Help: Raw Food Help. What am I missing?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Help: Raw Food Help. What am I missing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Angie
    Participant

Hi Guys!

I looking for advice from some of you avid raw feeders. I have been feeding Big Country Raw dinners to my two pups for the last 4 months. I have a Samoyed that’s just under 2 years old and a Shih Poo who is almost 8. The samoyed is 65lbs and the Shih Poo is 16 lbs.

My Samoyed had Coccidia and Giardia as a puppy and he has been treated for it a few times and since then his digestive system haven’t been the same so we tried raw for him and it was almost a miracle. He has small solid poops to where I don’t have to bathe his butt every morning before work.

Anyways the main reason for this post is that.. is there anything I need to add to their diets? They are getting a rotation diet of Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Breeder Blend, and Fish Dinner. Is there a supplement I need to add since they will most likely been on this diet for a while. I do give them chicken and Turkey Necks once a week and Bones to chew + Brush their teeth a few times a week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Angie

http://www.bigcountryrawstore.com/Dinners-s/1818.htm

#54810 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Personally, I would feel better if you were also using raw from another company or two. With this company, all their recipes have apples, carrots, pears, kale, etc. That means that every day your dog gets the exact same fruits and veggies and never any others. I also don’t think that they use enough variety of organs. Every formula should have 5% liver and 5% some other secreting organ. Some of the formulas only have liver, some have heart, which doesn’t even count as an organ, some have kidney and spleen. I noticed that the chicken formula used beef liver, what’s with that? On the whole, I liked their recipe, and I would try it with my dogs, but I would rather see one formula have one set of fruits and veggies and another formula have another set of fruits and veggies.

#54846 Report Abuse
    Angie
    Participant

Thank you the BCnut,

I will look into another or two raw food suppliers or get a premade and mix in my own.

Should I get some liver and kidney to add to the mixture of Big Country Raw? Also is there any vitamins I need to give?

I do give a tripe blend they have sometimes.

Thank you so much,
    Angie

#54847 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you get another commercial raw and a premix or 2 to rotate between, the only thing I would want to make sure of is tripe at least once a week or a multistrain probiotic and the omegas. If you are feeding twice a day, one meal of oily fish is enough Omega 3s. Their fish was only part oily fish, so may not be enough. If you are adding a fish or krill oil supplement, then you want 100mg of DHA and EPA combined for every 10 lbs of body weight daily. Skip flaxseed oil, it has the wrong form of omegas for dogs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.