šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kelly F

Recently, my 2 1/2 yr old blue heeler has begun to limp. Just over a month ago, we were both attacked by 2 american bulldogs. I thought maybe this was the reason, but after having x-rays & sedated palpitation done, our vet believes she has loose kneecaps and recommended science diet j/d formula. However, I have not had good experiences with this kind and the reviews do not seem great either, not to mention the price.

I was looking at Blue Buffalo life protection because it seems to have lots of omega-3 benefits, but after further research, I found that many consumers are not happy with the dog food because it makes their dog sick. There are so many mixed reviews, and I am now no closer to finding a food for my dog than I was in the beginning.

Any advice for a food aimed at joint health that won’t break the bank and is a good quality? She is also currently on a prescription anti-inflammatory, but she is still limping when she walks a while or runs.

#46963 Report Abuse

Hi Kelly,

The only good food I know of for joint care is Victor GF Joint Health / Adult Canine Formula
    with Glucosamine. Here is the website: http://www.victordogfood.com/

However, the amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin in dog food are usually not enough to be therapeutic. There is 750mg/kg of glucosamine and 250mg/kg of chondroitin in this food. I have a senior Great Dane (8 yrs old) that needs joint support. I am giving him glucosamine and chondroitin from Springtime Inc. I use their equine line because my dog is so large but they have a canine line as well. I would check out the Supplement forum and look for threads on joint health. I know there are a few of them. It would probably be most beneficial to get your dog on a high quality joint supplement in addition to a high quality food.

Best of luck!

#46985 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I second the Springtime, Inc. Joint health chews. Have used them many, many years with success for a Poodle mix with both rear luxating patellas. The vet always said he may need surgery one day, but he never had to have it before he went to the bridge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.