Help me please!

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Help me please!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Q
    Participant

Hello
    My boy is 14 years old he is a miniature schnauzer I’ve been feeding him with royal canin hepatic dry food because three years ago he was diagnosed with liver disease thanks to a tick (that’s what the vet told us) so the vet indicated us to feed him only with that food, the first time I gave him those kibbles I noted something that worried me, my dog left a few on the ground and I noticed that they left my floor stained they are very oily and when I put my hand inside the bag it leaves my hand very greasy I asked my vet and told me that it was normal
    so today my dog wasn’t feeling good he looked weak and wasn’t responding I took him fast to the vet, vet took blood and urine tests and gave me bad news my dog has high cholesterol high triglycerides and he told me to expect the worst
    the vet told me he is going to wait for that time so he can sleep my dog meanwhile I can’t do nothing
    I can’t believe what he told me I don’t know if i need to go to another vet!
    how can I save my dog?
    are the kibbles guilty too?
    Can I help him If I give him homemade food?
    Please help me I don’t know what to do
    I found this forum because I was searching for the kibbles brand, they look extremely unhealthy I don’t know where to seek help.

#153446 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Stop doubting your vet. Your dog is age 14, that is a long life for a dog.

Just ask your care and comfort measures. Everything has a life expectancy. It’s not the food. If anything the prescription food probably helped your dog live as long as he has.

Sorry.

#153467 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant

Personally I would put the dog on raw food. Kibble is the worst thing you can feed your dog. I am so sorry your dog is having these issues.

#153488 Report Abuse
    Lori H
    Participant

Hi Cesar,

I totally know how you feel, I was in the same situation as you about two years ago with my dog Buddy. You might want to look at the following website. My dog Buddy (long hair Chihuahua, Dachshund and Pomeranian) has been through a lot, much like your dog. He had so many medical issues including being diagnosed with Diabetes. He is now almost 13 and during his life he has had surgery on his spleen, surgery for bladder stones, been diagnosed with Diabetes, my vet thought he had Cushing’s and I was also told by my vet that he was suffering from liver failure and was preparing me for the fact that Buddy was going to die. The liver failure diagnosis was over two+ years and today, he is healthy, happy, looks amazing and has energy. It has been an amazing turnaround so I know how you feel. I basically had to get him healthy myself. My vet did not support my decision to do what I did, but he is healthy and that is all that matters! I switched vets because I did not believe that the prescription food was helping him, it was killing him. There is not whole food or much nutritional value in prescription foods. I remember asking my prior vet in an email what the difference was between the labels which consisted of a bunch of names I could not pronounce and he never got back to me, that is when I realized that the industry needs a checkup.

If anything, read what Rick has to say on his website. The change in Buddy’s food as well as the supplements, changed his life. Rick has had success getting dogs and cats healthy and insulin free!

http://www.doglivershunt.com

Following is my dogs personal story:
    https://www.doglivershunt.com/buddys-story.html

I now believe wholeheartedly that most vets know nothing about nutrition. They are told to carry a line of food in their offices by one of the large pharma/dog food companies because most of these companies go out and recruit at the vet universities across the United States when vets are in school and provide them with a kickback when the sell either Science Diet or Royal Canin in their clinics, up to 40%. My vet wanted me to have Buddy on Hills Science Diet for the rest of his life! I looked at the ingredients and thought to myself, there has to be something better out there. There was not one thing on there that was considered a whole food or ingredient that comes from the natural world!

I was at my wits end as well and thought that I was going to lose Buddy, but I was not willing to give up so I did a Google search and found an amazing person who brought Buddy back to the healthy dog he is.

If you choose to go with his program, it is not cheap, but I believe that over time, I will save money by not taking Buddy to the vet time and time again because I don’t know what is wrong and having a battery of tests run and racking up bills in the thousands, I have been there!

He was slowly weened off of his processed food Science Diet U/D and placed on a diet of fresh veggies and meat based on a very slow transition to follow with Rick’s help.

I suggest reaching out. I think Rick saved Buddy’s life.

Good luck on your search for information and I hope you find a solution.

If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I am happy to talk to you. I have helped three others with their dogs and I truly believe Rick knows what he is talking about. I put my trust in him and I now have a healthy, happy dog. Lori

#154227 Report Abuse
    Chipy
    Participant

Hi Cesar,

I am so sorry you have been going through this with your dog, but hope that I can offer some information that will be helpful. Dr. Dobias has written an article about treating liver disease naturally which also includes his diet recommendations;

“Feed lower fat meats. Avoid rich and greasy meats such as duck, fatty lamb, bison, buffalo and beef or meat rendered from meat-packing plants. He also recommends avoiding kibble and canned food.”

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11014997-treating-and-preventing-liver-disease-naturally

He also has a liver cleanse protocol that I have found very helpful for my pup:

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/detox-a-hoax-or-an-effective-treatment-method

If you are interested in exploring the option of working with a holistic/integrative vet near you, the following links might help:

https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/
    http://www.civtedu.org/directory/

Wishing you and your boy many years of happiness together! 🙂
    Chipy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.