HELP! Raw diet confusion!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food HELP! Raw diet confusion!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

shandi h

So I have been looking into this raw diet stuff for about a week now. I watched “Pet Fooled” on netflix and I will admit it really woke me up to what is going on with pet food. Recently I lost my service dog that was an american bull dog. I lost her to Osteosarcoma. It was the hardest day of my life. It’s been a while and I am still not healed from that but we have decided to get a new dog. We have found a wonderful newfoundland pup who is coming to our home Thursday!!! I have been trying to do this research on my own but I’ll admit it’s so over whelming I can’t handle it! We have another dog but let me say this other dog is part goat, she has to be because she can eat ANYTHING. This new dog however I want to make sure is started off right while I correct the other dog’s diet to what is right!

So, I can’t understand the raw diet. There are no set ideas. No blueprints to go through. Is there a dehydrated diet I could use? That tends to be a bit cheaper for now. ALso, the vet said canned isn’t as bad should I try that? Also, I’m still going to give him the yogurt, eggs, liver, chicken broth and supplements. That’s easy for me but its everythign else that is confusing. HELP. He will be 10 weeks old on Thursday and around 28 pounds. How do I start this? Is there a site that has a set menu or grocery shopping list I can go by? I’m so very new to this. I don’t understand all the terminology yet. I want to do this right. Please help! He will be on NuVet as well as Mega C plus. I need to know exact portions like 1 cup of this, 2 tbs of this, 2 eggs, 1 tsp of coconut oil… yadda yadda. I can follow those!

#101220 Report Abuse

anon101

Hope this helps http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=raw
    And http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=nuvet
    And http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=coconut
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/
    And
    https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/choosing-the-right-diet-for-your-pet/
    I would listen to your vet.
    I lost a dog to cancer too, genetics have a lot to do with it.
    Zignature is a quality dog food (imo)

#101221 Report Abuse

shandi h

these sites just seem to down raw diet and say it’s no different or better than commercial foods. One even said “by products” aren’t that big of a deal. lol so thanks for the info but I’ve made my decision to stray away from kibble for the most part as I do believe it is unhealthy for the pups. I may not be able to afford straight out feeding him whole chickens but I can try to do canned or dehydrated and fresh veggies for him. 🙂

#101222 Report Abuse

anon101

Well, homeopathic views differ greatly from science based medicine. So, don’t expect your veterinarian to support your decisions. Most will tell you that they don’t think raw food is worth the risk of gastrointestinal obstructions and broken teeth (bones)
    You can use the search engine here to find more information. Good luck.

#101223 Report Abuse

anon101

Ps: “Pet Fooled” is propaganda from the raw feeding community and the homeopathic vets.
    I only watched the trailer and had no interest in viewing the documentary.

#101304 Report Abuse

pitlove

Hi Shandi-

If you are going to be a raw feeder, you can’t be opposed to by-products. Organ meats are by-products and are a key point of a raw diet.

I would recommend paying for a consultation on BalanceIt.com with one of their veterinary nutritionists since you have not only a puppy, but a large/giant breed puppy coming. I have seen a lot of raw fed large breed puppies with nutrient defeciences because the owners decided to “wing it” and not consult a nutritionist during the critical growth period of the dog. Large breed puppies have extremely strict dietary requirements to help reduce their risk of orthopedic problems during growth and later in life. Think hip dysplasia. If you want to do raw, do it right. Your pup will thank you.

#101499 Report Abuse

Susan

Hi Shandi, your on the right track but on the wrong site, most people on DFA feed kibble… In Australia most people feed raw diet or raw + premium kibble/freeze dried….
    google ” Maggie the oldest dog in the World” watch Rodney Habib’s video interviewing Maggie’s owner & what he feed Maggie for 30yrs, he didn’t over vaccinate, or desex her till she was 14yrs old, she worked & lived on a family run Dairy Farm…excellent video..
    Go on Face Book follow people like
    “Rodney Habib” Planet Paws
    “Peter Dobias” Natural Healing for Dogs,
    “Dr Karen Becker”

Good Books to get & read..
    Dr Ian Billinghurst “Give Your Dog A Bone” is an excellent book to read…
    Steve Brown – “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet”
    Dr Karen Becker- “Real Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats, Simple homemade food.

also join F/B groups that are Raw feeding groups like “Raw & Holistic Cat & Dog Support Group” you’ll get heaps of help from this group, a lot of experienced & professional raw feeders in this group.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411906099101822/

#101510 Report Abuse

aimee

Hi Shandi,

As you are new to making a homemade diet my recommendation would be to wait until adulthood to introduce a homemade diet. Use a commercial food during the critical growth period. One that is complete, balanced and has been through growth trials for a large breed dog. Growth is a demanding stage and mistakes in nutrient balance can have life long consequences.

