🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christina C

I have an older pug who is in the late stages of life. I’m recently retired so I’m devoting myself to making her as comfortable and happy as I possibly can. She is 13, missing several teeth now, and very bad back legs. She has a very sensitive tummy and frequently suffers from yeast infections. I was hoping someone could recommend some good homemade recipes I could make her to help with her issues. The research I’ve done in the past has recommended maybe using a salmon or turkey as a protein. I’m so confused about the whole starch part. I’ve read I shouldn’t give her any, others say yes it’s ok such as brown rice. Any advice would be much appreciated! If you have any exact recipes , I would love them. It’s seems so hard to find.

#128393 Report Abuse
    Saiah J

Hi Christina!
    I noticed you haven’t received a reply to this post yet.
    I have a Pug too! His name is Jeff. He also has a very sensitive stomach. So much so, that I started feeding him nothing but homemade food. So I knew exactly what he was eating. It’s difficult to know what’s actually inside store bought dog food. So many preservatives, additives and minimal nutrition.
    We tried 3 different kinds of dry dog food. Ranging from cheap to expensive. We also tried various kinds of wet food. He would always end up with an upset stomach.
    Since I started feeding him this diet, he has been so much happier. I also noticed his irritated skin has calmed down a lot.

This recipe makes about 15 meals. (1 metric cup per meal) Which is a normal portion size for a Pug.
    I will list the ingredients and method below 🙂

Ingredients:
    3 cups brown rice
    1 cup peas
    2 large sweet potatoes (diced)
    2 large carrots (diced)
    1 large Zucchini (diced or shredded)
    Green beans (finely chopped)
    Lastly, a meat of your choice. I use chicken breast (1.5 lbs) diced. You can use frozen or fresh. I buy my chicken breast in large frozen bags for convenience.

Method:
    1. Cook the brown rice
    2. boil peas, sweet potato, carrot and green beans. You can add zucchini now, or later. Whichever you prefer. I usually just throw all the veggies into the same pot and boil until cooked.
    3. cook chicken in fry pan
    Add everything together and mix thoroughly. Divide into ziplock bags and freeze / defrost at your convenience.

Hope you find this helpful!

#128426 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi
    Yeast Dermatitis-
    food sensitivies only cause Yeasty smelly skin ears & paws when your dog is sensitive to certain ingredients.. So best to do elimination diet, my rissoles below is how I did 1 of Patches elimination diets.
    You start with a meat protein she hasnt eaten before or not often & 1 carb.
    I use Sweet Potatoes & Potato.. My boy is good with Potato for his IBD.

also Sweet Potato is better then rice, boil rice ferments in the stomach, boiled Sweet potato is excellent for senstive stomach & bowel.
    I peel the sweet potato cut up into small pieces about the size of a spoon boil cool then put in those sandwich zip lock plastic bags & freeze then as you need a few sweet potato pieces take them out of freezer & thaw in 15mins & add to rissoles or add with turkey what ever meat you are feding etc or just give 1 piece of sweet potato as a treat..

Follow “Judy Morgan DVM” on her Facebook page..

* Here’s Judy Morgan Pup Loaf, she has a few rescipes.

* Here’s Judys feding a pup with Pancreatitis
    https://www.drjudymorgan.com/feeding-pets-with-pancreatitis/

I changed the Pup Loaf around a bit & I make my Rissole Balls in oven so fat drains out & boil Sweet Potato for my boy who has IBD..

I buy 1kg =2lbs of lean pork mince or lean 5 star lean beef mince I rotate between the 2 meats also can try Turkey lean mince aswell.
    I add 1 whisked egg, 1 teaspoon chopped parsley, some chopped up broccoli heads about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup, I peel & grate 1 carrot, then I mix all together & make into 1/2 a cup for size you can make smaller size rissole balls if you want & put them all on a foiled lined baking tray & bake in oven for 15mins.
    then take the rissoles out of oven & drain any water/fat, turn over all the Rissole balls & cook till ready, about another 15mins, do not over cook meat as it goes like leather & be tuff…Cool then I freeze them in sections.
    Baking in oven reduces fat & you can drain…
    I also peel & boil Sweet Potato Pieces boil cool & freeze. Sweet Potato freezes very well & thaws good. Take out the day before what you need & put in fridge for next day..then I add 1 rissole cut it up or put in a blender & add 1/3 cup sweet potatoes & mix all together also add 2 spoons of tin salmon in olive oil or spring water drain the water or olive oil put in container. Make sure you read the salt % get lower salt %
    you can feed Salmon & Sweet Potato as a small meal but not as a perment meal as you need to balance diet, unless you’re doing an elimination diet, my vet said its OK to not balance meal 1-2 months..
    Or add 1 krill oil capsule to the 1 breakfast meal.. Krill Oil Capsules are good for people who have sensitive stomachs & dont do too well on Fish Oil capsules..

I add “NAS Digestavite Plus Powder” 1/4 teaspoon to 1 of the meal a day to balance the diet.. just make sure diet is balanced over the week..
    Look at “Balance It”
    You can also add 1 crushed dry egg shell a day to 1 of the meals for calcium also add Glucosamine & Chondroiton tablet daily..
    you’ll have to google dose for your size dog..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.