🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sam D

We have a puppy where we want to give him a varied diet. High quality puppy kibble one some days and raw food (like honest kitchen, Aunt Jeni’s and Instincts frozen raw) on other days. So far he’s only had Taste of the Wild grain-free puppy.

If raw and kibble digest in the gut differently….then how can you really mix the two types of foods for a proper transition? We were just going to start him on Instinct Raw frozen chunks in his Honest Kitchen base mix but we’re worried he will not handle it well and then we won’t know if its the sudden change OR the food itself that’s bothering him.

Advice? Tips? THANKS!

#63678 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Read here.
    /forums/topic/kibble-may-digest-faster-than-raw/
    Most raw feeders here do mix raw and kibble with no issues. I personally think the tummy troubles from mixing that some claim to experience are rare or an old wive’s tale.

#63683 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

Can you mix commercial with that base mix? Wouldn’t that be too much calcium? I was under the impression that THK bases were to be mixed with boneless but maybe I am wrong….

Or do you mean mixing regular (not base mix) THK with frozen raw?

#63684 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

If the commercial raw is balanced then you shouldn’t need base mix.

#63686 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No Jennifer, you’re not wrong. THK base mixes are supposed to be added to boneless meat.

#63917 Report Abuse
    Sam D

OK – good to know! Thank you!

#63918 Report Abuse
    Sam D

I have the HK base mix and the HK turkey formula.

#63922 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Sam D-
    I mix the Nature’s Variety frozen raw medallions with my dogs’ kibble a couple times a week with no issue. In fact, there “output” is generally better when I add in the raw rather than canned. Also, I believe that all of the Nature’s Variety raw products are already complete and balanced and would not need to be mixed with the HK base mix. I think that a few of the other brands of commercial raw such as Primal offer some raw that is not balanced and could be mixed with the base mix.

Have fun with that lucky puppy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.