The one pup I know raised on homemade raw, by an owner that had been feeding raw for years to her adults, ended up with poor growth, anemia and needed orthopedic surgery to correct the bone growth problems.

This life stage, growth, is unforgiving. It isn’t the lifestage for you to “cut your teeth” on in regards to raw feeding.

aimee

P.S. Petfooled doesn’t in any way reflect what is happening is the pet food industry. It contained a lot of misinformation. Heck, the producers even went so far as to mislabel the anatomy and taxonomy of the dog in order to fool the person watching it. It is easy to be fooled by PetFooled. They were very good at accomplishing the what they set out to do.. Fool the pet parent hence the title.

#101759 Report Abuse

Suzanne B

Our vet office has 10 vets and all adamantly oppose raw diets. I trust them. We made the choice to go with Taste of the Wild food for our dogs. There are a lot of excellent commercial brands available, though some take a little searching. My dogs are healthy and their digestion is good.

#101871 Report Abuse

Spy Car

Unfortunately, this forum is trolled by anti-raw zealots who repeatedly post the same tired links.

Those interested in a raw diet would do well to seek out Prey Model Raw (PMR) resources.

Fruits, vegetables, and other carbohydrates are not essential to a canine diet, and in fact are negative ingredients.

A PP was correct about by-products being useful in a raw diet. There is, however, a world of difference between feeding fresh and wholesome by-products and the sort of contaminated/condemned items that can legally be swept off slaughterhouse floors to be included in pet food, so long as these items are first sent to a rendering plant.

#104996 Report Abuse

poodaddy

Susan, thanks for your post – really good information for my needs. To All, this is sooooo refreshing to see a site that allows honest fact-based dialog in a forum. If this is the result of Dr Sagman setting up the “system” for open dialog, he should receive big thank yous.

#105159 Report Abuse

poodaddy

I would like to offer some personal insight into this but in no way intend to suggest that any comments above are “wrong”; I just want to provide a view into the prism of how a licensed professional may look at advising consumers. As a preamble, if a selected food works for the dog, and if that dog is in good health, i.e. not suffering from symptoms of improper diet such as excessive anal gland secretion, inconsistent stools, on-set of periodontal issues, skin issues, weight control variations, lethargy, where symptoms are not backed by medical testing, etc, then great.

But, …. as a licensed professional in a different industry, I can tell you the reason why any licensed professional will not advocate to a consumer for doing something that requires a certain threshold level of knowledge to implement it. It is one of professional LIABILITY. I become more and more convinced every day the reason veterinarians recommend a scientifically-balanced commercially manufactured diet is the liability for the vet to suggest anything else is unlimited – period. For example, I would not “recommend a person go build their own wing on a house” or “recommend a person change their food intake to a personal menu” but I would recommend a set of plans designed/sealed by others and or hiring a licensed individual to do the design work and I would recommend an industry professional be consulted before recommending something as vague as “raw diets are good so go do it”. That would invite a level of criticism that licensed professionals are not insured against.

Raw diet is primarily a matter of nutrition science and design; if I were a vet, my initial position would advise a non-professional against a raw diet as a matter of practice. We peeled this back on the pet food manufacturing side with the consultants or nutrition experts internal the manufacturers (which is where the liability is for commercial dog food) and found that our Vet “switched” to become supportive of a raw food diet when our nutrition data was presented and was customized to our dogs and when when combined with a Vet’s prescriptions to treat ailments that now are gone and there is scientific data to back it. It should not surprise anyone reading this post, that our Vet could not say “stop doing that when problems vanished.” The vet knew we had crossed over a threshold and were not coming back. This may surprise you but I would never recommend to anyone to just go do a raw food diet after what I have learned, unless, (1) using another professional’s complete diet with the data to back it up and or (2) doing it yourself … which is a huge commitment to an entirely new level of commitment to control the input data, measure the output data to know with certainty (=/- say ~3%) of what the data is showing.

I hope this provides a more full picture of the why a vet would not “openly advocate to consumers” to go do something that would most likely be FAR worse than buying commercially prepared and manufacturer-backed balanced dog food.

#114631 Report Abuse

Sloane K

To add to the conversation-
    If you go back and analyze what pets were eating back then they did not have access to commercial foods (mainly grains) that they do now. And I don’t believe pets have adapted quickly enough to be able to ingest the commercial kibble sold in stores (loaded with fillers and grains, aka carbs). Pets have always eaten meats, both fatty and lean, as well as bones.

#115208 Report Abuse

Zeke S

I’ve had 2 Newfies in my life. Big breeds are prone to joint issues (as you probably know!). I fed them dry food for their first 2 or so years before switching to chicken; the first 2 ingredients in the dry food were both chicken (deboned and ground). Both lived into their early teens…not that I can attribute that to feeding dry food for the first couple of years, but I do believe that was a factor.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.