must be store under 26 degrees..I never was a stress head about my dogs food until I adopted a sick dog with tummy issues…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.